xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ORene

My Approach On Alienation From Species Being a short analysis on it

Alienation was proposed by Karl Marx, he tells us how a capitalist society alienates the people. He talks about several types of alienation; Social alienation, alienation from species being, alienation from self and alienation from labor. I will focus specifically on alienation from species-being.Human beings are alienated from species-being when they feel their position is threatened by a comrade. They change their attitude, activities and try to do better in order to ?protect? their position. This applies to nearly all aspects of life; the most common is probably in work. I will exemplify with two real situations in which alienation from species-being can be seen. Also I will explain how and why it is alienation. Yesterday, ?Ajelo? told me that his position in the football selection was in danger because there were a lot of good players so he felt he was going to be a substitute player. Later he said he was going to skip AP Physics class for a week to have more time for training and practicing football. This way he would show the Football trainer that he is a good player and deserves to be in the selection. In this example as we can see, ?Ajelo? started to work harder and longer in order to keep his place in the football selection. He was alienated because he felt someone else would take his place, so he is going to practice more to be in the selection for the Inter-campus games. This is an example of an attitude and activity change to protect his position since he felt it was threatened. But this is not the only situation in which ?Ajelo? has been alienated from species-being. In Tec, they give a scholarship to the best student of the whole generation. ?Ajelo? has been studying very hard all throughout high school. At first he wasn?t being alienated because he didn?t see many of his comrades studying too hard to earn the scholarship. It was this way for the first three semesters. He was the best student for those three semesters. However in the fourth semester, something bad happened, one of his comrades called ?Rob? began to study hard to win the scholarship. ?Ajelo? immediately reacted and started studying even more than before. He began to sleep less and less in order to get better grades. Everyday until now, he has been focusing on studying for at least 4 hours a day. The competence has gotten so tight that ?Ajelo? does not enjoy school anymore. Everything is about winning that scholarship and he has not been the same person since then. As we can see in this situation, he has been alienated. I consider that this kind of alienation is bad because it makes us less human in my opinion. The difference between humans and animals is that humans do certain things just because they like doing it. This is what makes us universal beings. But when you start looking at things with a utilitarian point of view, you start to judge. Who?s better than whom, what?s better than what, what provides you with the best result, and so on. This causes fear and makes people feel threatened, which causes alienation in their behavior and the activities they do. Note: I disguished the names of the people I used as examples because they use this forum :) they will know who they are when they see this