xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ORene

Existentialism Analysis Me, myself, my life and God

Where am I? Who am I? Why am I here? Life is wonderful… but why? This is not an existentialist crisis. These are the questions humanity has asked itself ever since civilization began. In order to answer these questions, humanity has invented all sorts of things, religions included. We exist without a reason. There is no proof that there is a God as well as no proof that God does not exist. Yet people choose to believe in Him. The question is why? In this essay I will explain why is God the answer we seek, or at least, why do we think He is the answer. We believe in God because we see Him as the answer to most questions about our existence.
First I will start with Thomas Aquinas’ ideas.

…the acorn becomes the oak, the stars move in predictable courses, everything seems to be acting out some purpose or plan.

(Aquinas). St. Thomas Aquinas notices that things happen so smoothly and with such a perfect order that they must have been created by God. He said everything has a cause and, since everything has to come from somewhere; at some point the cause ‘has to be’ God. Now a little bit about Friedrich Nietzsche.

…we should live our lives to the full in it, and get everything we can out of it. The central question is how best to do this in a godless, meaningless world.” Friedrich Nietzsche was a German philosopher.

(Nietzsche). Friedrich Nietzsche was a German philosopher. He was an atheist. He said that life is meaningless and suffering and that we should follow our own morals instead of following the ones that come from someone else. Now I will explain Sǿren Kierkegaard’s ideas.

…what matters more than anything else is the relationship of the individual soul to God.

(Kierkegaard). Kierkegaard believed that life was meaningless unless we managed to get linked to something superior. In other words, unless we link our soul to God, life has no meaning. He also stated that

The individual finds his own identity a problem, and hopes to uncover meaning in life through investigating the mystery of his own existence.

(Kierkegaard) Now I will concretely explain in which aspects I agree and disagree with each philosopher I mentioned earlier. I do believe things happen for a reason. I do not know what the first cause of everything was. I do not know if it was God or just a product of coincidence, nor can I prove either. However I need to believe in something or otherwise my life would be meaningless. Also, everything seems to perfect in this world. For example the human body is so complex and works so well that I become amazed of its perfection. Like Immanuel Kant would say, we can not prove if God exists or not; all there is to it is a matter of faith. That is why I agree with Thomas Aquinas. Nietzsche says God does not exist and that humanity killed Him. He tells us life is meaningless, dark and purposeless. And he tells us to accept it like that. Maybe he could be right. Life can be really disappointing at times, but as a mere human I have no other choice than having faith and hoping for a better tomorrow. However in my opinion he is wrong, because life is beautiful most of the time. It includes a free trip around the sun every year. Personally I do not believe in God, but I believe in Love and wait for a better tomorrow. I agree with Nietzsche, because I think God does not exist. I agree with Kierkegaard because we need to link ourselves to something great, be it an ideal or a God, in order to have a purpose in life. However I disagree with him because I do not believe ‘that something’ is God. In order to have a purpose in life, in order to know why we exist, in order to explain the universe, we need God.
So in conclusion: we can not prove if God exists, or not. However as I have stated, we need to believe in Him or otherwise life would be meaningless. God may not be the correct answer to all the questions about existence. However it is the ‘easy answer’ to them. And that is why most people choose to believe in God. So in other words: We believe in God because we see Him as the answer to most question about our existence. If God had a name, what would it be? I do not know, I would call him Life.

Comment :)