xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
livepcportal

Look At Newbie's Website Its not the best but good enough for a newbie

Rate the site  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello trappers! I have launched my first ever site DigYourPC.com few hours ago. :) It all about PC....thats the tagline of my site....can't think of better than this. It currently lacks a search engine and little bit of graphics which I will be adding once my entrance exams for colleges gets over.....only few months are left....its time to study.
Meanwhile, I just request you to take a look at my site and post your comments here in this thread. So, that I can make it a lot more more better.
Thanks in advance and don't forget to rate my site!!

Edited by livepcportal (see edit history)

My first suggestion would be to change your main content's font from Times New Roman (default) to something else. It's just "blah."

And do a better job on navigation menu. The top black navigation--instead of dark background with black letter on hover, try something like red font on hover. This will get the attention.

Middle blue navigation should not have so much underline. Try text-decoration:none in your css for a, but a:hover text-decoration:underline. This will look cleaner but know that those are links when you hover over the links.

Unless fonts and styles were intentional, I immediately felt the page was not finished especially when I read

Currently, the only tutorial available is of CSS(Cascading Style Sheet).
The CSS Tutorial is divided into various different sections so that a novice can also learn CSS
easily.

Some of the suggestions from my side :1) Design is good just work on those rollover CSS links. color selection is not attractive for menu at header(links) and at the sidebar. Look at some design from oswd.org2) Font is not consistent. Make it verdana,arial or lucida granade. Try and make it better. Times new roman is oldish in my opinion.3) Change most useful tag to most readable or featured. "most useful" is less atrractive. you can make "Popular articles" tag instead(again it's your call for this).4) Content is good just format it. And add more content, it's very low at the moment.

I do not prefer white background.Your website looks great if i ignore background.Change your font,because Firefox uses default - and if i change Firefox's default your website will look terrible.I do not know how much you worked on your website but i can see you didn't care about some small things,the most important ones are good.So in the "group" of most important things is text font and background :) So that is all you should do it.After that you can care about your content,and other things like images,videos etc. If i need to rate i would choose something between great and very good.If you want from one to ten,i would choose 7 or 8.Now,because i work in PHP,i want to say something to the link called "Submit articles or C/C++ projects" :o Why we need to email you when you can create a script which will store all the information user send in the form.If you have a database,any - mysql,mssql,oracle,why you don't make a form which will send a simple database query? So you should more care about your font and background.That is the most important and you should fix it soon.If you fix that you could add something to make it more cool,like images and effects.Because i need to be honest,your website looks a little old.Normally if this is your first project it is cool.Other thing,everybody can see 404 error page with lots of ads and popups.Do x10Hosting allow customizing 404 error page or you do not know about htaccess?

Well first of all when I click your "Home" link which is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ I get a page not found error and I get redirected to x10 hosting page :D

And I recommend using Segoe UI as the font, its easy to read and it's more modern :D

Your blue navbar seems cluttered, try what BuffaloHelp said to get rid of the underline :) and the white font against the icy blue makes it a bit hard to read.

On the links like the "CSS Tutorial" since you have multiple tutorials you should have a drop-down menu that shows all your tutorials before the user clicks :o

Pretty good site d-(^.^)z

Edited by Soviet Rathe (see edit history)

It seems that some of the content on your site(if not all, I didn't search through all) is copied. Get your own damn content and don't copy other people's work!I have no interest in visiting such sites that are maintained data thieves. Let me explain, I saw the last line telling the source but,a) The source should be direct link to the article you are referring to.:) When you use a source, you read the article's content and you your own article based on that - not copy the whole damn thing. If you do copy, I appreciate that you have the FIRST LINE of the article informing that the content is not original, but someone other's work. Something like "This article was originally posted...".Besides, copying other people's content isn't good SEO, you won't get many advertisers wanting to advertise on your site, and not much search engine traffic.As for the poll, why it's only from Excellent to Below Average? Are you afraid of bad results?

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

It's a good niche in my opinion, all abput PC. But I have a question, what is CSS related to PC? But you can just make your website look more modern, it's kind of oldish style, right? Maybe you could implement some web 2.0 styles to make it more attractive. Maybe yopu should copy some of the style of magazines and news websites.

Do not hear webish,he wants to make your website with bad rating and SEO...He tricks you :D Do not copy from news portals and magazines...If you need to copy first,modify something and change styling.Other thing is if you need copy from personal sites which aren't popular.And,if you do not know some programming language instead of copying,ignore and add some plus content.So making a good website is not simple.I started my website like you with copying but now i am doing that and now it is better for me and my public.I need to accept with him,your website looks old but you do not need some special remake.You need beter hover effects and never use white background with that style.It looks like old frames and it isn't cool.It reminds me on my router configuration :o If you want i can make one tutorial for CSS/PHP/HTML/XML.I always want to help but i do not have some time so i can give you a tutorial or two.And are you scared from bad results,i didn't saw but other do. :D If you are allowed to modify your poll add a "Very bad" option for voting :)

goog call bani boy, but with articles, you could be over reacting with your point because a lot of programs give marketing rights to articles which means not only can you copy and paste the whole article legally, but sometimes you can promote it as your own. seo will only be involved where the duplicate content is posted. it wont have anything to do with pages where duplicate content isn't posted. who cares about advertisors when you can easily put google adsense on those pages.

my conceern though is that he doesn't have marketing rights to the articles. i even researched it a bit further and clicked on 1 article "how to set up your own profitable astore". his article suggests it was written by someone by the name of "ray clegg" when in fact, that article was written by someone with the name "George Burnitt". my source for information comes from ezinearticles.com where the original article was posted and where you have to declare that you are the sole owner and author of the article and own 100% of all copyrights pertaining to it.

it looks now that he copied it from another source while the source he copied it from is switching names in who actually wrote it. this is where the confusion comes in....

but like i said above, some programs on the internet has a database full of articles that give you fill marketing rights. including taking credit for writing the article.

if he had purchased those rights or was given those rights, then not only is it perfectly legal, it is good content for his website. and duplicate content is nothing different than having an rss feed.

i like the overall site design and template. i don't really have too many critisisms. if i were to post them, they would be trivial as livepcportal admitted that the site still isn't finished completely. so i give it 8 out of ten for an overall rating. and if he IS breaking any copyright laws, i would suggest editing those articles in his own words....but he IS giving credit to the supposed authors so he isn't really stealing....and authors usually give their permission to post their articles as long as credit is still given in their name. :) so i think you are over reacting, baniboy and seo isn't even really an issue here.

It seems that some of the content on your site(if not all, I didn't search through all) is copied. Get your own damn content and don't copy other people's work!I have no interest in visiting such sites that are maintained data thieves. Let me explain, I saw the last line telling the source but,
a) The source should be direct link to the article you are referring to.
:o When you use a source, you read the article's content and you your own article based on that - not copy the whole damn thing. If you do copy, I appreciate that you have the FIRST LINE of the article informing that the content is not original, but someone other's work. Something like "This article was originally posted...".

Besides, copying other people's content isn't good SEO, you won't get many advertisers wanting to advertise on your site, and not much search engine traffic.
As for the poll, why it's only from Excellent to Below Average? Are you afraid of bad results?

Do not hear webish,he wants to make your website with bad rating and SEO...He tricks you :D Do not copy from news portals and magazines...If you need to copy first,modify something and change styling.Other thing is if you need copy from personal sites which aren't popular.And,if you do not know some programming language instead of copying,ignore and add some plus content.So making a good website is not simple.I started my website like you with copying but now i am doing that and now it is better for me and my public.I need to accept with him,your website looks old but you do not need some special remake.You need beter hover effects and never use white background with that style.It looks like old frames and it isn't cool.It reminds me on my router configuration :o If you want i can make one tutorial for CSS/PHP/HTML/XML.I always want to help but i do not have some time so i can give you a tutorial or two.And are you scared from bad results,i didn't saw but other do. :D If you are allowed to modify your poll add a "Very bad" option for voting :)

:D you're wrong, I ment to copy from design and style of magazines, not to copy from their content. You seem pretty smart. I have read long before finding someone with such good words here on Xisto.

Hmm... it's pretty good, I guess, but I can see that it is a site and not a blog. Perhaps you might fare better if you made it a blog? People will subscribe to your RSS feeds and there will be comments and things and if your site gets popular you can even start a forum and earn some money from your site. Just a suggestion though. :)But anyway, let me see what you can improve. The page is taking quite a long time to load, but I actually think that it might be having something to do with my internet, so I will just not say stuff about that. :o I would suggest you to change your grey sidebar link buttons though, to something that looks more professional, I don't know what, but they just make the whole site look quite bad.I would also change the Times New Roman font so that it fits in with the content of your site, which, in this case I am presuming it would be arial, because the Times New Roman font often makes a site looks very old fashioned, and that is the impression of what your site gave me. Are you using a CMS? Because if you aren't and you coded the whole thing up yourself, then I am very very impressed. :DGood work!!! :D I can't still see the banner because it is still loading, stupid internet. B) But that is all for now. I strongly suggest you to change the font though. Thanks. :D

Well, so many reviews in few hours I wasn't expecting that.

As a result this post is gonna be a long one..

@BuffaloHelp

First of all the top navigation is not supposed to show dark background with black letter on hover. You are seeing black letter on hover because on hovering the background image is changing to silver. I don't why it is happening with you, maybe its compatibility issue as I haven't checked my site in all the web browsers. But, it is working fine in my system. I have checked it in IE 7 and 8, Opera 10 and Firefox 3.5. However, I have tried to fix that issue so please check it again and tell me name of web browser which you have used to access the site. Anyone else seeing similar thing please report it.

I have also removed the underlines in middle blue navigation and changed the font of the site as suggested by you.

@mahesh2k

I have changed the main font of the site to Arial. Now, the font of the middle blue navigation is also changed to Calibri. I haven't changed the tag of Most Useful Article, but I will surely change it....waiting for google adsense approval!

@TheDarkHacker

I have changed the background color of the site to gray so now it is not white... :o

Now, you want to know why I haven't added a form to make user submit articles or C/C++ projects is because I can't make that one right now bcz I don't know PHP. Can you write that form for me? I am ready to show a credit link on my site to your site if you have got one.

Also, you can give any of the tutorial to me, tutorial of PHP or XML would be great. :D

And yeah now very bad option is also added in the poll.

@Soviet Rathe

I have fixed that link issue. Now its working fine.

@Baniboy

I agree with you that the all articles have been copied but I have done that legally. I have mainly collected articles from articlegeek.com and have put it in my site as it is without changing even a single word or a credit link. So, I am not breaking any kind of copyright laws. And once my annual exams and entrance exams get over I will be writing my own articles. And I am not afraid of bad results... :)

@anwii

You pick it up right. The site is not finished yet. Even it is not optimized for search engine. All aritcles lack keywords tag. :D I stopped in between because now I want to concentrate on my studies.

@Nameless_

I can still start my forum but starting a forum will eat up a lot of my time which I wan't to give to studies. I have made my site to earn money, already registered with kontera and waiting for google adsense approval. Font is already changed and yeah the entire website has been designed by me. I haven't used any cms for designing it :D .

Note: I have updated the site please try to visit it again and let your suggestions or criticism come in because that will ultimately make my site a lot more better!!

Nice you improved a lot. I don't know why you choose dark theme as very few people choose it for static/cms sites in technology niche. Header menu is working just fine. Left had sidebar is dark so add red or dark red hover color to it. Try this color (#ca1717). If it's suits your dark sidebar with red hover then i think it will look good. I overlooked that hot links in sidebar, rename it as blog roll or friends site etc. So that it doesn't look like link selling. Rest of the changes are just fine in my opinion. You even did well with that darkish theme a bit.

Hello trappers! I have launched my first ever site DigYourPC.com few hours ago. :) It all about PC....thats the tagline of my site....can't think of better than this. It currently lacks a search engine and little bit of graphics which I will be adding once my entrance exams for colleges gets over.....only few months are left....its time to study.Meanwhile, I just request you to take a look at my site and post your comments here in this thread. So, that I can make it a lot more more better.
Thanks in advance and don't forget to rate my site!!

Dear friend as a beginer its a good one and I think the color combination is also not bad. But what I think it is not made for Internet Explorer as it is not properly opening in Internet Explorer, so dear please be careful about this as we can't avoid any browser, our site should be able to open properly in all types of browsers in same proper manner. One more thing which I think is the color combination on which you have work more even though as a beginer the site is not bad you have done a good job. If you want more suggestions then please feel free to ask it then only you will learn.

I am not some professional but i am good at website managing,scripting,server hosting,and a newbie at Photoshop...Normally that everyone can use brushes and filters like me,but there are some pros like Baniboy which know more.So after all that posts we can see that this website isn't the best.Bad results come,no popularity,no automatic scripts...That isn't something good.Anyway anything can be fixed and solved.As i said in post number 8,you don't need a remake,but take care at your fonts and background.And are you using a free hosting for this? If you are using it,why you are buying domain for it...This isn't beta version,this still should be test #1 and you should make it unpublic and test it.404 errors,no font styling,no background.Primary mistakes :) And,is there difference between design/style and content copying? No,anyway you are copying from the site,which usually is copyrighted and secured.Creating a template isn't hard,but you need some art genes and something which can't be learned.Everyone can't be HTML/CSS pro.As i can see if you are new at this,say to us that you are newbie,and we will help you.If you want,you can learn it.Not for a day,but for a month you can create 5 times better page.Why you don't use popular CMS like every site is using? I can see your host is allowing php and if it allows mysql,install cms.Because you can manage your website from administration panel instead from FTP client and you don't need to edit source or any code.You can find tutorials how to create templates for content menagement system like Joomla! is.You will only need to create a xml file where all template details will be typed,and type few lines in your index template file.As i read in this forum,livecportal,you are more advanced user,and i have feeling for you,that you can make something better then this...I think you should try more,or get some help from others.Making PHP form is easy...Add a form like this one and link it.

<form method="post" action="submit.php">Enter your name:<input type="text" name="nm"><br>Article<textarea cols="20" rows="30" name="content"></textarea><br><input type="submit" value="Send"></form>
Then,create submit.php and add only this code:

<?php$f=fopen(rand(0,1000).".txt","w");fwrite($f,$_POST[content]);Header("Location: index.php");?>
And if you look at your site,you will find file called only with a number and extension ".txt" Edited by TheDarkHacker (see edit history)