xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Need Lilly Info

Out in our back yard we had one of those old tires that had the sidewalls turned up and made into a flower pot, it's probably just under 2 foot tall and about that wide. It's had lillies planted in it for years. I forget the variety name, these are the ones with orange flowers, but they are a single stem with the leaves coming off the stem, not the variety that has the grass like folliage around them. I think some are called tiger lillies and some are called day lilies, I can never remember which is which. Over the years the dirt has erroded out of the tire, and I needed to refill it. I knew if I put the dirt in on top of the bulbs they would be burried too deep and would not come up, so I went ahead and dug them out, they needed dividing anyway. Now I am not sure how to store the bulbs for the winter. I figured it would be ok to put some of them back in the tire after I fill it, but how to keep the rest? Dry them and plant next spring, or what? Anybody have any ideas?