xisto Community
Gazeekoo

Please Help Me Buy A New Computer!

Hello again,This would look much better if I could figure out how to quote people in a Fast Reply...Anyway, I talked to a couple of retailers.I think I'll swap the corsair ram for the equivalent in kingston. It's a little cheaper, and much much easier to get.Also, I realised that a 19" and a 20" TFT cost pretty much the same. But I haven't seen anyone with a 20" screen. Any reason why I shouldn't opt for the 20"?I was thinking of saving up and buying a graphics card next month. I'll have some money then, and in the meantime, I'll just buy the other stuff. Then, I could probably afford the 4670.@ k_nitin_rI was gonna buy a copy of windows 7. Which costs around Rs. 6000. So your recommendation does make sense, but maybe if I buy all the stuff from the same guy, he'll give me a discount. Atleast I hope he does.And whats this about system drivers? Wouldn't I get them with the OS? or with the hardware itself?

Hello again,
This would look much better if I could figure out how to quote people in a Fast Reply...

Anyway, I talked to a couple of retailers.
I think I'll swap the corsair ram for the equivalent in kingston. It's a little cheaper, and much much easier to get.

Also, I realised that a 19" and a 20" TFT cost pretty much the same. But I haven't seen anyone with a 20" screen. Any reason why I shouldn't opt for the 20"?

I was thinking of saving up and buying a graphics card next month. I'll have some money then, and in the meantime, I'll just buy the other stuff. Then, I could probably afford the 4670.

@ k_nitin_r
I was gonna buy a copy of windows 7. Which costs around Rs. 6000. So your recommendation does make sense, but maybe if I buy all the stuff from the same guy, he'll give me a discount. Atleast I hope he does.

And whats this about system drivers? Wouldn't I get them with the OS? or with the hardware itself?

For the RAM, take into account the specifications for latency and timing as well as speed and compatibility with the motherboard. It won't be much of a real-time difference unless you're going for benchmark improvement. (If the difference is a few bucks, you should pony them up for better specs... but if the price difference is significant, I wouldn't bother.)

No reason why not to opt for a larger screen. I honestly think that you won't really be able to tell much of a difference day-to-day, but if they're the same price, go for it. Just make sure that the native resolution is what you want it to be and something that your future graphics card will play nicely with. Also, compare connectivity options... that extra inch in screen real estate probably costs you somewhere else with features, display quality, etc.

Save money and buy the graphics card next month. You never lose out on waiting for technology to become cheaper, but you do lose out if you splurge what you have now on a graphics card instead of saving to get a graphics card that will serve you well and future-proof you better than what you can get now. Be patient and you'll be rewarded with a better graphics card that can render games better... and take this time to research what you REALLY want. (Compare DirectX compatibility, DDR2/DDR3 VRAM and amount, benchmark results, etc.)

System drivers will come with the hardware itself if you are buying things piece by piece. However, your best bet for updated drivers is to go to the manufacturer's website to download the latest and greatest. Sometimes this is a pain in the butt, though, because sometimes the drivers you attempt to download don't fit the hardware you buy and just don't work, or could cause different problems, or you may not even be able to find the driver, period. I would install using the provided drivers shipped with the hardware, then update them using Windows 7 and Device Manager.