xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Wordpress Upgrade Error - Any Solution?

I'm using Wordpress to power my blog and recently when I tried to upgrade it automatically, the process was interrupted by a power-cut at my home. After that if I try the automatic upgrade again, I get a message instantly saying "Installation Failed". I'm guessing some of the files might have been corrupted, and a manual upgrade might be the only way out, but I haven't done manual installation before and am a bit apprehensive about trying it. Any suggestions here?

If Wordpress is anything like Drupal or Magento and you are using xampp, I'd just do the whole installation process again. (from Xampp to Wordpress) Once you get your practice up it becomes a very quick process, although i don't know whether you have some important files associated with your install. (By iterating through the process it is also helpful to build up experience, to help the next time)I had a couple of occasions where i've had to reload xampp to re-register an install. Can't help you to manually update.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

If Wordpress is anything like Drupal or Magento and you are using xampp, I'd just do the whole installation process again. (from Xampp to Wordpress) Once you get your practice up it becomes a very quick process, although i don't know whether you have some important files associated with your install.
(By iterating through the process it is also helpful to build up experience, to help the next time)

I had a couple of occasions where i've had to reload xampp to re-register an install. Can't help you to manually update.

I'm not using XAMPP although I've been meaning to do so for a while now. I'm on a temporary installation of Ubuntu 9.10 right now and will be doing a fresh install in December so I'm not putting in any new programs right now so that rules out XAMPP. It does seem that a fresh install/manual upgrade is the only way, but what I want to know is the procedure for it...

@The SimpletonHi!You've probably got a mix of the old and the new WordPress files. A powercut in the middle of an installation or an upgrade generally means that you have to roll back to the previous backup. Restoring files from a backup is rather pretty easy compared to having to repair a broken install.You can try using either XAMPP or WAMP, both of which are quite popular for running PHP/MySQL/Python/Perl apps.

All you need is to backup your database,using phpmyadmin,and only copy the text from the export menu,and paste it to your new version of Wordpress.I think these steps will help you:1.Go to PhpMyAdmin and click your database.Open tab "Export" and select the tables,click OK and copy all the text in the text area.2.Install newer version of Wordpress everywhere you want,on your local server,or on your internet website.3.Go to your newer Wordpress database and choose SQL query,then paste all the text you got from the option Export.Then submit.4.Your newer Wordpress will have all the posts,comments,menus and everything like old one,but it will be newer version and upgraded...

Hi!@TheDarkHackerI thought about that, but then I figured that the database might have had the changes from the newer version so might have problems running with the older version. It's still worth a try though. If all else fails, re-constructing the old database by looking up data in the existing database copy could be a last resort if the data is really important. If it isn't, oh well - there's always room for improving with a fresh start.