xisto Community
The Simpleton

A Little Talk About Premium Domains

What is the renewal fee of the domain https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl? :o This has to be the big-daddy of all "premium domains" on the internet, right? Ok let's forget about google - they're not going to sell that domain anyway :) - what about all those other domains that we get to see on some sites, listed as "premium"? They're priced at $2000-$100,000 or even more. Is this the fee for one year or are we expected to pay that amount every year? I'm not in a position to buy any of these so-called premium domains because I already have all the names that I always wanted to have, but I'm just a little bit interested in the functioning of these premium domains.

These so called "premium domains" are made for business. They make an easy to remember address, whether because they are commonly used words or related to famous names.For example, let's say that tomorrow we have a new celebrity on the news who become really famous, the name is let's say... Saddam Ratzinger or whatever. So you get smart and buy saddamratzinger.com and saddam-ratzinger.com, etc... So when this new guy wants to make his website for the fans, he'll have to buy it to you. In which case, you can negociate a nice number. It may happen that if you go insane in the price you're asking for, he will go for something similar like saddamratzingerofficial.com, etc... but he knows that some of the traffic which would like to go there will end up in your domain, so having it would be the best option.This is all speculation with internet domains, it's the only way that they can become so overpriced. Hope I made it clear enough

Dear friend I think after paying this amount for once the ownership will be ours and then every year we have to pay the regular amount only. I absolutely don't think that this amount is to be payed every year. I have also seen a trend over there that due to this huge amount some people register a name some what similar to that they would like to register.?

Sites like google and yahoo have brand name associated with their name. I'm not sure about the self hosted domains or registrar based domains. But i think if you go with whois info. Most of the top-500 online business have their domain sticked with their business. So there is no chance any random person can stand up and buy it. Even if any site comes up and mimic the brand name then these sites have lawyers to defend their business. I remember the "worldsex" domain defended themselves. There are many cases where microsoft defended themselves when anyone tried to use their trademark name with mixing it with another domain name. It's obvious that sites do defend themselves in such cases. If you want to fight for your brand on global level better take trademark of your name.

a good example of what you guys are talking about is "nissan.com" they sell computers. not cars. nissan motors took them to court on trademark infringement and lost. nissan motors now is trying to get a federal trademark registration for computers and peripherals. probably because of the direct loss they took in court as future payback.anyway, it's interesting news as far as domains are concerned....

Premium domains are special domains, with some additional value or characteristic, which makes them popular. They may get lots of traffic from search engines or people because of important/popular phrases they contain or mean. I remember a guy in my country, who owned a premium domain and sold it to a local company( a popular tv channel) at price 20 000 euro, adn he regrets that sold it too cheap. That domain is called shqip.com

But when I was in college I have a class about legal things like in design web and stuff, and they told me, that you could do that, buying the name like that but if you weren´t using the domain for anything related with the name then you have to give back the domain and let them buy it at a regular prize or something like that, like if you want to use the nike.com, domain nike would have the right to use it, because they are big and have an advantage over you getting the domain.

I don´t know if I´m wrong but those laws have been changing a lot in the last couple years.

These so called "premium domains" are made for business. They make an easy to remember address, whether because they are commonly used words or related to famous names.For example, let's say that tomorrow we have a new celebrity on the news who become really famous, the name is let's say... Saddam Ratzinger or whatever. So you get smart and buy saddamratzinger.com and saddam-ratzinger.com, etc... So when this new guy wants to make his website for the fans, he'll have to buy it to you. In which case, you can negociate a nice number. It may happen that if you go insane in the price you're asking for, he will go for something similar like saddamratzingerofficial.com, etc... but he knows that some of the traffic which would like to go there will end up in your domain, so having it would be the best option.

This is all speculation with internet domains, it's the only way that they can become so overpriced. Hope I made it clear enough

Yes, you can get into trouble mixing domain names too. I know several breeders (fortunatly I was not one of them) that tried to use the letters AKC in their domain names. Like if I wanted the name SheepdogsAKCpups, I would be promptly attacked by the great and (used to be) powerful AKC. Another company that is even worse than AKC is Toy's R Us. I know several people the took to court over just the R Us part, not just dog breeders, but anyone selling just about anything, like cars R Us, or Books R Us. I personally don't think they are right in claiming soul "owernship" of a letter, but when you got the money and the attourneys, you can pretty much get whatever you want. But to answer the original question, you only buy the domain name one time if someone has the one you want and they want to sell it. But you do have to pay every year to keep ownership of the name, depending on the company you use it's not all that expensive. It's like your copyright to use the name. And if you ever stop paying the yearly fees your name can be sold to somone else simply for the price of registering it.

I'm member of warrior forum and i have seen one case where amazon wants sue one guy for using their kindle trademark in the domain. That guy used the kindle name in domain and is selling amazon products. So this is copyright infringement and also this is against their TOS of affiliate marketing. Amazon contacted him and is asking him to give up domain name. Instead of fighting with them he needs to give up his domain name and continue with affiliate marketing using another domain. If you want to read more about this case, read this thread.

It's amazing to see the level of response he got on his thread. Most of the people replying are asking him to give up on domain and continue good relationship with amazon. They are even telling him how to proceed in such cases. It is informative thread so do check out the link i have posted.

I guess kindles-R-us.com isn't a good idea?

After looking at that case, i don't think that it is good idea anymore. Besides that if they allow one case to let it go then their competitors or many other people will use their trademark products. So i think they'll not let it go easily. And it is acceptable from them they have to protect their business and i don't think anything is wrong with it.