xisto Community
rvalkass

Bad Drivers

OK, I know this is a really common thing for people to have a problem with, but recently it's really got to me, to the point I'm amazed there is still a single car on the road where I live.

Firstly, "no entry" signs. here's what one looks like (in the UK at least):

It means you do not enter that road. Not that you can enter it if it makes your drive home faster, or if it looks like there isn't anyone else there, or if you only want to go a short distance down it - you do not drive down that road in that direction. What is so hard to understand about that? There's normally one sign either side of the road, and the words "NO ENTRY" painted on the road. There's no excuse for missing it. So, do people just do it because they're lazy, or what?

Red traffic lights:

You stop. No questions. You don't speed up to get through before someone hits you from the other direction, or just fly through like the lights aren't there. Also, they apply to cyclists too, yet the vast majority ignore them. Why? They're there for your safety, as drivers don't expect a cyclist to fly across the front of them when they have a green light. Just because you're in a hurry is no excuse to jump a red light.

Stop signs:

Well, the clue is in the name. You stop. Not go slowly, not have a look then speed up. You stop, then look, then go if it is clear. Again, no excuse for missing it - large stop sign on a big pole, solid white line across the road and the huge word STOP painted on the road. If you miss all that then clearly your eyesight is nowhere near good enough to be driving a car.

Level crossings:

OK, you've just got a death wish if you ignore the signals. How is playing chicken with a high speed train weighing many tons worth the few seconds you might save on the journey? Big barriers, big flashing lights and a bell sound all tell you not to cross, and yet people still do.

Tailgating:

Again, why do people do this? All it does is make the driver in front nervous and more likely to crash. Back off and give people room. It takes no effort and takes no longer to get where you're going.

OK, mini rant over - just had to get that out of my system. There are plenty of other problems but I'll hold back for now :)

I am not sure why people do all of these things, They know its wrong or they would not of passed there driving test. I think the UK should make people retake a driving test every 10 years or there driving licence will be suspended.

I am not sure why people do all of these things, They know its wrong or they would not of passed there driving test.

Exactly. Both the practical and theory part of the test require you to know the meaning of all the signs and markings, so people should have no excuse. If people are forgetting then all they need to do is have a flick through the Highway Code (free online) and look up whatever they're not sure of. It seems that if people are forgetting things, they're just ignoring the problem rather than trying to correct it. If people are flouting the rules on purpose then they should be permanently banned from driving for life, simple as that. Trains and planes have incredibly strict regulations and controls, and are strictly managed to ensure that they don't crash. The same sorts of rules are in effect on the roads, but so many people ignore them that they may as well not be there. If someone purposely runs a red light or ignores a stop sign or whatever then they should lose their right to drive for good. Clearly they're not responsible enough and don't realise that what they're driving can kill.

I think the UK should make people retake a driving test every 10 years or there driving licence will be suspended.

I doubt it would be effective. Most people know full well how they're supposed to be driving, but just choose not to drive well. People would just drive properly for their test, then go out and carry on as they always have done. Forcing people to take their test each year would probably drum the rules in so they become habit, but it would be too expensive for people, too expensive to run and require an army of examiners that simply don't exist.

What's it like in other countries? Are the rules of the road ignored by most people, and do they get enforced effectively?

What's it like in other countries? Are the rules of the road ignored by most people, and do they get enforced effectively?

In Finland, all I can say about driving is that people stop at the lights and are usually pretty calm drivers(They stop for the walkers to cross the streets even if they have had the time to go through), I've never seen a car speed through the red lights except an ambulance.As for other rules, I don't know. I live in the capital, I use bus, subway(not the restaurant chain), trains, tram, my bike and my legs. There's no need for a personal car here, every corner is accessible by some public transportation. Helsinki is said to have the best public transportation system in Europe, but those are just the results of a tourist survey. Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

In Finland, all I can say about driving is that people stop at the lights and are usually pretty calm drivers(They stop for the walkers to cross the streets even if they have had the time to go through), I've never seen a car speed through the red lights except an ambulance.

Obviously the emergency services are fine, it's ordinary people doing it that gets me. I don't see it all over the UK, but I've really noticed it down here in Exeter. Drivers here often don't even stop to let you cross on a zebra crossing, let alone if you're just waiting at the side of the road to cross.

As for other rules, I don't know. I live in the capital, I use bus, subway(not the restaurant chain), trains, tram, my bike and my legs. There's no need for a personal car here, every corner is accessible by some public transportation. Helsinki is said to have the best public transportation system in Europe, but those are just the results of a tourist survey.

When I'm here in Exeter I use public transport whenever I can, and it's certainly less stressful than driving. The problem is that it doesn't go exactly where you need it to go, when you need it to get there. Underground trains in London, for example, run every few minutes, whereas buses in Exeter can take 20-30 minutes, which is quite a wait if it's raining or you're carrying loads of shopping! When I'm not at University I have no choice but to drive to get around as my family live out in the country where we don't get many buses to anywhere useful. Generally the drivers there are far better than drivers in Exeter. Perhaps it's contagious - if a few people drive well then everyone else feels they should; if a few people drive badly then everyone else does the same.

Worst case scenario: when you are the passenger of a car who does a lot of these things. You might just end up kissing the floor when you finally get out of the car! Ever since i've started driving, other people's driving started scaring me. Doesn't matter if it is a family member or friend. Some even take forever to brake, and it's a no-wonder when you hear about their brakes not working as good as they used to, even though they got the brakes fixed about a month ago. Then there are those who have to pump a tank full of gas every 3 to 4 days. Not just bad drivers but are not resourceful and don't know how to take care of their stuff.

It means you do not enter that road. Not that you can enter it if it makes your drive home faster, or if it looks like there isn't anyone else there, or if you only want to go a short distance down it - you do not drive down that road in that direction. What is so hard to understand about that? There's normally one sign either side of the road, and the words "NO ENTRY" painted on the road. There's no excuse for missing it. So, do people just do it because they're lazy, or what?

Our signs emphasize "Do not enter." Does that tell you something? :)

Red traffic lights:

You stop. No questions. You don't speed up to get through before someone hits you from the other direction, or just fly through like the lights aren't there. Also, they apply to cyclists too, yet the vast majority ignore them. Why? They're there for your safety, as drivers don't expect a cyclist to fly across the front of them when they have a green light. Just because you're in a hurry is no excuse to jump a red light.

Worst case i've probably seen is those who are not on the turning lane jump in front of those who are on the turning lane, just to make a turn. Then there are those who get on the turning lane just to hold back everyone who wants to turn just so they can get back on the lane that they were on before they entered the turning lane. Lame!

Stop signs:

Well, the clue is in the name. You stop. Not go slowly, not have a look then speed up. You stop, then look, then go if it is clear. Again, no excuse for missing it - large stop sign on a big pole, solid white line across the road and the huge word STOP painted on the road. If you miss all that then clearly your eyesight is nowhere near good enough to be driving a car.

Most people i see at stop signs when it is their turn to stop tend to do that slow down (not stop), look and if it is clear, then go thing. It gets a bit scary when it is my turn to go.

Level crossings:

OK, you've just got a death wish if you ignore the signals. How is playing chicken with a high speed train weighing many tons worth the few seconds you might save on the journey? Big barriers, big flashing lights and a bell sound all tell you not to cross, and yet people still do.

I haven't seen them play chicken, but i have seen people just pile up behind each other to the point where some are standing on the railroad tracks waiting for the light to turn green.

Tailgating:

Again, why do people do this? All it does is make the driver in front nervous and more likely to crash. Back off and give people room. It takes no effort and takes no longer to get where you're going.

Oh, my favorite, that is, when i'm in front of them and it's a single-lane road. No less than 15 miles an hour below the speed limit? Lovely. :o I think i hear them honking—eh, probably just the wind. :D

Generally in Australia people know the road rules and abide by them. However, there many who are aggressive on our roads and "push" others around. Some wont let you enter their lane if your marginally in front, others will pass into your lane even if you are marginally in front and you have to stomp the brakes. You get some that loose control with anger. Generally we are OK, though many tailgate so when you look out of your mirror the person behind you is occupying most of it and looking right at you, no joke! Some people here are too pissed off! :)

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Most people that drive horribly don't care if they are breaking those laws, they only care if they caught. At an intersection nere my home almost nobody stops at the stop sign, they slow down and if they don't see a cop they just keep going.

Once I met a lady from the US who was visiting India for the first time, and she said that in Spain the driving is really outrageous and they simply whizz through everything. And here I was thinking only Indian drives are too carefree!

I thought you had to be careful in India when crossing the street as cars don't stop? (but they don't necessarily whiz around fast).There a lot of interesting facts about the people of Spain... I guess some of their roadways that follow escarpments would be fun to whiz around.

Firstly, "no entry" signs. here's what one looks like (in the UK at least):

well, you know those kids... when you say "DON'T" they heard "MUST", ok i'm just kidding :D

some people, when they in a hurry, or when the destination was just beside the sign, or well... they just lazy. and all the reason that they can give you basically are because they are lazy to move around, right? everybody must already aware what that sign means, yet they disregard it.

Stop signs:

never see it, if they do exist in my country :D

Level crossings:

they sure do :)

my father once tried it (because of his damn childish curiosity of what it feels, i think), good thing that he still good till now.

Tailgating:

is that some traffic-free road? quite rare finding that kind of road in my peaceful village :D

anyway, most indonesian people here are in the "You stop, then look, then go if it is clear" or "

if it looks like there isn't anyone else there

" category. and by the word "clear" and "anyone there", it means the police :o

Without a doubt there are a lot of really bad drivers out there. Have to admit though, I would not of known the meaning of that first sign you pictured, don't remember every seeing one like it, maybe it's just a UK thing?I loved your tailgating picture! All that open road and there's the idiot parked on the guy in front of him's back bumper. I take tailgaters. I have this tendency to tap my brakes when people start parking on my bumper, usually get's their attention and makes them back off. I have a bumper sticker I keep forgetting to put on my car, it says, "Stay off my tail, I'm not in heat." Just a few days ago I heard an ambulance coming up the highway. I could hear it for a long way's off, my ears are good at picking up the sounds of sirens, self preservation for my own hearing I guess, as when the dog hear them they all start to howl like crazy, which when you are inside the kennel building can be deafening. I noticed the ambulance was also honking his horn, which they don't usually do. I heard the honking for quite some time, and finally when they went buy the house I saw the ambulance was stuck behind a car that was not pulling over. the ambulance had to have been behind that car for a LONG ways, there was no reason the jerk in the car should not of noticed him. I seldom wish a ticket on anybody, but I found myself hoping the guy in the car got one, for impeding the ambulance. He sure deserved it.But I think these days the biggest threat to public safty on the highways is the cell phone. What is it about putting one of those things next to your ear that caused people to instantly go brain dead? People talking on the cell phone pay ABSOLUTLY NO attention to anything around them. Watch people on the phone when you go by them if you don't believe me. They are staring straight ahead not looking around, suffering from total tunnel vision, with a dazed look in their eyes.