xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nameless_

I Need Some Suggestions For This Site On Mine... That I have previously made beofre.... Hee hee... :)

NOTE: I really don't know what happened but I posted this thread up before and there seems to be a problem. Not the first time. So I will be posting this thread up again... Thanks and I'm very sorry for that... I have posted it on website discussions (the sub forum) but it didn't work twice, so I have no choice but to post it here in the questions and queries section again. Treat this as a query... Thanks.

Hello people... This is just going to be a quick thread. Some people that I trust on this forum already know this, but recently I have gotten a prize for a website that I have made on commercial scams... many of my friends and their families online want to have a look at what I have done, but I don't want to give them a copy for everyone, as that will be too much of a bother and it will take a long time. And people will be asking why certain people already have access to it and other don't have a copy yet...

So therefore, I have thought up of a solution: Put it up online!!! :)

This way, everyone can then have access to it, and fully enjoy the links properly. I did this in Microsoft Frontpage 2003, by the way, soo... it's not that good... Haha, I'll put it on the showcase once it's up.

The problem is that I don't know what to call it. I mean, my website name is officially "This is not a Scam!", but when you put it like this:

thisisnotascam.co.cc (or any other URL extension)

it doesn't look good at all...

so I was thinking of something like scamproof or something. I mean, I will definitely be keeping this website up online (with a free host, of course.... :D), and maybe use Adsense on it (haha, I am so evil sometimes), so I want a good domain name for it that actually looks good. Will "scamproof" do the job, or are there any other suggestions?

Or should I just use thisisnotascam? Thanks for any incoming advice... :o

NOTE: I really don't know what happened but I posted this thread up before and there seems to be a problem. Not the first time. So I will be posting this thread up again... Thanks and I'm very sorry for that... I have posted it on website discussions (the sub forum) but it didn't work twice, so I have no choice but to post it here in the questions and queries section again. Treat this as a query... Thanks.

Topics in the Moderated area of the forums need moderator approval before they appear. Most people don't spot that and post topics two or three times and then get annoyed they haven't appeared instantly. It's only there to stop the large amounts of spam that would otherwise get through and get displayed on the forums. I've removed two copies of your topic, and moved this one back to the Website Discussion section :)

Hello people... This is just going to be a quick thread. Some people that I trust on this forum already know this, but recently I have gotten a prize for a website that I have made on commercial scams... many of my friends and their families online want to have a look at what I have done, but I don't want to give them a copy for everyone, as that will be too much of a bother and it will take a long time. And people will be asking why certain people already have access to it and other don't have a copy yet...

So therefore, I have thought up of a solution: Put it up online!!! :o

This way, everyone can then have access to it, and fully enjoy the links properly. I did this in Microsoft Frontpage 2003, by the way, soo... it's not that good... Haha, I'll put it on the showcase once it's up.

I'm guessing this was some sort of school or personal project then? Traditionally websites are put online when you want lots of people to look at them, so that's a good idea :D

The problem is that I don't know what to call it. I mean, my website name is officially "This is not a Scam!", but when you put it like this:

thisisnotascam.co.cc (or any other URL extension)

it doesn't look good at all...

It's like turning to a friend and saying "You know, I'm not going to set a man-eating tiger on you". While perfectly true, and logically reassuring, it doesn't generally fill people with confidence! The same goes for that URL - while perfectly true, most people will be incredibly suspicious of clicking a link titled "thisisnotascam.tld".

so I was thinking of something like scamproof or something. I mean, I will definitely be keeping this website up online (with a free host, of course.... :D), and maybe use Adsense on it (haha, I am so evil sometimes), so I want a good domain name for it that actually looks good. Will "scamproof" do the job, or are there any other suggestions?

I'd certainly advise against "thisisnotascam.tld". The "scamproof" addresses already look taken for most TLD extensions, so you would be competing against those domains in the search results. "Scamsafe" was my next idea, which looks free on the .net TLD, although you would be competing against the .com and .org versions. "safe-scam.com" is also available, but I'm not sure that really works as a web address and to tell users what the site actually offers. "Scam-safety.com" also looks like it's available. There's some to think about anyway :D

Rather than using Adsense, I'd recommend Project Wonderful. People bid for the advertising space on your site and you get paid for the time the advert is displayed rather than the number of hits or clicks. Certainly worth a look compared to Adsense.

Topics in the Moderated area of the forums need moderator approval before they appear. Most people don't spot that and post topics two or three times and then get annoyed they haven't appeared instantly. It's only there to stop the large amounts of spam that would otherwise get through and get displayed on the forums. I've removed two copies of your topic, and moved this one back to the Website Discussion section smile.gif

Coolio!!! Thanks! I didn't know that... :):o:D But now I know... :D But thanks for removing my topics for me... :D

I'm guessing this was some sort of school or personal project then? Traditionally websites are put online when you want lots of people to look at them, so that's a good idea tongue.gif

Haha, yes, it was... we had to so a project on anything on commerce and I made a website. It was pretty rushed, actually. I was still working on it on the day, and I had to hand it in late, but luckily I didn't get any marks taken off, and the teacher like it and sent it in to be judged...

Well, I wouldn't want LOTS of people to look at it. I mean, it is very regional and only applies to a certain state in a certain country, so I will be using a NOT a top level domain instead (and hence the co.cc in the example)

It's like turning to a friend and saying "You know, I'm not going to set a man-eating tiger on you". While perfectly true, and logically reassuring, it doesn't generally fill people with confidence! The same goes for that URL - while perfectly true, most people will be incredibly suspicious of clicking a link titled "thisisnotascam.tld".

Haha, it's meant to be for teens and they are meant to be for my target audience. And this is a site that tells them how to avoid scams, so if they are in reality, stupid enough to click on a site with a name like that, then they will easily get scammed in real life. Which is why I made that my site title. Though it wouldn't look good as an URL though.

I'd certainly advise against "thisisnotascam.tld". The "scamproof" addresses already look taken for most TLD extensions, so you would be competing against those domains in the search results. "Scamsafe" was my next idea, which looks free on the .net TLD, although you would be competing against the .com and .org versions. "safe-scam.com" is also available, but I'm not sure that really works as a web address and to tell users what the site actually offers. "Scam-safety.com" also looks like it's available. There's some to think about anyway tongue.gif

Like I said, this isn't going to be a popular website. In fact, the only people that will be going into this site will either be people that happen upon my blog and then into my "projects" page and got interested, or people that were initially interested in this website in the first place, like the people that I am doing this for... B)

And the reason why I chose "scamproof" is because there is a "scamproof" button in my site... :( That make the perfect example why people and how people get scammed...

Rather than using Adsense, I'd recommend Project Wonderful. People bid for the advertising space on your site and you get paid for the time the advert is displayed rather than the number of hits or clicks. Certainly worth a look compared to Adsense.

Haha, maybe I might do that for my blog. But not for this. Because basically no one will want to got there anyway. Like I said, it is very regional and only applies to a certain number of people, and if they wanted information on how to not get scammed or how to get rid of a scam that they got into quite badly, they would be looking for information on a government website, not am eye-catching, bright coloured website like mine... :(

Wow I didn't know that you won a prize - so first of all congratulations! :) I think you're better off with a free domain for this one, because it's just a display site as you mentioned and if it gets really popular then you could consider getting a TLD. I don't have any suggestions right now but the ones above do seem good - if you're trying for a co.cc domain then I'm sure you'll get lots of options...Hmm I'll think of something in the meantime

Haha, thanks for the compliment... Well, I have slept for the night and I don't see any new suggestions coming in. I've read your post already the night before, The Simpleton. I might go for "scamproof" instead.... :) I'll wait until when I come back for more suggestions.... :o Haha, I don't think I'll ever get a TLD for that site though. Won't be popular anyway.... :DBut yeah, I'll put it up for showcase once it's up. I just made a copy from the school computer to my USB and now I just pasted onto my Mac Desktop, so I'm pretty ready to go on... :D Cheers!!!

I think any domain with the word "scam" could begin raising peoples alarm bells. What about - dont defraud me or shoot the swindlers or dont be a victim.I can only really account for myself, any word in a domain that has "scam" in it, i will stay well clear of. Unless it was something like scambusters (that one has been taken). It has to be something which reinforces the message that scamming is not okay and people won't be a victim.

thisisnotascam is too long a domain name thou it can be easily remembered. As highlighted my inverse_bloom, having the word scam in the url is will put people on alert, at least for me. And most probably, they will avoid it all together, well I do avoid them.

Haha, anyway... I read your warning a bit too late... the site is now online, but I can easily change the domain name anytime because it is now FREE!!! :) Haha, but anyway, I ended up with scamproof instead... :o You'll see why if you go to my sitemap and then the "Do-Not-Click!" Button. :D But anyway, not a lot of people will be visiting it anyway, so... I don't really mind. The main people going there will be people that are actually interested in seeing my site (and already know what it is) or curious people that happen to come upon my main site and then go to my projects page and then land there.

But either way, feel free to check it out. :D

just remember that the more suggestions you get from other people, the less credit you can take your own self. i think you're smart enough from talking to you to decide some things on your own.

start believing in your own self and youyr abilities. you have a lot to offer and share and it's being hidden by all your confusion and questions.

thisisnotascam is too long a domain name thou it can be easily remembered. As highlighted my inverse_bloom, having the word scam in the url is will put people on alert, at least for me. And most probably, they will avoid it all together, well I do avoid them.

ahahaha

i love your "tips", especially that "Be very careful if the offer says ?This is not a SCAM!!!? " one when i remember that you use /thisisnotascam/ on your site :)

anyway, i have one suggestion. please make a login form box or link on the upper page :o

haha... thanks a lot. What do you mean? For the thisisnotascam site? Because that is plain HTML, with no use of CMSs or anything, I don't know how to make a login thing, and I don't think I have any use for a login module in that site anyway. If you are talking about my main Philosophy Site, then it already has a login thing, though I have now figured a way to enable Guest commenting UNDER THEIR NAMES. :) It's to encourage people to leave a comment on my site. :D

Haha, yes, it was... we had to so a project on anything on commerce and I made a website. It was pretty rushed, actually. I was still working on it on the day, and I had to hand it in late, but luckily I didn't get any marks taken off, and the teacher like it and sent it in to be judged...Well, I wouldn't want LOTS of people to look at it. I mean, it is very regional and only applies to a certain state in a certain country, so I will be using a NOT a top level domain instead (and hence the co.cc in the example)