xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bizchina

Trap 17 ? Good Or Bad ? Is free ? really worth the hassle

I joined Trap 17 a couple of months ago, I was then warned for 'spamming' - which I had done inadvertently - since I am not an experienced 'spammer' I had no idea what it meant. Immediately upon being told not to do it - I stopped. I had posted just a few messages anyhow and freely admitted what I had done. Then a few days ago - I went to log on - and was told I couldn't log on because I had 'spammed' again. Which I had NOT! I was given no explanation - and was told I was banned for 5 ( or 7 ) days - but they left my website up ?? So - i couldn't post. I couldn't contact anyone to ask why someone though my posts were spam ( which they most definitely were not ) and had no way to explain myself. I then contacted Opaque a few days after the ban finished - ( I had lost interest to be honest at the unfair way I was treated) and he told me they have so many messages that they don't have time to inform me of which message they thought I had spammed! But they had time to decide one was spam ( which NONE of them were ) but could't let me know which one they had banned me for ?I feel that some people on here are on a power trip - and just arbitrarily decide that something is spam when they have no idea at all. Does anyone else feel that they were 'banned' for no reason at all ? I would be interested to know. I won't bother using my web space any further - its too unreliable you can get banned for absolutely nothing - and I won't be using any of the advertised links either as they are probably run by the same people.Mike Bruce

Eithera ) The script was rong and you shouldnt be bannedB ) You posted a lot of short messages or messges that have copyrighted material in itc ) You posted messages contaning other information not qouted but just copied and pastedd ) You coppied fro other sites.I've been hosted with Xisto for 6 months now, there has been no incidents at all concerning how I feel "Home" at Xisto.I've checked few posts you made, I found 3 qoutes without a message, and a few Copied links... This was probably seen as spam and could have gotten you banned...

I've checked few posts you made, I found 3 qoutes without a message, and a few Copied links... This was probably seen as spam and could have gotten you banned...

I could see why you would get banned for that. Copying is a definite no no. If quoting something add some of your own comments. As for coping and pasting a link make sure it is relevant. Make sure it isn?t already in the thread. You may even want to provide a brief comment on what it contains and rate the quality of the material. I think you should of got more warnings though. Only giving one warning and little explanation is awful harsh. Antitrust got banned for copping posts but he did it a lot before he got banned. Then again maybe the mods are fed up with new members not taking enough effort to learn the rules. People come on to this site as I did impatient to find a suitable web host and with misconceptions of what is expected. Perhaps this frustrates the moderators.

edit:

I just briefly looked over your posts to and they don?t seem overly short. I do suggest putting quotes around material you taken from other web sites just incase the material in the quotes is not included in the word count. That is to make sure your not cheating. Although looking at your rep it appears that your spam may have been deleted.

I agree that mods here at Trap are a bit anal about spam. As soon as you make a short post it's regarded as if you are trying to get your post count up. I'll admit, most of the time they are. But, that doesn't mean all of them are. I find at Xisto a lot of times it's just black and white when it comes to posts. Spam and not spam. Nothing in between. Although, I do believe it has gotten better with the new hosting credit system.Just keep in mind that many of the mods here are just kids and they really don't have experience running or moderating a message forum. In fact, I'll bet more than 2/3 of the members on this entire board are minors (under 18).

Lol, I think opaque is a mature person, so he considers what you immature people may not consider to be spam....... Just an idea? But back to the topic, Of course Xisto is a great thing. I was paying up to eighty dollars a year for hosting until I found Xisto. Also Xisto offers some better stuff than a majority of paid hosting packages. Free MYSQL with UNLIMITED databases, Thats awesome, plus unlimited emails and such.

NONE of what I have posted here after being warned by Zenchi is copied. Its all typed by myself and none of it is directly copied from any site. Of course maybe I have read some article and digested it - then written about it and put my own slant on it - but we all receive information from other source and digest it - thats life ( Unless we are Einstein or someone similar who thinks up something original)I tried to write intelligent replies to others questions - or to start a new discussion on something that I was interested in - and just got arbitrarily banned for that ?Mike Bruce

Its all typed by myself and none of it is directly copied from any site. Of course maybe I have read some article and digested it - then written about it and put my own slant on it - but we all receive information from other source and digest it - thats life ( Unless we are Einstein or someone similar who thinks up something original)

48930[/snapback]

Hummz, so there are very very much einsteins, since everything has to come from somewhere.... (Or it just teleports ^-0)

Whats rong with being "Minor"? Young people learn faster then old people ^^

Trap17 is not good, it's awesome. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have so many members. Would you rather spend a few hours posting and getting enough credits for thirty days or spend a whole weeks paycheck on hosting for a year? ..I choose T17.

There will be bad times, if what you posted wasn't spam, then (as was already stated), it could have been an error with the script. Also, Xisto is a VERY GOOD host! I'm gonna stay here for as long as possible! I think it's a very great site, that's watched very carefully by the moderators (and OpaQue). Just remember this: Everything on this site was designed by a human, and humans make mistakes, so a program they make can also make a mistake.

Too bad for you bizchina... it sucks that you think you were ripped off. I have a feeling that the admins are a bit strict, but that doesn't mean that they are wrong for banning you. I'm sure that they wouldn't ban you unless you were actually spamming. Since you apparently don't know what spamming is, as you say you don't/didn't, you probably did make a mistake. It sucks when you get punkished for making a mistake that you didn't mean to make.I've been histed by Xisto for less than a week, but so far, I've VERY appreciative and content with this hosting. When I post a message, I'm surely not lazy at all and I post a long email. In fact, as I'm typing this reply I'm going much further than I initially expected to. But that's a good thing. I think Xisto may be the best "free" host there is, or at least it was the best I was able to find. So don't be mad at Xisto because of your misfortune.Just be sure to post long, and good post like this one. I think of it as if I were writing an email or an article for a newspaper. That's what they want. You have to give back to Xisto for the great service they provide you in return. Spam is pretty much not doing this, what they want. Provide new an unique material that will add to the growth of the community... they need this for more hits, so that they can get the revenue they need from the ads on the web site.

Xisto is not good, it's awesome. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have so many members. Would you rather spend a few hours posting and getting enough credits for thirty days or spend a whole weeks paycheck on hosting for a year? ..I choose T17.

catching up on all the old posts here and found this. I agree Xisto is the best site around. as for some of the past posting here in this thread. All the mods here I have found be them old or young do a heck of a good job in keeping up with all the spam or just bad posts. In my time here I too have had 1 warning. It was exsplaned to me what for. But yet have I ever seen a Mod or infact even a member of Xisto with any kind of bad attitudes.