xisto Community
Nameless_

A Query For Catergorizing My Blog Posts On My Niche On philosophy and such, that is...I dont know what to do...

Heya people.You may have noticed lately that my name hasn't been as active as they were before for the past few days... No, I haven't been away, but I have been working on my new and first site, a philosophical blog that aims to inspire people and look at the world... um... the way I look at it... :)I believe that this blog is rather unique, because in all the philosophical blogs that I have come across, they are, to me, rather boring, and uses a lot of technical words. I want to show this world what I, as a previous primary student and a current teenager, look at this world myself...However, to make things easier, I want to catergorized my blog posts into categories... the problem is this, however. I don't know how to categorize my blog posts...... Unlike the "normal" philosophy that you learn in university and all that, like natural philosophy, um... political philosophy, and so on and so on, my posts will be slightly different, and I don't know how to categorize them... I don't know how slightly different they are too... :DThey will be about like, the meaning of life, how we fit into this society, to other trivial things like the bee I saw the other day that made me think of something about life and how science fits into this world and all that... How do I categorize all that?Does anyone have any idea(s) on how I am to catergorize all my blog posts? I have written my first blog post but I haven't published it yet, because I want to get this done first... I don't want anyone copying it, but this is probably one of the "very different" blog posts that I have written. So I am trusting you people... :o If you are interested, PM me and I will mail it to you... and you can tell me how to categorize that... and you can also get an idea of the posts that I will be making on my blog... THANKS!!!Also, this is out of topic, but it is related to my blog... How can I enable categorization and free tagging in drupal???Thanks.... :D for all your help, I hope I didn't take too much of your time to get this message across to you... :D

there you go thinking to much again....sheeesh. first of all, obviously you are starting with 0 catagories. don't pre make the catagories. when you write a post, first see if it can fit in to any catagory that is already there. if it can't, or you feel you can create another catagory for that post, then create the catagory before you publish.....then publish under the new catagory.so what i am telling you is to play it by ear for each post. catagories....just like the titles of your posts, should contain 1 or two keywords for the search engines that directly relate to your content.did you already figure out how to automatically name your posts and folders without them sounding generic in the pathname? this is also important

How do I categorize all that?

As I'm sure you know from looking at other blogs, most people now use tags rather than strictly defined categories. This means you are not restricted to a few limited categories, which are not always suitable for a particular post. It also allows you to see which areas you are writing in the most, as those tags will have more posts associated with them. They're easier for your users too. Say they want to find an article on French politics - they can search for the tags "France" and "politics" rather than looking through ambiguous categories (would it be in Politics, Europe, Opinions, or whatever).

Does anyone have any idea(s) on how I am to catergorize all my blog posts?

Tag each one with key words related to the content of the post. Don't make the tags so vague that most posts get assigned them - make them specific enough that each one narrows down the content. Of course, make them related to the actual content of the post too. Too many people tag posts on their site with supposedly related terms that turn out to be useless. Just imagine you are trying to find the post you have just written - what words would you associate with it that make it stand out from your other posts, and what words describe its general topics?

Also, this is out of topic, but it is related to my blog... How can I enable categorization and free tagging in drupal???

For free tagging:

Click "Add vocabulary"

Call it something like "Tags" and give it a general description if you want to

Tick the content types you want to be able to tag (usually story, sometimes page too)

Tick the "Tags" and "Multiple select" boxes. If you want your posts to require tags, tick the "Required" box too

Click Save

For defined categories:

Click "Add vocabulary"

Call it "Categories" or something

Tick the content types you want to categorise

Make sure "Tags" isn't ticked. If you want to be able to put a post in multiple categories, tick "Multiple select". If you want to require all posts to be categorised, tick "Required"

Click Save

Click "Add terms" for this vocabulary

Type your category in the "Name" box

In the Advanced Options section you can assign a parent for each category (such as Pets > Cats, Dogs, Fish) and also synonyms

Repeat from step 6 for each category you want to add

there you go thinking to much again....sheeesh. first of all, obviously you are starting with 0 catagories. don't pre make the catagories. when you write a post, first see if it can fit in to any catagory that is already there. if it can't, or you feel you can create another catagory for that post, then create the catagory before you publish.....then publish under the new catagory.

so what i am telling you is to play it by ear for each post. catagories....just like the titles of your posts, should contain 1 or two keywords for the search engines that directly relate to your content.

did you already figure out how to automatically name your posts and folders without them sounding generic in the pathname? this is also important

ARGH!!! I know, right? I always do that... :D :D B) One step at a time, of course... this is what happened to me three years before and the reason why I am starting this blog so late. I will listen to you... again for the tenth time or something. I can't do that again... :( OK, I'll start blogging TODAY. And I mean it... :)

I still can't think of any new categories... but Hmm... And no, I don't know how to do that yet... making names sound not generic... rvalkass, how do I do that?

As I'm sure you know from looking at other blogs, most people now use tags rather than strictly defined categories. This means you are not restricted to a few limited categories, which are not always suitable for a particular post. It also allows you to see which areas you are writing in the most, as those tags will have more posts associated with them. They're easier for your users too. Say they want to find an article on French politics - they can search for the tags "France" and "politics" rather than looking through ambiguous categories (would it be in Politics, Europe, Opinions, or whatever).

Tag each one with key words related to the content of the post. Don't make the tags so vague that most posts get assigned them - make them specific enough that each one narrows down the content. Of course, make them related to the actual content of the post too. Too many people tag posts on their site with supposedly related terms that turn out to be useless. Just imagine you are trying to find the post you have just written - what words would you associate with it that make it stand out from your other posts, and what words describe its general topics?

For free tagging:

Click "Add vocabulary"

Call it something like "Tags" and give it a general description if you want to

Tick the content types you want to be able to tag (usually story, sometimes page too)

Tick the "Tags" and "Multiple select" boxes. If you want your posts to require tags, tick the "Required" box too

Click Save

For defined categories:

Click "Add vocabulary"

Call it "Categories" or something

Tick the content types you want to categorise

Make sure "Tags" isn't ticked. If you want to be able to put a post in multiple categories, tick "Multiple select". If you want to require all posts to be categorised, tick "Required"

Click Save

Click "Add terms" for this vocabulary

Type your category in the "Name" box

In the Advanced Options section you can assign a parent for each category (such as Pets > Cats, Dogs, Fish) and also synonyms

Repeat from step 6 for each category you want to add

Hmm... OK, thanks... I'll see if that works, and if it doesn't, I'll see what I can do over the next few days... :o I'm sure it won't be too much of a problem if I catch up with all the posts that I will do (once every two days) with all the tagging and all that...

Oh, and by the way, like anwii said... how to I make the URLs automatically non-generic and readable by search engines? I believe that this is important, and I think that you gave me something like that before.... I just don't like the date bit... but anyway... I suppose that doesn't matter either... the only problem is FINDING the name of that module...

ARGH!!!

At least I got the first post done.... I'm not sure if the name is good though. Give me new suggestions if you think the name isn't as good as it can be... :D

I agree with the above posts - don't be in a hurry to create categories...first get some posts done and you'll have a clear idea where your thoughts are going, and then it would be better to categorize them - just my thought...

Haha, OK, thanks. I have successfully added the tags thing on my site, but for some reason drupal seems to make it seem like "Categories" instead... Oh well, as long as it works... I mean, have you read my first official post? One of the tags was "river". I really do hope that my categories won't turn out to be something like that ("river") instead.... :)Haha, anyway, I have now change my signature to my site's URL. I hope that I will be able to keep up with blogging once every two days!!! :o:D :D and I hope that this site will last me for the rest of my life.... :DB):(

Haha, OK, thanks. I have successfully added the tags thing on my site, but for some reason drupal seems to make it seem like "Categories" instead... Oh well, as long as it works... I mean, have you read my first official post? One of the tags was "river". I really do hope that my categories won't turn out to be something like that ("river") instead.... :)

I've taken a look at your site and the tags look good and follow the 'standard' set for tagging by most websites. As your site grows you might look into getting a Drupal plugin that changes the font size for tags depending on their popularity or whatever. That will allow people to see instantly which tags are most popular, and find your most popular content and topics. That's something for the future though.

Haha, anyway, I have now change my signature to my site's URL. I hope that I will be able to keep up with blogging once every two days!!! :o:D :D and I hope that this site will last me for the rest of my life.... :DB):(

Keep a regular schedule and stick to it. If people can't predict when content will appear then they will likely not bother to hang around and wait for it. Even if you're not getting a lot of traffic (inevitable with any new site) stick to your schedule and keep posting. Search engines will index everything and you'll gradually attract more users - even from very old posts that are still popular.

A quick suggestion - reduce the size of your sig a little coz to be honest, it's too big :) A banner would look much neater and professional but if you can't get one, reducing the size of the text will look much better

I've taken a look at your site and the tags look good and follow the 'standard' set for tagging by most websites. As your site grows you might look into getting a Drupal plugin that changes the font size for tags depending on their popularity or whatever. That will allow people to see instantly which tags are most popular, and find your most popular content and topics. That's something for the future though.
Keep a regular schedule and stick to it. If people can't predict when content will appear then they will likely not bother to hang around and wait for it. Even if you're not getting a lot of traffic (inevitable with any new site) stick to your schedule and keep posting. Search engines will index everything and you'll gradually attract more users - even from very old posts that are still popular.

Yeah, well, I'm using the views cloud module. It's meant to do exactly what you said (different font sizes) with flash, but it doesn't seem to be working... but I guess it doesn't really matter now... :) Like you said, that's something for the future. And yes. I will get a regular schedule and stick to it. I will probably not be listening in class and typing up my blog posts anyway.... :D That was exactly what I did for the "river" post. :o I'd like it if that post became popular though. I liked that one a lot.

(By the way, the Share This module doesn't seem to be working. But I've made an account on Drupal.org right now, and I'll be able to participate in their discussions.... YES! Apparently it doesn't really working at the moment. But anyway... :D I'm trying to find a way to create three more blocks in the footer thing. It's so hard because this theme is basically empty, so I can't even find the text file for creating blocks.... :D)

Yeah, well, I'm using the views cloud module. It's meant to do exactly what you said (different font sizes) with flash, but it doesn't seem to be working... but I guess it doesn't really matter now... smile.gif Like you said, that's something for the future. And yes. I will get a regular schedule and stick to it. I will probably not be listening in class and typing up my blog posts anyway.... tongue.gif That was exactly what I did for the "river" post. smile.gif I'd like it if that post became popular though. I liked that one a lot.
(By the way, the Share This module doesn't seem to be working. But I've made an account on Drupal.org right now, and I'll be able to participate in their discussions.... YES! Apparently it doesn't really working at the moment. But anyway... smile.gif I'm trying to find a way to create three more blocks in the footer thing. It's so hard because this theme is basically empty, so I can't even find the text file for creating blocks.... tongue.gif)

well you are doing a fine job till now - you've decided not to put "categories" then? I ask because I can only see Tags over there and not categories, although in the posts' summary it does say "categories". Oh well...the layout is pretty good anyway :) Oh and one quick suggestion - if you're not planning to have user accounts for your site, try to remove that "Login" link from the footer. Just put the link as a bookmark for yourself and let the public not see the link - it would be neat! :o

he's using catagories. not tags. that's fine. tags are relatively new and a subdivision of catagories anyway....but ummmm.....nobody will search under some of the catagories he has.....haha....but that's better than creating no catagories at all. nameless will learn as he goes. he's doing a great job

btw- i will always be anonymous when i post.....

well you are doing a fine job till now - you've decided not to put "categories" then? I ask because I can only see Tags over there and not categories, although in the posts' summary it does say "categories". Oh well...the layout is pretty good anyway :) Oh and one quick suggestion - if you're not planning to have user accounts for your site, try to remove that "Login" link from the footer. Just put the link as a bookmark for yourself and let the public not see the link - it would be neat! :o

he's using catagories. not tags. that's fine. tags are relatively new and a subdivision of catagories anyway....but ummmm.....nobody will search under some of the catagories he has.....haha....but that's better than creating no catagories at all. nameless will learn as he goes. he's doing a great job

well yeah a great job is being done on the site and it will only keep on improving :)

That's odd, coz I saw someone named anwiii in one of the pages over there :o

A quick suggestion - reduce the size of your sig a little coz to be honest, it's too big A banner would look much neater and professional but if you can't get one, reducing the size of the text will look much better

A small request from The Simpleton has made me reduced my signature to a smaller size of five. Is that better? I don't want to make it any more smaller again now. :) I don't know about a banner... but people would be more likely to click on a text link than a banner because they won't know whether it is a link or not, right??? :(

well you are doing a fine job till now - you've decided not to put "categories" then? I ask because I can only see Tags over there and not categories, although in the posts' summary it does say "categories". Oh well...the layout is pretty good anyway Oh and one quick suggestion - if you're not planning to have user accounts for your site, try to remove that "Login" link from the footer. Just put the link as a bookmark for yourself and let the public not see the link - it would be neat!

Haha, OK then... I thought it was wierd, putting the log in thing there. But I've seen a couple of websites do that, so I thought I should do that too... but I guess you are right. The best blogs don't have something like that down at the bottom of their footer. :o I still have to change the colour of the links as well... :D :D

What!!! It's meant to be tagging!!! Not categories!!! :( Argh!!! I followed exactly what rvalkass told me to do though. B) But it does say categories. It's meant to be tags... how do I change that??? :D:( :( :Like you said, no one is going to search "river" or "mouth" or "moth" as a category!!! :( What have I done wrong now???

Plus, why do you want to be anonymous??? Now I won't know whether it is Baniboy commenting or you commenting. :( Another point is that I would like to see your website (do you even have one?), you do, right? Because you wouldn't be in Xisto in the first place... :(

But argh... now there will be two anonymous people posting and maybe one will be arguing with another and they will look like they are arguing with themselves because no one will now which is why and I will be like, yes, Anonymous is right, but Anonymous is wrong. And I won't even know which anonymous is which. :( Booo hooo.

well yeah a great job is being done on the site and it will only keep on improving

That's odd, coz I saw someone named anwiii in one of the pages over there

Haha, that's the first comment. I think anwii meant that he will no only be Anonymous to my site. :( By the way you mean it will only keep improving, does that mean that my site is hitting rock bottom?

Haha, jokes. :(

By the way you mean it will only keep improving, does that mean that my site is hitting rock bottom?

I thought I made myself clear - I don't know any other meaning for the word "improve"! :)

No worries... I just realised, this morning, thanks to a conversation with rvalkass and baniboy that the login module will have to stay there, because I didn't realise that people have already registered onto my site, and that they have to register to comment under their own name... so I will have to make that stay on... :) Sorry, sky!!!Argh!!! I still can't get over the categories thing!!! I was sure it was tags, not categories!!! And I am also in a bit of a crisis now!!! I was writing on a post on how nothing is impossible, but now I realised that some things can be impossible, so therefore, my post is now nothing!!! Now I will have to find something else to write about and I have something on tonight and it has to be posted by today and there is no one at the shoutbox trying to figure out my problem!!!Now I will either have to write something from anew or change my current post so that it is now good (but sadly not as good as my previous two posts) and true... :o BOO HOOOO!!! Someone help me!!!