xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Soviet Rathe

Mysql Problem

Ok here's my problem, since my old forum had bugs from wrong turns (bad mods installed) I installed a fresh copy on my new server and set up the mySQL and everything with no problem. but I wanted to restore my old site somewhere because I needed some stuff from it (like codes) I have a backup of the site and the sql, I made a sub domain on my account and uploaded my old forum there and when i tried to restore the old sql it didn't go over too well so I did as suggested by another topic that stated I need to make a new database and use phpmyadmin to restore the settings. so I did and I went to phpmyadmin and imported the old database and I got this error:

this post messed up and wouldn't display the quote, I think it's because of the special characters so I put it in a text file
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
A short overview of the error is

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'What se \\ to bring selee fimthe fwnfoaowsOptions</um, simply cp/r' at line 1

Please help asap because I need some resources from my old site.

OR maybe someone knows how I can run the forum from my computer? because I can open the .gz files and extract them with WinRar
Edited by Soviet Rathe (see edit history)

OR maybe someone knows how I can run the forum from my computer? because I can open the .gz files and extract them with WinRar

As you're using IPB so i can't help you with it as i don't have it installed on local computer. One thing you can do is install the package on local computer using xampp or mamp or httpd server. Then you can check the steps for mysql, if it works locally then you can perform same steps on your hosting site. If still unable to get help, then you should try luck with IPB board forum or some webamster forum.

Do you still have the old Forum on a Server? If so, check the Character Encoding of the original Database.

Do you still have the old Forum on a Server? If so, check the Character Encoding of the original Database.

nop.
just have the .gz backups

As you're using IPB so i can't help you with it as i don't have it installed on local computer. One thing you can do is install the package on local computer using xampp or mamp or httpd server. Then you can check the steps for mysql, if it works locally then you can perform same steps on your hosting site. If still unable to get help, then you should try luck with IPB board forum or some webamster forum.

not quite sure I understand.... all I need is to make my backup of my old forum functional so I can copy some of the stuff off of it. I already have a fresh copy of IPB on my server.

This part of the error gives a clue:

ERROR: Unknown Punctuation String @ 6768਀匀吀刀㨀 尀尀�

It looks like you've missed out a bracket, comma, quote or whatever. As this was an automated backup then either the backup script got it wrong, or the random encoding is causing problems. Exactly why are there so many random symbols in there?

This error at the bottom suggests the same thing:

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'What se \\ to bring selee fimthe fwnfoaowsOptions</um, simply cp/r' at line 1

It looks like something has gone seriously wrong with the encoding of that file so it simply won't work unless the encoding of the file is fixed, or the database adjusted to accept that encoding.

i don't think i will be of any help. but one of the things came to mind is if the version of the database is different.

how do I fix it? :Sor is it possable to make the old board run off of a new databse? does IPB have software to install new databases with the needed strings?