xisto Community
contactskn

How To Stop Spamming

Hi friends I am really fed up of spam entries in my forum. I have installed PHPBB two times in my site but I don?t know how these spammers come to know about it and just enter thousands of vulgar and dirty posts within two or three days. Here I would like to know how these spammers come to know about our installation of forum software on our websites. Is there any way to stop them? Moreover I would like to know which is forum software which attracts the least spammers. Please answer in detail dear friends.

as i know there is a function in the admin section which is spam filter? or activate your visual confirmation which is captcha or others.. the best example is captcha and try to look for some mod in google there are so many from anti-register bot.. anti-post bot and more try it

You need to install anti-SPAM mod on phpbb forum. There are many good anti-spam forum mods for phpbb. Instead of asking this here if you ask this question in official phpbb forum then you'll likely to get the answer. Also opening too many topic here on Xisto also qualifies for SPAM :)Anyway,ask this question on official phpbb forum so that you can get better answer to your query.

All of the well known forum software packages will attract spammers, especially if your forum has a large number of members. CAPTCHAs are still fairly effective against most spammers, but only if you alter the settings from the defaults. I think phpBB now includes a CAPTCHA by default, so you should be able to turn that on and bring the spam levels down. Then take a look through the mod database. Just tick the anti-spam box and click search. You'll be shown the anti-spam mods you can install. Take a look at which ones you think will be effective and add them to your forum.

I'm surprised no one suggested this till now, but it's a good idea to ditch phpBB altogether and choose an alternative forum software like SMF (that's the first name that comes to mind....), MyBB, etc. They offer better protection against spam. They're not 100% spam-free, but you'll never see as much spam as you're seeing on phpBB.

It is better to start with a question like this What is spam? and then give some answers about how to stop spamming.

SPAM - is unsolicited information. That is something you do not want, but you get. For example: You use your mailbox for business correspondence, but apart from her every day are forced to read another kind of advertising.

Who and What is SPAM?

In the vast majority of SPAM is used for advertising. Usually advertised any product or service, sometimes to wrap counters on the site, at least for the despatch of viruses and / or Trojans. But there is a common goal - to bring their information to the maximum possible number of recipients at a minimal cost. And "the authors" do not care about the composition of the audience, most importantly - the number of

Paid calls. Promote products and indicate the phone number. By calling, you will hear only the voice mailbox, and then you will come through for the connection.

Advertising money pyramids. They promise great profit, but first you have to send some small amount at a specified address.

Gathering information. Under the guise of a survey or offer to fill the order form and send your data to the specified address.

Sending Trojans. Trojan gathers the necessary information from your computer (passwords, phone provider, etc.) and sends it back. Miscellaneous.

Spam on the Internet today is a reprehensible activity and in some laws include some form of responsibility for such activities. For example, in the United States one of the largest Internet service providers America Online (AOL), each month brings several lawsuits by spammers, who engaged in a systematic dispatch of advertising in the addresses of its customers.

What is so bad about spam?

Often, users simply do not pay attention to online advertising, deleting such messages from their mailboxes. In fact, the harmfulness of such mailings is that the spammer is virtually worthless, but expensive for everyone else as the recipient of spam and its provider. A large amount of advertising mail can lead to excessive load on the channels and the provider's mail server, which is why regular mail, which may very waiting recipients, will be considerably slower. The spammers virtually nothing to pay for something that sends mail. For all paying the recipient of spam, paying your ISP while the web it takes to receive unsolicited mail from the mail server.

At the spammer has a lot of methods to learn your email address so that you make on it lists. There are lots of programs that collect addresses of people who write letters to the teleconference and newsgroups. Such a program is able to collect thousands of addresses per hour and to turn them into a database for further distribution to the addresses of spam. Some of the spammers in their mailing lists offer a few dollars to buy a CD with such information. Another method consists in the fact that spammers are browsing various periodicals, from which extract the email addresses of companies, which submitted the ad.

So if you run while logged in some "Who's Who in the computer market ..." (all names are fictional, all matches are random), then you will often come to a price list a variety of firms. A common method of scanning newsgroup is extremely rare.

If you received a letter from commercial advertising, which did not request, try to determine who is the provider of the spammer and to send a complaint to the relevant technical addresses or ask for help from your ISP.

If complaints provider the spammer will not give the desired result, and it will continue to operate normally providers are ready to go, even not to accept mail from mail server provider, encouraging the actions of their careless users.

Hi friends I am really fed up of spam entries in my forum. I have installed PHPBB two times in my site but I don?t know how these spammers come to know about it and just enter thousands of vulgar and dirty posts within two or three days. Here I would like to know how these spammers come to know about our installation of forum software on our websites. Is there any way to stop them? Moreover I would like to know which is forum software which attracts the least spammers. Please answer in detail dear friends.

all I can say is this PHPBB equals Spam. the board I used to run was a PHPBB, I would have to delete a good 10 to 15 spammers a day. I finally got smart and said no more to it. then I found AEF. http://www.anelectron.com/ once I installed it. Bam no more spammers. I think maybe your getting all your spam because PHPBB is a very popular board and all people really have to do is run a search for that kind of board and wa la. spam o rama I could be wrong but that's how I feel. But yes there are settings you can change to stop it all but if a spammer really wants in, he or she can find a way. that is everywhere you go. even here on Xisto. Its a way of life. damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Hi!You'll want to look into whether the spam you get is automated or if someone is manually visiting your website to post the messages. Automated spam can be stopped by using captcha, although there are data entry staff who work with an automated system to enter the text from a captcha image into the automated spam bot. Spam that is manually inserted onto your page can be held for moderation and, hopefully, that would discourage the spammers from posting to your forum. There are different forms of captcha so if the visitors on your site find responding to an image captcha difficult, you could use a different form of captcha that asks simple questions, such as "If the north pole is in the north, where is the south pole?" or even a mathematical or color captcha. A variation of an image captcha is where the system displays an image of a fire hydrant and asks the user to correctly identify the object or could ask a question about the image Eg. "What color is the fire hydrant in this picture?" (the picture can be altered to change the color of the fire hydrant to green, or perhaps it can get a picture of a yellow fire hydrant that some parts of the world use).Getting more moderators for your forum would definitely help - they're like the SWAT team that track down and put an end to spam on the forum. Of course, having moderators does not do away with the need for preventing automated spam because you could have several dozen spam messages to deal with and moderators would find the job of burying a few dozen spam messages everyday very frustrating. The job may sound like fun, but dealing with spam gets monotonous and boring eventually when the excitement wears off. Yes, I've had to moderate the comments on my blog and wonder why the spammers even bother trying since I delete their messages while in the moderation queue anyway.Perhaps you could get commercial services for preventing spam - there are plugins that check spam messages against a database and automatically delete the message if it matches a spam 'signature', just like anti-virus and other anti-malware software match viruses against a definition signature. There would be false positives i.e. some genuine messages might get classified as spam too, but you might have the option of manually sifting through the spam to look for 'real' messages.