xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bigtimedrama

Friday The 13th Friday the 13TH- is it really an unlucky day?

Alarming new research confirms what millions have believed for years – Friday the 13th really is unlucky!A group of English scientists, reporting in the highly respected British Medical Journal, cited statistics and records stretching over a three-year period – 2005 through 2007 – that indisputably prove Friday the 13th is a dangerous date.
The researchers go as far as to say that you shouldn’t leave your house on that day. “Staying at home is recommended,” says a spokesman for the group.
They concluded that your life and health can be in twice as much danger on Friday the 13th as on other days.Perhaps the most frightening finding of the exhaustive study was that your chances of being admitted to the hospital due to an accident on the highway are two times greater on Friday the 13th.The professors studied traffic-flow figures on a busy London motorway. They compared accident figures for Fridays the 13th with those of other Fridays.They found that hospital admissions skyrocketed on the 13th.No one can explain the rise in bad luck but one theory has to do with the power of suggestion.The researchers believe that knowing it’s Friday the 13th may increase anxiety and interfere with people’s ability to concentrate on their driving, leaving them at greater risk of crashing. But another scientist, familiar with the experiment, calls that theory inconclusive.“Some of the people involved in accidents on Friday the 13th aren’t even aware of what day it is,” said the scientist. “It’s highly unlikely that the power of suggestion is working on them.“Why are my colleagues unwilling to admit that ‘folk wisdom’ may be accurate – that, for reasons we don’t understand, it may just be an unlucky day.

“When people have believed something for hundreds of years, there’s a strong possibility that it’s true.” :)

Notice from truefusion:

it SEEMS to be an unlucky day because people make themselves believe in those superstitions. the more people believe in something that is true, the more it IS true. the fact still remains that friday the 13th is just another day except that people have the fear of god in them that somethging bad is going to happen. for the majority, nothing bad happens. you might as well start talking about why there is more suspicious activity when there is a full moon. there is more credible evidence to support this without the idea of superstitions.

in fact in some cultures and belief, the #13 is lucky.

Alarming new research confirms what millions have believed for years Friday the 13th really is unlucky!A group of English scientists, reporting in the highly respected British Medical Journal, cited statistics and records stretching over a three-year period 2005 through 2007 that indisputably prove Friday the 13th is a dangerous date.
The researchers go as far as to say that you shouldnt leave your house on that day. Staying at home is recommended, says a spokesman for the group.
They concluded that your life and health can be in twice as much danger on Friday the 13th as on other days.Perhaps the most frightening finding of the exhaustive study was that your chances of being admitted to the hospital due to an accident on the highway are two times greater on Friday the 13th.The professors studied traffic-flow figures on a busy London motorway. They compared accident figures for Fridays the 13th with those of other Fridays.They found that hospital admissions skyrocketed on the 13th.No one can explain the rise in bad luck but one theory has to do with the power of suggestion.The researchers believe that knowing its Friday the 13th may increase anxiety and interfere with peoples ability to concentrate on their driving, leaving them at greater risk of crashing. But another scientist, familiar with the experiment, calls that theory inconclusive.Some of the people involved in accidents on Friday the 13th arent even aware of what day it is, said the scientist. Its highly unlikely that the power of suggestion is working on them.Why are my colleagues unwilling to admit that folk wisdom may be accurate that, for reasons we dont understand, it may just be an unlucky day.

When people have believed something for hundreds of years, theres a strong possibility that its true. :)

happy belated friday the 13th!it may be unlucky to some , average to some.one of my friends told me that friday the 13th if merely an infringement of the fear of the number "13" (also known as triskaidekaphobia)honestly i don't think the number 13 is significant .it was merely part of stories that Christians believed meant the end of people or end of good fortune.why is Friday associated with "13" and why is it important/scary that the 13th falls on a Friday?well i assume its because Friday is associated with "good" (goodfriday, no?) .on friday , everything is at peace.but when such a horrid number like 13 falls on a friday.they think "OMG OMG DIE DIE UNLUCKY UNLUCKY"i guess :]

There is no such thing and lucky or unlucky day when it comes to 13th number. I infact seen many business started on 13th day or have 13th number are doing good. It's just that people love to spread superstitious. And talking about the movie, i didn't like the movie to begin with. And as they're coming with remake of the movie then i don't want to watch it at first place. I don't know what happiness people get by making some number,person and place unlucky and calling and spreading the rumor about it. I don't like movies which spread rumors like this.

I agree, personally 13th or 7 is my lucky number, that is in what I believe, but don't know about Friday though, Friday is a day when you drink beer or go out somewhere :(People just usually notice something bad at that time and says 13th day is unlucky, they don't notice anything special if it lets say Thursday the 8th :)

To some 13 is an unlucky number while to others, it is their auspicious number. It will be interesting to know the background of fri the 13th and its origin. And btw, did anyone cross the path of a black cat?

I somewhat believe in that friday the 13th stuff. I had the worst luck on the 13th. We had a test in my class, and I'm pretty sure i didn't do too well on it. I hit my toe on the dishwasher (don't ask) and nearly broke off my toenail. I had horrible luck that day. However, it usually doesn't happen (bad luck on the 13th).

I don't believe Friday the 13th is unlucky, but that's because like 2/3 years my birthday falls on it (meaning every 2 out of 3). Nothing bad has happened yet (except for of course the dreaded aging process). If that counts as bad luck, it's definitely because of the day!

In feng shui (an ancient art and science developed over 3,000 years ago in China. It is a complex body of knowledge that reveals how to balance the energies of any given space to assure the health and good fortune for people inhabiting it. ) 13 is an acceptable number, it actually sounds like ?sure live? meaning- a long life. I don't know where the westerners got this strong and wierd aversion for the number 13. Some countries in Asia, also rarely use the number 13, in fact, the elevators in my country don't have 13th floor buttons, from 12 tthey go straight to 14, no 13th floor or anything.

Friday the 13th refers to the betrayal of the pope against the templar knights. Early in the morning on Friday the 13th, the templar knights were slain. Only a few, if any, got away, and it is said that the organization known as the Free Masons was born from the last few surviving Templar Knights

its all in the mind. i got up and went to school, totally oblivious to the date (because i don't really need to know). when i jumped on my PC went i got back home and realised, it was like "oh its the 13th"....long story short, nothing happened and it isn't real.