xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Large Hadron Cllider Damaged By .. Bread? The worlds largest particle smasher withstands more damage.

The notorious LHC, the world's largest atom smasher and one of science's greatest modern tools, has again been temporarily damaged. A piece of bread, presumed to have been dropped by a bird flying overhead, fell into some related machinery outdoors causing overheating. The LHC is well known, and it's safety has been questioned by many people who fear it could cause disasters of End-Of-The-Word proportions, such as a black hole. As far as I know, the incident wasn't too serious, and the world wasn't about to be sucked into nothing-ness, it was merely a bit of a funny inconvenience. One of man's greatest scientific achievements put out of order by a piece of bread! ..or was it an inconvenience? Could a higher being be preventing these scientists from achieving these major scientific breakthroughs? God? Aliens? People from another dimension? These are some of the theories that have been discussed..however strange they may be!

Could a higher being be preventing these scientists from achieving these major scientific breakthroughs? God? Aliens?

*Well if you like to call me a a higher power, feel free to do so* :D :D :)
Uh, why didn't they cover up their machine parts? Because this is kinda dumb... But it is high tech equipment and is not built to take damage. (like a fierce violent attack from the overflying evil bird, I bet it was Captain SM's evil parrot :D)

As for the black holes. Similar collisions happen in space all the time and no black holes yet. Well, at least if there are, I don't see any gigantic black holes in middle of sun's surface (check it yourself, just remember the sunglasses :( ). Its possibility is so low, it shouldn't even be considered as a possibility.
I wouldn't really be amazed if all the problems of the hadron collider is caused by some country hicks "protesting against the creation of black holes". :D

The whole black hole thing was actually just news channels trying to get viewers with stupid exaggeration of things. That's what they do, and that's why I hate them.

And having a black hole with a mass of two protons(probably less) in a vacuum... END OF THE WORLD!!!!! :( oh Give me a break... Black holes need a certain amount of mass around them. If there's not enough mass, there's nothing rotating. It's gravity couldn't even pull an atomic core apart.
Well, actually it could, but it can't because while it has enough gravity when you get close enough to it, then half of the subatomic particle is out of the range of the pull. I hate the commercial media, always talking BS about everything.

Erm... sorry for that rant. Anyway, it's truly very funny that a piece of bread caused the problem, I bet those scientists are very pissed off at birds right now :(
Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

They don't make em like they use to !. Imagine that, 10' s or 100' s of employees put on hold because a bomber bird had dropped its precious bread crumb. Thats very funny!Like bani boy mentioned, you'd think they would have constructed adequate protection around all of their machinery. I wonder how many total months of operation the Hadron Collider has managed since it began (and how much it has missed). I also wonder what kind of monetary cost such a small, but also large incident would incur.

They were going to try and restart it this year but now that's out of the question I guess- in my opinion as long as it's not harming anyone it can do whatever it wants :)

There was no damage to the world's most ambitious project. A short circuit occurred by a piece of baguette bread dropped by a bird on 3rd November 2009. This occurred in LHC's outdoor electrical installations and they call the event as a simple "power cut". The effect was decreased performance of cryogenic systems in LHC sectors 7-8 and 8-1. The standard fail-safe backup systems came in to action and everything is back online now.

LHC's official statement about the incident can be read at http://directory.web.cern.ch/directory/

Our understanding of the Universe is about to change...