xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Don't Watch 2012! At least not until the end of the world :D

Okay let me tell you right here this is not a full-length review - I can't bring myself to recollect the crazy story, plot and characters of the eagerly-awaited movie 2012. All I can do it to advice you not to watch it in a hurry. This movie is definitely not worth watching in the theatre - I think it would have been more bearable on a computer/DVD player, coz I could at least forward the scenes a bit!!!

The only positive part of the movie, as anyone could guess, is the huge amount of special effects it has utilized. But they aren't too realistic and you can easily tell that what you're being shown is pure animation. And I think audiences around the world are used to watching similar scenes in other movies so they won't be too impressed.

I don't think I need to emphasize on the story - it's almost like all other disaster movies - there are random characters and they somehow end up forming a group and fight for survival. I won't go into the "finer details" of the story (if there are any). For that you might want to wait for a more professional review (:)) - anyway, from what I've been reading on the net, the general review is that this movie's gonna be a dud. The only consolation for me was that since I couldn't get tickets for the English version I went for the dubbed Telugu version and some of the localized dialogues were funny - but that doesn't mean this 160 minute movie is even remotely bearable :( I would like to sum it up in the style of comic book guy (from The Simpsons):

Worst-disaster-movie-EVER!

What's wrong with this movie? I watched the trailer and it seems awesome...I think to myself - What a wonderful movie, got to watch it. :( This is most probably only my opinion (others have theirs) but good, fun looking movies like this give the earge of a "MUST" to watch. It's really looking good, I can't wait to download it. :)

From trailer i can see the scenes and special effects are good. Also there is john cusack in the movie. So with acting movie is going to be a great experience. I like his acting ever since 1408 movies hits the theater. And that is the reason i'm going to watch the movie. I don't know why you don't like disaster movies bu i found disaster movies good,provided that there is some good story plot behind. Again it's personal choice though.

What's wrong with this movie? I watched the trailer and it seems awesome...I think to myself - What a wonderful movie, got to watch it. tongue.gif This is most probably only my opinion (others have theirs) but good, fun looking movies like this give the earge of a "MUST" to watch. It's really looking good, I can't wait to download it. wink.gif

The movie is releasing tomorrow (13/11) in Italy, right? Well trailers are meant to make the movie feel good, aren't they?! I mean...look at Roland Emmerich's previous movie - 10,000 B.C. From the trailer I imagined a lot of fights with the mammoths and tigers but what did we get???? Here too the best scenes were put in the trailer but the rest of the film does disappoint :( So anyway, all the best with your downloading :)

From trailer i can see the scenes and special effects are good. Also there is john cusack in the movie. So with acting movie is going to be a great experience. I like his acting ever since 1408 movies hits the theater. And that is the reason i'm going to watch the movie. I don't know why you don't like disaster movies bu i found disaster movies good,provided that there is some good story plot behind. Again it's personal choice though.

I never said I didn't like disaster movies - this particular one was not that good and reminded me of the previous movies (the "forming a group and surviving" part). The Day After Tomorrow was really very good but it's hard to believe that the same director made this movie. But as you said, it's personal choice but as I said before the general opinion is that this one is a flop.

i hate when people say "don't watch this movie" in their reveiws. you said it TWICE and repeated yourself.i personally LOVE movies. i love every aspect of movies. i have read poor reveiws before, watched the movie myself and loved it. i have watched movies with GREAT reviews and hated them.but when i say hate, i mean it's a movie i wouldn't watch again. because typically, i don't think i ever stopped watching a movie i started.i think comments like "don't watch it" should be left out of reviews and up to the viewer for his/her own reveiw.when i graduated from high school with one of my best friends, he went on to major in radio/tv/film. there was an exceptional program at usc. he was a natural film critic to say the least and he told me not to watch a movie once. told me to trust him. i would hate it. i believed him. 5 years later, i rented it because i had my doubts and i liked it. it wasn't the best movie, but i liked it. was entertaining and didn't put me to sleep.so everyone will have their own seperate review and what they liked and didn't like about any specific movie. just don't be telling people not to watch movies just because you didn't like it. that is one poor review if that's all you got and have to repeat yourself like you absolutely know for sure people wont like this movie(why else would you repeat yourself and be firm).rotten tomatoes ranks this movie at 36% while netflix ranks it at 4 out of 5 stars for me. so who the heck knows.

Sorry if you didn't like my post anwii, but I mentioned in the very first line that this isn't a full review at all - this thread would have made more sense in the "VENT" section rather than here so that some of you could stop assuming this as a review of the movie. Apart from many websites, I've seen a lot of people in chatrooms, forums and websites discussing the same thing - this one certainly didn't live up to its expectations.

just don't be telling people not to watch movies just because you didn't like it. that is one poor review if that's all you got and have to repeat yourself like you absolutely know for sure people wont like this movie(why else would you repeat yourself and be firm).

Apart from the title of the thread, I haven't specifically said anywhere in my first post (it's not edited so you can check :() that people shouldn't watch it. I just said it's not worth watching and I have the backing of hundreds of people (from those sites and forums I mentioned) who have the same thing to say. Just because there's a thread saying "Don't Watch 2012!" in a forum on the internet, the movie's not gonna lose any revenue, nor are people going to stay away! :) The hype building up till the release of the movie was too high so I'm sure a lot of people will watch it at least once no matter what they read on the internet....

i have watched movies with GREAT reviews and hated them.

I hate it when that happens too, but I think you just stumbled onto the wrong reviews at those times

I haven't seen it yet but I already have tickets, starting to already get disappointed; haven't heard anything good about the movie yet.

Well in this thread all the reviews are "good", supporting the movie :) Since you already have the tickets, go for it, sit through the 140 minutes and tell us how you felt :o

i just got it. i think i'm going to watch it tonight after i fry up some chicken. i do like these types of movies so it will be interesting how i will relate to it after hearing both review threads of the same movie....i'll come back later to post an opinion. if i don't like it, i will post here. if i DO like it i'll post in the other one :)

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

i just got it. i think i'm going to watch it tonight after i fry up some chicken. i do like these types of movies so it will be interesting how i will relate to it after hearing both review threads of the same movie....i'll come back later to post an opinion. if i don't like it, i will post here. if i DO like it i'll post in the other one biggrin.gif

And what if you have a mixed review? :o There are a lot of people who can't make up their minds whether this is good or bad - "Love the graphics, hate the story" that's their opinion; well I'll be waiting for your reply eagerly :)

I saw it a week ago and I must confess by admiration for this film, since it is a rare example of film making that literally seems to have enough of everything that redefines your faith in the limitless potential of human creativity. People will complain of an over reliance on CGI, but they will likely be the same niche busybodies who have some personal vendetta against Hollywood blockbusters, and 2012 seriously does deliver on a monumental level, especially with the visuals and sheer artistry of the destruction, it's too beautiful to shun.The acting is nothing to be ashamed of either, although it doesn't invest vast amounts of time in detailing the individual characters as in other films (the 45 minute intro to Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning?s relationship in Man on Fire for example). But the character development is consistent throughout the film keeping on an even keel with the impact of the natural disasters. Danny Glover plays the role as President with a great deal of nobility, as do many of the other actors deliver to their roles a sense of integrity, which is a great benefit to the drama aspects of the film since its simple but effective, much of the emotion comes across as very heart felt opposed to cringe worthy or pretentious.Humour also plays a nice part with the occasional funny one liner or laugh out loud moment, but in my opinion that's quite necessary in the face of such dark days, since 2012 packs an almighty punch to your emotions. Even the sternest of critics cannot deny the power of the imagery; it might not be as instant as the entire world flaring up in tidal waves of flames like at the end of Knowing, but seeing your world and every trace of familiarity falling apart in the blink of an eye across a two and a hour period really tugs at those heart strings. You actually feel confined to that same fate, considering how it would feel if such a doom were ever to unfurl, and that feeling of utter hopelessness and insignificance is some potent stuff, but that seriously adds to the experience bearing in mind how rare it is to be truly moved by modern cinema.But man the action scenes are just phenomenal, so immense in every sense of the word, it's obvious why 2012 is one of the most expensive films ever made. What's genuinely impressive is how consistent it is, the action, character development and information are blended together so perfectly, it flows very smoothly and leaves nothing lacking, to say its just over two and a half hours the time honestly flies by so quickly, leaving you on the edge of your seat throughout.As to why Christian icons seemed to be targeted... along with the quote BCVM22 provided, I'd say it's to increase feelings of insignificance and to be symbolic of what many would feel at that instant; a moment of utter disbelief when all hope is gone and not even idols of fact or fiction can save us now from this impending doom. That's what I reckon it implies, as though humanity has been cut loose from its leash and left to its own devices, only to discover no one's holding the strings.Seriously, every once in a while a film is released that changes your perfection of film making itself, and this really is something you need to enjoy on the glory of the big screen.