xisto Community
Nameless_

Quick Question About Emails More specifically, aboit Google Apps... again... sorry

Heya people...

I have a very quick question about Google Apps Google Mail to ask you... don't worry, it is pretty quick, and I believe that I have posted in the write section because one day when I was looking at one of my other email queries and question threads I realised that it had been moved to the "E-mails" sub forum section, even though it was plainly a query, so I decided to play safe this time and post it in the "E-mail" section...

Anyway no more random unrelated talk, the question is this:

I am sick of waiting for a new hosting account application chance... I was thinking of doing my site online on my other hosting account first and THEN moving to my new account, but I haven't created my Google Apps Google Email account yet, because I have a few questions to ask...

What will happen to my email address if I changed my domain from one hosting account to another (even though it is the same host)? Do I have to create new verification files or whatever and stuff like that if I do change hosting accounts? I am sure that I am not the only person to have this problem before (even though it is potential and I don't even know if I am going to have a problem like this in the first place ANYWAY, but I always like to be carefully prepared beforehand... :)) I am sure that many people before me must have already had a hosting account somewhere else (with their email already set up and ready to use) and then changed hosts accordingly and quite successsfully as well. I am debating whether I should create an email account at Google Apps first and then change hosting accounts and if that is possible. Because I would like to get all the technical things over and done with first so that I can fully work on my site after everything is done (in which is is currently not). But at least my sites online now... well, partially.

Anyway, thanks for your help in this matter... I look forward to your replies... :D A little too eagerly, I must say. :(

Google Apps is tied to the domain, rather than to the hosting. Uploading the verification file is to prove you have control over the domain. If you switch hosting accounts, just make sure that you add your domain using your control panel again, and change the MX records to match those required by Google again. There is no harm in uploading the verification file again. Google might check it after it notices the downtime while you switch hosting accounts, so be safe and upload it again.

rvalkass is right the google apps is always tied up with the domain name not the hosting so if you will change host with the same domain name your google apps should not change. but if you will change the domain your google apps will change. you don't lose anything if you will just change host :) i don't think you should upload the verification again (because i didn't) but if they require you to do such things well do that good luck my friend

I have quick question on this topic, i hope others can answer it. Recently i registered for google apps and also for google mail. And after uploading file on server my google mail for domain was started. The problem i found is that domain is like this : mail.google.com/a/domain.com and for my earlier domains for which i did setup from Xisto - Support area have it like this: mail.domain.com.

Now how can i make mail.domain.com for this one ? Do i need to register subdomain for this to get it redirected to that big URL ? Or is there any way i can make subdomain path ?

Thanks guys, I have tried to activate my email on Google Apps... but I have (again) met up with the problem monster and another problem occurred (again. :))

Here is another quick question for you people (sorry!!!):

Google requires you to change your MX entries so that Google can become the main server for your mail hosting. I have read all of the instructions, and did as they said. Unfortunately, it seems like my cPanel doesn't let me add MX entries with the same priority number, and hence after I inserted all of my MX entries, I ended up with three, all of which is the last MX entry that I have inserted with the same priority.

That is, this is what Google wanted me to put into my cPanel:

MX Server Priority

ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 10

ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 20

ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 20

ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30

ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30

ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30

ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30

This is what I ended up with instead:

MX Server Priority

ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM 10

ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM 20

ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM 30

Also, it is noted that MX entries are meant to have a dot at the end of the domain name. But my cPanel doesn't seem to allow that, so I could only take away the dot at the end, as shown above in the quote. Is that OK? But anyway, how can I put extra MX entries for my google apps mail with the same priority. Thanks... this is pretty long... :(

I have quick question on this topic, i hope others can answer it. Recently i registered for google apps and also for google mail. And after uploading file on server my google mail for domain was started. The problem i found is that domain is like this : mail.google.com/a/domain.com and for my earlier domains for which i did setup from Xisto - Support area have it like this: mail.domain.com.

Now how can i make mail.domain.com for this one ? Do i need to register subdomain for this to get it redirected to that big URL ? Or is there any way i can make subdomain path ?

I believe that you are meant to make a CNAME for this one. I am not really sure what a CNAME is though, but from all the information that I have researched online, I believe it is similar to a subdomain, except when it redirects it to your google apps page, it keeps your URL, and hence you will be able to access Google Apps from your domain (mail.yourdomain.com).

About HOW to make a CNAME for that though... I think that you will have to contact Xisto (if that is your domain registrar) to get it done. Or somewhere in one of the tutorials that I have read you are allowed to create one for yourself, so I'm not sure about that one as well... I'll need to learn how to create a CNAME after I get the MX entries done.

mahesh2k- sign in to your administrator account at google-apps.

under service settings, click on EMAIL. you will see web address at the top section with an opportunity to click on CHANGE URL. do that. you have the settings set to default so just click the other option and type in "MAIL". click continue and your settings should be saved. nameless, i don't believe i ever changed a thing in any area of my cpanel. i also believe the cname was created for me. all i had to do was set up the records in my gmail account. it was a snap. now i just access my mail through mail.mydomain.com i would highly suggest you let someone do this for you if you are having problems because you might just really mess things up here if you don't know what you're doing where you will eventually have to request the support from xisto to restore what you did. here is a snippet of what i got when i signed up for hosting with my domain name.... To learn how to setup and deploy Google Apps, visit our getting started resource center for tips and instructions: google.com/a/help/intl/en/admins/resources/setup/

Step 1: Sign in to the administrative control panel. Here you can manage your user accounts and customize Google Apps. To access the control panel

Step 2: Verify domain ownership. Before we can fully activate your services, you will need to verify ownership of yourdomain.com. From the control panel, you can verify by either uploading an HTML file or creating a special CNAME record. Verifying ownership does not cause any change to your existing services. at first, you were asking about the uploaded file. now you are talking about changing your cname records when google is only requesting either OR. NOT BOTH. obviously the first step is to create your administrator account. have you even done this yet? then you need to sign in to your account and verify domain ownership either by uploading a file or changing your cname records to whatever the instructions tell you. have you even done this yet? uploading a file is easy. to change your cname records, you need to log in to your domain control panel at Xisto - Domains.com

I believe that you are meant to make a CNAME for this one. I am not really sure what a CNAME is though, but from all the information that I have researched online, I believe it is similar to a subdomain, except when it redirects it to your google apps page, it keeps your URL, and hence you will be able to access Google Apps from your domain (mail.yourdomain.com). About HOW to make a CNAME for that though... I think that you will have to contact Xisto (if that is your domain registrar) to get it done. Or somewhere in one of the tutorials that I have read you are allowed to create one for yourself, so I'm not sure about that one as well... I'll need to learn how to create a CNAME after I get the MX entries done.

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

Thanks anwii, here is what i did to activate the subdomain for google apps.1) Logged into google apps and changed the URL.2) it gave me results for CNAME change.3) I logged into Xisto - Domains.com and activated Free DNS service.4) From there i created CNAME record for mail and entered respective values which google gave me.5) I got confirmation that URL is changed. But when i opened it in browser. No changes, i can't use the subdomain name.Is there anything wrong ? I did everything that google asked me to do. What is wrong with it now ?

yea, those would be the steps alright. i am not understanding what you mean by subdomain though. i thought we were talking about domain email hosting. i didn't really catch that you were referring to a sub domain until now. a sub domain for what domain? is the email service working but you just can't access it by mail.yourdomain.com? this subdomain issuew threw me for a loop here. it's late. let me sleep on it :) but try to answer the questions....

Thanks anwii, here is what i did to activate the subdomain for google apps.
1) Logged into google apps and changed the URL.
2) it gave me results for CNAME change.
3) I logged into Xisto - Domains.com and activated Free DNS service.
4) From there i created CNAME record for mail and entered respective values which google gave me.
5) I got confirmation that URL is changed. But when i opened it in browser. No changes, i can't use the subdomain name.

Is there anything wrong ? I did everything that google asked me to do. What is wrong with it now ?

Yes, I have done everything... I have registered for an administrator account, set up the verification file successfully, so google now knows that the domain is mind. The only problem was with my MX entries, where the MX entries of the same priorities were deleted because my host didn't support multiple entries with the same priority, but I have followed siteground.com's advice and changed my priorities from 1 to 7. Hopefully it will work now, I'm just waiting for google to update and say that I can proceed... :)But anyway, thanks for the advice. After this, I will be able to use my mail!!! But I'll have to do the CNAME as well though. :(

is the email service working but you just can't access it by mail.yourdomain.com? this subdomain issuew threw me for a loop here.

Yes anwii. Exactly this is the problem i have with google apps mail hositng. I can access mail from that big url but not from "mail.domain.com". Anyway, take a look at it later.

you have to get a new google apps ready for you if you move to a domain and if you change the email id then just make changes in the settings and become happy and also you can try to change the email manager any ways if unable to do this then ask the google help team they are very much friendly with every one

you're not following, it's a matter of a cname record to allow "mail.yoursubdomain.yourdomain.com" the only thing i can think of right now is that it takes up to 48 hours for dns entries to propogate. i am going to create a sub domain from my original domain and create a seperate google account for it and see what i can do with it. this question is bothering me because i have googled this question and there are very little answers to it.

you have to get a new google apps ready for you if you move to a domain and if you change the email id then just make changes in the settings and become happy and also you can try to change the email manager any ways if unable to do this then ask the google help team they are very much friendly with every one

anwii, it's working now. i think DNS propagation takes some time. And now it is working for me. How many hours did it take since i posted this ? i didn't counted as timezone on forum and to me here is different. I guess 8-12 hours perhaps. So yes, URL change with CNAME takes some times. We just need to be patient. Thanks for help.Now let the topic be back to nameless_ query. Sorry for hijacking thread nameless_ but i guess this problem have helped you learn to some extent i guess.

Now let the topic be back to nameless_ query. Sorry for hijacking thread nameless_ but i guess this problem have helped you learn to some extent i guess.

Hijiacking my thread? Haha, no worries, I don't mind. I'll have the same problem as you anyway once my MX entries are updated... I don't even know if they are recorded right, because I couldn't use Google's instructions, so I had to do things alternatively instead. I just hope that it will update CORRECTLY this time, and quickly too, because I need my email urgently. It's like a matter of life and death for me, because if I can't use it, then I might not be able to get the job that I want for the rest of my life... :) And then I will be a very sad, sad person because I only have that dream in my life. :(

So please... if google loves to help me, PLEASE update quickly and say that I did it correctly. I need the email now... :(:D :D The CNAMe can come later, as long as I am allowed to send emails out and receive them I will be so happy. :D

i just created a sub domain off my .com domain to go through the exact steps again in creating an email account for it in google. it's all set up and working. to verify, i didn't change my cname, but just uploaded the file they told me to and created 2 mx records in cpanel. after i did all that, my mail was working instantly.

i followed the exact steps to create it nameless. i don't think you are following the exact steps given to you. it is not a problem on google's side so i wouldn't start wondering if google loves you or not.

Hijiacking my thread? Haha, no worries, I don't mind. I'll have the same problem as you anyway once my MX entries are updated... I don't even know if they are recorded right, because I couldn't use Google's instructions, so I had to do things alternatively instead. I just hope that it will update CORRECTLY this time, and quickly too, because I need my email urgently. It's like a matter of life and death for me, because if I can't use it, then I might not be able to get the job that I want for the rest of my life... :) And then I will be a very sad, sad person because I only have that dream in my life. :(
So please... if google loves to help me, PLEASE update quickly and say that I did it correctly. I need the email now... :(:D :D The CNAMe can come later, as long as I am allowed to send emails out and receive them I will be so happy. :D