xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kawai

What Is Rss? RSS

RSS actually is Really Simple Syndication.It is button or image,and when you click it,you go to the RSS channel.On more simply way,it is thing which will inform you for everything new on some page.RSS channels are updated when the website is updated,so you can find out news without typing the address of websise (ex.https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl) If you do not know how this works,open Firefox or other browser which supports RSS and click on the icon with rss in it.Then try to follow instructions,and click on the button for adding the channel.In Firefox you can add RSS on two places.I usually add them on the toolbox. When you will find where you added your RSS,click it and few new things will come.With every starting your browser RSS channel is updated.I am not sure you will understand how this is gonna be,so i think,what i explained is the most simple way/level.If you have crazy idea that maybe RSS are updating without Internet connection,you are wrong - because RSS is using Internet connection to get all contents which the website is providing for the channel.If you open RSS with web browser which doesn't support RSS you will see some crazy stuff like <item> blablblalba</item> and they are used to write all the items...

On a more simple note.
RSS channels are for announcements/news/new content and they are usually text based
if you have something like Google desktop (which I use) then there should be an add on for RSS feeds. you can just click on that and paste the URL of the RSS feed. for example the Xisto RSS URL is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
after you have added it to the program you want to use, while you are connected to the internet it will show text with announcements/news/new content and if you want to read more of that you simply click on it. and it will take you to the page where the content is :)

Google Reader (https://www.google.com/reader/about/) would be the best option for you to try out reading RSS feeds, as the reader is web-based and does not require any installation as it runs straight from the browser. If you prefer a desktop reader, I suggest you try out Brief (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/brief/), an extension for Mozilla Firefox that can read RSS feeds too.Based on previous experiences, I am currently using Google Reader to read technology news feeds instead of Brief as Google Reader updates the feeds every hour if they are popular. Often, I find that with popular RSS feeds where there is more than 40+ items in the feed, that Brief is unable to collect more than the latest 40 items, especially if you do not update regular e,g, you will find missing items if you update, lets say every 24 hours.

ohhh so thats what it is? anyway offtopic XD how about atom? what is it? I always see this two in every website/blogsI visited and what is the difference between the two?

I have never heard or seen atom on any web pages.
Where did you see it? The only thing I can find out about googling atom is the term from biology, and I am sure that is not what you mean. :)

i want to add any RSS to my site as an aditional service but i don't know how, i see a good defenition to rss in this topic replies , so please if there is one can help me to do that to post his replythanks in advance