xisto Community
TheDisturbedOne

Which Is Better? PhpBB3 or SMF

SMFCool and elegant templates (even the default one was already good), Easy to use, great package manager (like so... I don't have to upload the featured package of the month after all)Phpbb? I don't know, i've never look at it since my subscribed forum changed to ipb

SMF anytime. Learning curve is easy. MODS are enough to protect from spammers and have some extra functionality. And for newbies it is easy to use the interface and there are some good themes available as well. New curve theme is easy to modify and make new images. PhpBB is very hard to use. Especially newbies will find hard to create new boards. MODS are more in number than smf & mybb. Security fixes are too many and makes a bigger issue.

Many people, including me, have asked this question and the answer is always the same - SMF! The biggest advantage SMF has over the other free forum packages is that it lives up to its name and is really simple to use. I tried phpbb only once and didn't even get to install it completely - so a software which is confusing to even install will definitely be more confusing to use! That's why SMF gets the vote all the time :)

Haha, I would say Simple Machines Forum as well, but not because it is faster, better, or has no security exploits or whatever, but only because the SMILEYS on SMF are better than any other forum that I have seen so far!!! :) I really meant it, not only just phpBB, but any other forum software as well... :D The smileys just seems very important to me, I don't know why, but choose SMF because of the smileys!!! :(:D :D

Lol, @nameless_ smiley can't be the reason to benchmark any forum. Smiley pack on smf can be used on other forums as well. So i think that is not the way to compare the forums. New SMF have better smiley and icon pack. You can check out that as well. Not all people like the new smiley pack though. I like the icon pack used in new SMF. And i have to agree with the_simpleton, it is hard to install. Though most of the hosts have the installer in them for installation of PhpBB. There are some host which still requires manual installation of the phpbb and smf. In both ways of installation, SMF is fast and easy to use.

I have seen and used phpBB3 myself and feel that it is the best. SMF is good for novice and for the ones who are happy with the bare minimum, but for the pro its always compared ahead for phpBB3.Since both are free they have their limitations ofcourse. But with the paid ones you get more than what you expect and is a hell of a difference.

For Pro ? I want to know what pro features are in phpbb which are not in SMF. I mean what qualifies for pro features ? And i didn't find any professional recommending or using phpbb3 for their own use. Most of novice & theme designers are into phpbb. I'm interested in finding pro features in phpbb now.

Many people, including me, have asked this question and the answer is always the same - SMF! The biggest advantage SMF has over the other free forum packages is that it lives up to its name and is really simple to use. I tried phpbb only once and didn't even get to install it completely - so a software which is confusing to even install will definitely be more confusing to use! That's why SMF gets the vote all the time :)

MediaWiki is even harder than phpBB to install. It took me about 30 minutes to get everything right.

Haha, I would say Simple Machines Forum as well, but not because it is faster, better, or has no security exploits or whatever, but only because the SMILEYS on SMF are better than any other forum that I have seen so far!!! :( I really meant it, not only just phpBB, but any other forum software as well... :( The smileys just seems very important to me, I don't know why, but choose SMF because of the smileys!!! :D :D :D

Have you seen the new smileys in RC2? They are a lot better than the old ones.

QUOTE (Nameless_ @ Nov 11 2009, 11:06 AM) *Haha, I would say Simple Machines Forum as well, but not because it is faster, better, or has no security exploits or whatever, but only because the SMILEYS on SMF are better than any other forum that I have seen so far!!! smile.gif I really meant it, not only just phpBB, but any other forum software as well... smile.gif The smileys just seems very important to me, I don't know why, but choose SMF because of the smileys!!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

I've seen you mention this in many other places and while it's true that SMF has good smiley sets, it shouldn't be the only factor while judging the software. Smileys can be added from an external source to any software including IPB so t's not that big a factor in my opinion. And I agree with TheDisturbedOne - the ones in RC2 are really much better!