xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mahesh2k

Smf 2.0 Rc 2 Public

After wait of more than 2 months RC2 is publicly released. I just received the email; from simplemachines forum. So i decided to share this with other SMF users in Xisto.I think most of the subscribers have got the email. I'm not charter member or any other contributing member in SMF forum so i got the public notification about this theme. But i heard that 2.0 charter release was made in last month. Maybe in September perhaps. Now that it is released i can make up a design mockup for new theme. I'm gonna buy new theme as soon as SMF 2.0 final hits the internet. So asking other SMF users, what are your plans ? Going to modify your forums ?

Modification is not necessary atleast 3-4 months. Then i guess you need to take benefit of new theme and forum features. 1.1.10 will be there supported for 2-3 months. But then after that i guess you've to upgrade and modify forum anyway. Still there is old theme supported by new SMF. I'm in search of custom theme makers now. Any suggestions ?

I got the email too but I've temporarily taken down my forums. Not very sure I'll use SMF when it goes up again though. For those who haven't received the email or aren't subscribers, here's the list of new features in this version:

Major changes since the last public release:Inclusion of the Curve theme.
Three brand-new smiley sets.
960 new entries in the changelog, which consist of:Fixes for a significant number of bugs reported by Beta Testers, Charter members, and community members.
Hundreds of queries optimized for faster performance (new indexes, re-written queries, changes to column type, etc)
Canonical link support for better search engine indexing
New feature: ability to have different readmes in packages for different languages
New feature: ability to delete languages (oops! we forgot that earlier)
Linktrees have been added to the lower-areas of the forum and to the admin, moderation and profile sections.
Lighttpd support for Queryless urls
Improved support for right to left languages
OpenID is fixed
Extra fields for Advanced Profile fields (surround/enclose within other text, and choose placement as icon or signature).
Several theme improvements for better semantics and standards support.
Moved more JS out of templates
Wireless links to switch back to normal mode.

So how is that new curve theme anyway???

New Curve is very cool and with few modifications in it you'll have much better theme. Themes are also easily customizable(Provided that you've some times and idea in mind). Also openID support is now fixed so i can expect some more members login in with that on my forum. Let's see i have long design plan in mind, maybe i'll start from scratch or will design from curve theme.

I just want to pop-up this thread as i have a query. I want to know how to upgrde smf . i mean there is no web install for SMF 2.0 current public beta. If there is let me know. i want to know how to update it as admin panel is not showing link for SMF upgrade. So what are the available options for me to upgrade SMF to current public release ?