xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Where Would Google Be Without Ads?

Almost all the famous web portals/companies/.... followed the same route to success - first they offered a great service for free, and without ads. Then when they felt that they had built a sizable base of followers, they introduced ads and raked in loads of money along with fame! Let's not talk about all the other companies and just focus on Google. It's a big player today and earns millions of dollars everyday through advertising. It has a lot of other services too, most of which are popular. I was just wondering - where would Google be if it didn't serve ads? Would its income come down drastically? It does have other channels of income like Google Apps and many more, but the biggest channel of income is of course advertising. So can you imagine a Google without any ads? (that includes adwords/adsense) Try to guess in what position the company would be today!

Ads are important to survive on web. Almost all of the services which gives free services survive either by CPM ads or CPC ads from google. Without ads hardly people will manage hosting and domain costs. People have habit of complaining about ads, even if they get free services. I can understand the issue with flash ads and pop-up ads but leaving such ads aside rest of the ads are necessary for site to survive from commission. Even site like google survive on such ads.Now coming to google. Almost 90% or more revenue of google is based on ads and ad based services. If this is removed then google will be out of market in no time. Only income sources that will remain for them is google apps, app engine and some other commercial programs but those will not help google to survive.

obviously google is making money off their ads. this question is like asking where would any company be if they weren't making money.

but a better question to this thread would be "where would the users of Xisto go if there were no google ads....specifically adsense?" because our hosting is FUNDED by google adsense. in other words, no google ads, no free hosting.

Almost all the famous web portals/companies/.... followed the same route to success - first they offered a great service for free, and without ads. Then when they felt that they had built a sizable base of followers, they introduced ads and raked in loads of money along with fame! Let's not talk about all the other companies and just focus on Google. It's a big player today and earns millions of dollars everyday through advertising. It has a lot of other services too, most of which are popular. I was just wondering - where would Google be if it didn't serve ads? Would its income come down drastically? It does have other channels of income like Google Apps and many more, but the biggest channel of income is of course advertising. So can you imagine a Google without any ads? (that includes adwords/adsense) Try to guess in what position the company would be today!

This reminds me of when youtube did not have any ads =/ good times, now its so frustrating, watching a video and that BOOM , ads blocking the view, but i guess if its what it takes to make it free to watch its alright (though they probably makes more money then it costs to keep it running xD)

obviously google is making money off their ads. this question is like asking where would any company be if they weren't making money.
but a better question to this thread would be "where would the users of Xisto go if there were no google ads....specifically adsense?" because our hosting is FUNDED by google adsense. in other words, no google ads, no free hosting.

well since google has sources of income other than ads, I was trying to guess what it's financial position would be. And anyway the point is true that Google is indirectly funding all our websites over here :) But I'm not trying to think about the effects on websites using adsense, but the effect on Google itself.... (adsense users always have other options, isn't it?)

Without ads, google will sell off blogspot, youtube, their online presence and return to their roots, which is to provide search function for company's intranet. They will still be around... waiting for the next big thing to arrive and they will be out of the starting block in the shortest of time.

Without ads it's hard to survive. Graphics and media is surviving just because of ads. Many people have their jobs in ad/marketing and sales world. Without promotion it's hard to get your name or product across world. So ad is the only thing that can go viral. So ads are necessary. If google drops ad then they'll be into product and support function. Just like some other big-guys in software and services. But it'll be harder to make money that way. So i think ads are necessary be it for google or for bing or for yahoo.