xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
carrot

Voip the way to go

I was just wondering. what are everyones view on VOIP? i am going to get it in a few weeks because it comes so higley recomended from my neighbors. so, what do u think of it? is it good, does it suck? i am gonna get it from voange.P.S. for those of u who dont know VOIP is voice over IP. wait. if u dont know what it is, why are u even here? :D

I, actully, was here to fand out what VOIP is. I demand an explantion or you shall burn in the firey pits of hell!

VoIP.. guess still in development and i believe it will become popular.the problem is, how fast (in minimum) transfer rate to get clear voice? coz internet speed in my country still very slow. so nowadays, better i must say: forget it!

Aslong as you have over i would say 128kbs of upload speed you should be fine, vonage is a good comapny, but if you have trouble with it its not uncomman because VoIP has only been around for a year now. well longer then that but now all the backbone systems of the internet have the compatability for VoIP, i know all the cisco routers updated to the latest IOS do. <--Computer nerd<-- :D

Hi,I was workin within VoIp switch development so i think i can help a little bit in this topic. First of all advantages of VoIP vs standard telephony:- Voip is really cheaper than standard telephony (indeed pc-pc is free).- VoIp will be provided together with fancy extras. Such as Video and so on.- Voice can be compressend into data with most accuracy than standard telephony. I am sure VoIp quality will be better in a few time (if not already) than standard telephony.Disadvantages:- Operators and mobile developers are still on the path to support VoIP in huge dimension. However PTT (push to talk is already workin in the states) is already a kind of VoIP service since it uses SIP too to intiates the session.If you want to give it a try. I will give you some steps to follow:- go to http://www.counterpath.com/ and download the X-Lite a nice Vo-ip phone. - register to sipphone.com to get a sip uri. That will be the equivalet to your telephone number. - Configure X-lite that can be quite tedious but there are some tutorials on the net. I will create myself a tutorial and post it here one of these days.If you want to go to the easiest way. Try skype.com. They do not use SIP (Session intiation protocol). Instead they use a propietary protocol which does not allow you to speak with no-skype users but between Skype ones it works really well. And there is also babble.net which i will try in the next weeks. They say is cheper than Skype