xisto Community
Dak1ng

Are There Any Web Browsers That Rival Firefox?

I use firefox because it's one of the best web browsers available. I dropped IE7 and went to Firefox about 3 years ago. I know that people use other browsers such as Opera (why?). does anyone know of any web browsers that give firefox a run for it's money? I'd like to see one try. :)

You can say opera and chrome are rival browsers. Many features from firefox are now going to be available on opera and chrome. Firebug was only available for firefox but now it will be there with some another name on opera. And same with chrome, they'll add many features like opera & firefox soon. Besides that chrome is going to be a OS frontend as per developer beta screenshots.Opera is commercial interest company while firefox is open source/collabrative company. So that way even opera gets to top, mozzila will not run for money. It'll survive in one way or the other.

Opera can't be beat for speed, at least compared to any browsers I've tried. In my opinion, they've always been an innovative company, and in their earlier days really outdid Firefox for features. Their most recent version has a "turbo boost" for slow connections. I was a loyal Opera user for a long time because they had features that Firefox didn't (mouse gestures, good tabbed browsing, sidebars, speed dial, previews, voice commands, so many things..) and it's speed was exponentially faster than the slow FF 2.0 and under. It was much easier to customize Opera's toolbars (though Firefox is more customizable if you're a programmer or download extensions). These days, Firefox has REALLY caught up thanks to the open source community. Almost every feature Opera has that Firefox didn't in the past is now available as an extension. Opera is a still great browser for someone who wants powerful features, but isn't interested in browsing mozilla addons for them.As a supporter of Opera for a long, long time, I sadly (for them) have to admit I'm drifting away from it. It's having a hard time comparing to Firefox with the dozens of extensions I have installed. They're still putting out features like Turbo-boost browsing but even so. Firefox is fast enough now that it's hard to argue that the speed difference is significant. Firefox just feels better to me now and with extensions..it rocks! I still use Opera when time is of the essence, though.

I think Google Chrome might be faster than Opera, but still, I continue to use Firefox the most. I love the Firebug, Fireftp, Web Developer Extensions. One thing I do like about Opera is the sidebar and Notes integration. Does Firefox have a Notes Extension?

opera seems to be firefox's best rival for yearsit sure is fast, stable, secure, and use less resources than firefox (well maybe that's because firefox has many extensions to load). it has built in Essential thing that firefox doesn't have like speed dial, gesture, mail, community, and that cool themes & widgets. not to mention that they also have great community and millions user. opera offers opera mini for mobile phones, and they still updating it though it's already the best mobile browser around :)but in the other side, firefox as an open source has many customizable thing. good news for programmer and the experts. and with those extensions available, the users can maximize firefox to all its fullness. expert developers plugins, social community stuffs, scripts that optimize websites, and so on. don't forget that they also have loyal users and great community within. :(

Does Firefox have a Notes Extension?

JL, notes as in ? You mean plugin like evernote ? Evernote is note taking application and similar to google notebook but with more features. It has free account feature as well. There is also quicknotes addon, if you want to take a look at that. Two others i found from google searches are diigo and internote. In my opinion, evernote is much better add-on and it's great way to organize notes as well. So i suggest you to check that out.

Firefox always worked well for me, and as I'm on a 'just decent' connection, speed isn't that much of a factor. Put aside speed, and FF will seem to be a winner for all situations. But anyway, it's not bad to have a little competition :)

That's what i thought. firefox is probably one of the best browsers. I don't like Opera at all! What kind of company charges you for a web browser?? :)

Posted Image

Have a loot at the last three months worldwide browser usage statistics. Still Internet Explorer 7.0 rules the world. This data is collected from the StatCounter.com's Global Statistics. Numerical data of the above graph is here.

Internet Explorer 7.0 - 24.81%

Internet Explorer 6.0 - 16.77%

Internet Explorer 8.0 - 16.73%

Mozilla Firefox 3.5 - 15.5%

Mozilla Firefox 3.0 - 14.22%

Apple Safari 4 - 2.52%

Google Chrome 3.0 - 1.91%

Google Chrome 2.0 - 1.72%

Others - 5.82%

I feel that this is due to the supply of IE free with the Windows OS and people in general are yet to learn about the browser security aspects. We are still relying on the security assurance given by our antivirus programs...

I don't believe in these statistics, a lot of people using other browsers like Opera and Safari usually block useless content with local proxy servers or some other software and doesn't include their browsing in StatCounter and most of the things, such people usually don't browse those popular sites.I would want to see the statistics of browsers which are visiting Google (I mean google dot com domain), in my opinion that would be something more reliable. Personally I even block google analytics for my privacy as most of the sites has that code and I hate that. :)

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

I'm currently using Google Chrome for the first time. I guess I could say it rivals FireFox. I'm enjoying Chrome a lot more than FF though. Cleaner interface, more room, etc.