xisto Community
Dak1ng

Will Apple Ever Get Into The Console Gaming Industry? Will apple go into the gaming market?

Will Apple ever get into the console gaming industry?  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, since microsoft, nintendo, and sony are in the gaming market, most people think apple will develop their own console to dominate the market. Do you think that this could happen?

I think it could happen, though it isn't very likely. Apple has already dominated many markets (MP3 players for example), and they are busy working on the success of their current electronics.It could be possible, as they may wish to use their success in the other markets to work on video gaming ("I already have a cool iPod, so I think the new [insert game console name here] by Apple sounds good"). It will bring more competition to video gaming as well.

I don't think it'll. But what I think it might do, is buy an existing company that produces consoles already. That would make the arrival much more easy. I think Apple has enough resources to buy Nintendo, or a much smaller and unknown console company. It'd have the console technology ready to be developed. Plus Apple would already have a set of developers that are capable of producing games for that platform.

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

Well, whatever it is I can put money on the table that it'll probably be a touch screen console or something advanced. Heck, maybe they'll partner with nintendo and make a WiiPhone

I think it will because its probably going to want to follow Microsoft. If it does it might be good because it would want to surpass it. They would be kind of like rivals.

Yeah Microsoft would want to keep their heads up. But I've heard that Microsoft is making this new portable touch screen laptop thats the size if a cell a little bigger though

maybe, somedays later apple will find out the opportunity inside the gaming industry and try it out. althought i think they already know the best of the industry. but i'm sure hope that they also participate here :)

well it's theoretically possible, but we all know that any new product of Apple's is bound to be expensive and out of reach for most people. So even if it comes out with a console, chances are that only few people will be able to try it out. And who knows what restrictions Apple will place on it, like it did with Mac and the iPHone?!!

I hope not. If they do, this is what it will be like:A small, white, shiny, rectangle, with a big apple shaped dent in the top that's probably supposed to be the logo. Apple's reoccurring ideology, "smaller is better", seems to apply once again to the rectangle only 3in x 2in x 5cm. Okay, so it'll look nice on the outside, but plug it into your TV and-... ACK! A bunch of nasty interface windows with anti-stylish, uncool gray gradient textures. You won't go to the store to buy games with Apple, rather you can sit in your living room and wait for hours for them to download via iGames Store. They take forever because Apple doesn't know how to format files in an efficient way, and thus the files are ten times bigger than their competitor's games. Three days later...It's done downloading! Oh goody, I can't wait to play my first game on my new iRectangle! (Yes, that's what I decided to call it.) We start it up, and in case you forgot you were playing on an Apple product, there's a nice ten minute intro screen of the Apple logo having paint spilled on it while some catchy teen pop music plays in the background. Alright, we're finally loaded up. Now, we don't know what kind of games will be on the system, but here's what we know about them: They'll either be 2D, or run at 15 FPS tops, because Apple seems to have sacrificed any sort of processing power for maintaining a sleek exterior. Also, most of them won't be games, about 2% of them will be music creation tools, 30% video/picture editing, and another 20% just plain useless apps people recompiled from the iPhone.Another important factor: How will we control them? Well, Apple wouldn't want to bog us down with wires, or a whole lot of buttons, so they've abandoned all of that for... Another rectangle, about the size of the system itself. Situated on it is one button, but that's enough, as they've ripped off the Wiimote functionality, yay! Sadly, the gimmick will ruin 75% of the remaining 30% of games that are actually games, turning them into over-casual junk no one wants to play. To turn your controller on, you shake it really hard, as if dancing, it'll even play music for you. The downside to this, is that the controllers look identical to the system, and it's really easy to pick up the system by mistake and... Well... Apple isn't know for producing the most durable stuff.Yes, that was a horribly exaggerated review of what it would be like. 80% of that would probably never happen, but meh, it was fun to write, and I hate Apple, so I'm satisfied. :)

Apple actually already made a gaming console/computer called the Apple Pippin. It was made in conjunction with Bandai, and from what I gather, not very successful. If Apple were to make another gaming console, I don't really see it doing very well. Apple's computers can't really game that well, so I don't see their consoles gaming that well either. It would probably look good, though.

@spuddLolAre you such an apple user for quite some times that you can predict that far? :)I hope that won't happened, that could be a disgrace in gaming industry :(

@ FouGilang: Actually, no, I've never used a Mac. I had an iPod Nano, which broke, and my second one in covered in dead spots though. My only experience with Macs is second hand. I've done some research though, and I've yet to come up with a better reason for getting a Mac than: "They're shiny." Seriously, PCs do everything Macs can do, and most of the time, they do it better, so I don't plan to pay twice as much for half the computer. As far as consoles go, I can't imagine it'll be much different in the gaming industry than it is in the computer industry. :)@ Forte: Agreed.

It's true that Apple's products are actually very ordinary once you think about it. Other companies offer similar products which are better and are priced lower too. But Apple products are still very special and most people agree with that "shiny" line that Spudd mentioned. So if we see a gaming console matching up to the likes of PS3 or Xbox360, it will surely attract a lot of loyal Apple enthusiasts but may not survive in the long term...