xisto Community
Dak1ng

Gateway Laptop Model Mx60027 W/ Intel Celeron M Processor - Can I Change The Cpu?

I have a gateway laptop with an Intel Celeron M processor. It has 256 mb of RAM and it isn't fast, but it gets the job done. It came with WinXP preinstalled on it. Is there any way I can install a 64-bit Intel Dual-core processor in it and/or upgrade the RAM? Also, I want to upgrade the Hard Drive from 50 GB to 250 GB. How do you think it' perform after that?? Would it be incompatible? Would I have to buy a brand new motherboard?

I have a gateway laptop with an Intel Celeron M processor. It has 256 mb of RAM and it isn't fast, but it gets the job done. It came with WinXP preinstalled on it. Is there any way I can install a 64-bit Intel Dual-core processor in it and/or upgrade the RAM?

According to Gateway's website, your laptop has an intel Celeron M 360 processor. That's a socket 479 processor, so you would only be able to use another socket 479 processor, so the best you'd be able to get is a Celeron M 390, which is a 1.7GHz processor compared to your current 1.4GHz. However, you also need to consider whether the cooling setup in your laptop could take the extra heat produced by a faster CPU. Your current CPU produces a maximum of 21W, whereas the 390 produces 27W. It doesn't sound like much but can make a big difference in a small laptop chassis. An Intel dual-core chip is out of the question because it wouldn't physically fit in the motherboard and would produce too much heat.

Upgrading the RAM is a possibility and fairly common. According to Gateway your laptop's motherboard supports up to 1GB of PC2700 SODIMM memory. You'd want to get two 512MB modules, like this one from Scan. You can normally replace the RAM through a removable cover on the base of the laptop, often secured with a small screw or two. Opening that cover should reveal the current RAM, which you can take out and replace with two new sticks. If you search the Internet you should be able to find specific instructions for your model of laptop.

Also, I want to upgrade the Hard Drive from 50 GB to 250 GB. How do you think it' perform after that?? Would it be incompatible? Would I have to buy a brand new motherboard?

A hard drive upgrade is also fairly common and easy to do. Same applies, normally a cover on the base or side of the laptop that you can remove to replace the HDD. Any 2.5" laptop drive should work as long as it matches the IDE interface used on your laptop (as far as I can tell). However, some motherboards won't support sizes over a certain amount. If you have the manual for the laptop it should tell you, or you can contact Gateway and ask them.

Good Decision :) Was about to right the same thing Christmas is just around the corner.. wait for it and you might get a good deal :D Also , When you are buying a laptop, try looking for a laptop which is future proof. I'll suggest you make sure it has a dedicated graphics card and atleast 3 GB of RAM. That ways you have a certain upgrade options open :(