xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkHacker

What You Feel For The Name Casual Tech?

I am creating new website portal which will be called Casual Tech.I do not want to promote my website but i have a little problem,is the name good...? It will be for tips/tricks/IT news/websites etc. and i know i have competition because there are lots of websites we know for tutorials,tips,tricks,it news,pictures and websites on the web.But i will say this webpage to my friends and family and i will say it for you,trap users.I know that the name is little bad but i am not sure what you will say so i need just what you think.Name is always our decision but what you feel and what you think is other thing and i need little help.This is still plan so domain is not bought,only template is chosen.

I am creating new website portal which will be called Casual Tech.I do not want to promote my website but i have a little problem,is the name good...? It will be for tips/tricks/IT news/websites etc. and i know i have competition because there are lots of websites we know for tutorials,tips,tricks,it news,pictures and websites on the web.But i will say this webpage to my friends and family and i will say it for you,trap users.I know that the name is little bad but i am not sure what you will say so i need just what you think.Name is always our decision but what you feel and what you think is other thing and i need little help.This is still plan so domain is not bought,only template is chosen.

Haha... I suppose I saw this thread a bit too late... I saw you asking what anyone thinks about this name on the Shoutbox and they kinda ignored you, so I replied like, half an hour later. Saying it sounds alright, but I didn't know what it was for until I saw this thread... It is OK, I suppose. I know a name is important, but if it is for your family and friends and for us Xisto members, the name "Casual Tech" would be good, for casual purposes. And even if your site somehow gets popular without you promoting it, then that means that it is successful enough to make it popular, and bu that time people won't be looking at the name but at the content, I suppose.

Overall, I believe that the name reflects your purpose, and that is very important, because if you named it "beautiful Butterflies" then I don't think anyone would want to go there apart from people researching on butterflies, like biologists, and it sounds good, easy to remember, not too long... it's a good name in general, I suppose. :) Casual Tech. Nice.

Simple to read,write and remember but still i think is not shortt.Anyway,always the author of something always say that his work is not good,really! If i got that much success in my webpage,maybe i will start promoting it,but usually it will be for tricks i want to teach others,websites i like and what is their function,products i like,and describing them...I got plan how it will look like and i started coding it,but i am not sure.The problem i don't like is that casualtech.com is not available so i will need to add "-" in the middle.Will "https://www.casual-tech.com/; be good website? I know that only i am in the "Casual Tech" team so the content is very important and that i will have very much work,but that is other and i do not need to discuss about that in this topic,i want to discuss about your feelings about the name and domain.The domain is pretty long for me so that is the thing which is scarying me...I need help,that is why i started this topic

Simple to read,write and remember but still i think is not shortt.Anyway,always the author of something always say that his work is not good,really! If i got that much success in my webpage,maybe i will start promoting it,but usually it will be for tricks i want to teach others,websites i like and what is their function,products i like,and describing them...I got plan how it will look like and i started coding it,but i am not sure.The problem i don't like is that casualtech.com is not available so i will need to add "-" in the middle.Will "https://www.casual-tech.com/; be good website? I know that only i am in the "Casual Tech" team so the content is very important and that i will have very much work,but that is other and i do not need to discuss about that in this topic,i want to discuss about your feelings about the name and domain.The domain is pretty long for me so that is the thing which is scarying me...I need help,that is why i started this topic

Yeah. A good domain name has to be short enough to remember, easy to remember, and easy to type. And you never know... things like mySpace and Facebook were never intended to be popular, they were just meant to be for the creators and their friends, but now they're really popular. Things like that cannot be predicted... :) But I suggest you to remove you hyphens, as that is hard to type and easily remembered wrong as casualtech.com instead, in which all your targeted audience and will go to your competition instead. I mean, I don't seem to be able to go to casualtech.com, but searching it up on google, thecasualtechblog looks pretty OK to me too!
And you wouldn't want your community to go to other people. I have sent in a list of domain names that you might be interested in, and I have checked for their availability. I don't know if the PM reached you though, so I'm posting here just to make sure. :D I'll send it to you again if you haven't received it.

Most of them are short, but some are longer than causal-tech.com, but all of them don't have hyphens, which is good. It is said that the domain names doesn't have to be consisted of real words, so I have made most of them up, as long as they are easy to remember then they will be easy to go too. Websites like Reddit and Flickr don't have real words as their domain names too! But they are easy to remember and that is what makes them popular... :(

I hope I helped you so far... but remember, name isn't king, but content is. :D

I dont like the sound of "-" in the domain name, it's easily be another typo (like above want to enter casual-tech but mistyped to casualtech), miscalled, or other misunderstand problem may occurwhy dont you try thecasualtech? The 'the' make it kinda cool for meIt is still easy to remember and can be called TCT Team :)

To be honest, the name Casual Tech does seem to work for me. It has some kind of promise that this is a website which is worth visiting daily to get some casual tips and tricks, etc. But the inclusion of the "-" in the middle can cause some problems as FouGilang said.I would too recommend that you find an alternative name without any special characters in between because not many casual surfers might find your site if you have special characters in between.

Its a good name "Casual Tech", a lot of techies would go for that. Immediately before looking at the details of the topic i already knew what the name was about. To my reckoning one of your main competitors will be Tom's Hardware, they've got years of good reputation which will make things a little tougher for you.

I'm just thinking of the name in a more literal sense, could you offer something more than just pure technical articles on the site. For instance in a computer mag they will have amusing articles with an underlying "tech" theme, but entertain you while you drink you coffee for instance. Something like that will "differentiate" you from "Tom's Hardware" for example while retaining extra meaning with your company name.

Have you considered alternative spins such as "Casual Techie" or "The Casual Techie", i only ask because you may hit even closer to the mark by considering this.

The other issue i thought i might bring up is Trademarks. You may already know about this subject, but it may be beneficial for me to include it for other people.

Basically "copyright" will protect your information content, but not your business name or the logo for your business. For that you need a "trademark" put on the name and on the logo design. This will prevent another business from stealing your name or creating a logo that has similar forms to your own. In the event that they do copy the business name or your logo, the application you submitted on the register will prove your legal case against them.

But furthermore applications are not applied by default "internationally", what i mean is you can only successfully register your trademark first, in your country of origin. If that step is successful, you can then proceed to apply internationally through the "Madrid Protocol". The Madrid Protocol otherwise known as a the "Madrid System" was a system that allows people to apply for a trademark in multiple countries. Before this system corporations and businesses were required to make applications in each country that they wanted their trademark to apply to. The Madrid System has in excess of 25 countries which it covers and it saves you money.

So if you wanted to set an international trademark in ten well known countries you would proceed with these general steps -

You'd first come up with a business name and a logo. You go to your local trademark office to make an application. Before completing the application you would look on their database to compare your name and logo with existing businesses. If there are similarities then you will need to determine if you are still capable of making a successful application. There are numerous classes that goods and services come under and you will make your application based on how appropriate a given class is to your business "type".

For instance for web design, if i remember correctly, it is class 42 that fits best, but i "think" you can also apply under class 41 for additional cover. So for 42 (I'm fairly sure) you are setting a trademark on "IT services" which "web design" falls under. If your business type doesn't fully fit under 1 class you "have" to file multiple classes so your adequately covered (no way around it).

Ok, so once you've determined your class/s you proceed to check the database with businesses in that class for any similarities. If there are none then proceed with you application, otherwise you may not be able to. Another way to do this is to just pay for the service for someone to do it for you (which is probably usually the case people opt for).

After the application has been filled, it will take a while to be processed (typically 6 months in Australia ,not sure in other parts of the world). Once registered you are then able to register in other countries either through the Madrid System or not. The following is a list of all the countries that are part of the Madrid System -

http://www.griffithhack.com/

For instance i looked inquired about registering a trademark for 6 countries internationally. It would have cost me approximately $ 2200 do this for one single application. But if you were to file them singularly you'd be up for thousands. The other "VERY" important thing to know is people cant register the same business name in your country while you have an application "pending" in your country. Likewise if you have one pending in specifically selected countries another person cannot make an application for that name or logo, as far as I'm aware.

There is also some weird laws surrounding "typefaces" incorporated in designs and logos. For instance you can register a trademark logo with most type faces. The issue here is a type face on its own can not be trademarked e.g "a, b, c, d, etc". However there are laws that state you have to pay for a licensed "font face", as it is classed as software that is not licensed as free (although many fonts are). What you are actually paying for here is the vector outlines which display the font and its formatting features that allow you to change the way a font is displayed (kerning, baseline, etc).

For instance there are some font sites that allow you to display a preview of font. Generally speaking, you can take some screen shots, vector them and construct your own legit logo, which you can account for where it originated and all for free (because they are your outlines). Or you can purchase and use a font for a minimal fee.

Thank you very much for your fast,but very good answers which helped me.I am in other timezone so i needed to wait one day to see,normally i need to sleep...Because Nameless_ was very good member,only he wasn't ignoring me and only he helped me,and sent me PM i would like to give him reputation on someway.So i nominate him.Only thing i need to specify is that my domain needs to end with ".com".Sorry because i want very much,but here we are to help.All domains Nameless_,sent to me were perfect and he had lots of work as i can see so Nameless,please copy your message here,to get mycents,please.HE gave me domains which are available,and to find that much big list of available domains is not easy.I liked all them but they were available only for ".net" and ".org" not ".com" which i want.@inverse_bloom,what you said? I am not starting real company,to go to local trademark office.Still i am not 18 and still am not that much serious.I will only create a simple web page and a simple photoshop logo with some font i will download and i will do the plan i have.

Edited by TheDarkHacker (see edit history)

Thank you very much for your fast,but very good answers which helped me.I am in other timezone so i needed to wait one day to see,normally i need to sleep...Because Nameless_ was very good member,only he wasn't ignoring me and only he helped me,and sent me PM i would like to give him reputation on someway.So i nominate him.Only thing i need to specify is that my domain needs to end with ".com".Sorry because i want very much,but here we are to help.All domains Nameless_,sent to me were perfect and he had lots of work as i can see so Nameless,please copy your message here,to get mycents,please.HE gave me domains which are available,and to find that much big list of available domains is not easy.I liked all them but they were available only for ".net" and ".org" not ".com" which i want.@inverse_bloom,what you said? I am not starting real company,to go to local trademark office.Still i am not 18 and still am not that much serious.I will only create a simple web page and a simple photoshop logo with some font i will download and i will do the plan i have.

I wouldn't post the list up for myCENTS if I were you... domain sitters and hoggers can always come to this site and snatch away all the domains from the list in no time so if someone like you happens to change their mind last minute the domain will already be gone... :) And no... I think you misunderstood. There were .com domains in there as well.... I put it in this format:

yourdomain.com/net/org

So you might have missed the .com bit. But I sent you another list with only the .com domains in it. But as inverse_bloom said, casualtechie sounds good too. Better buy it if you want it before someone else comes along and sees this thread and buy it before you do. And anyway, it was my pleasure to help you. You know what I reckon who should post their PMs and earn myCENTS for their work? Inverse_bloom should. He helped me more than I helped you, I must say... with design concepts and all that stuff, he actually went to all the websites and analyzed it with he professional skills for me, and the amount that he wrote is more than my longest post ever, and definitely more than the list that I gave you... :( I suppose we are here just to help each other, and I try to do my best to contribute back to this friendly forum as much as I can because of all the support that I receive her...

@inverse_bloom: I thought that you had to pay a hefty amount of money for the registration of a company? I searched this up quite a long time ago in the library and it was said that unless your company is very well know and that a lot of money and credit could be lost if you don't register (like Google and McDonalds), you don't have to worry about registering your logo and company name... I mean, possibly not everything shop in the world registered their name and logo, right? Like those mini shops on the streets in poorer countries...

I thought that you had to pay a hefty amount of money for the registration of a company?

Let me tell you scenario in my country. If the earning of person is under 1,90,000/- per year then if that person creates company or sells services or anything doesn't requires registration unless the investment and profit goes above this level. If it goes above this by even 1 bucks then that person needs to open registration and other tax things. Also if you are renting space and starting business then even if your earning is below the tax-free amount then you'll still be charged for taxes from localized taxes. This is how stuff works for company startup in my country. So most of time companies in india if totally created using internet services then they save a lot of money. Unless they spread their wings too wide they're not even required to register for copyright and tax/localized taxes etc.

OK so this is the list of domains i have for now...Final domains from the list:1.techrone.com2.casualtechie.com3.junkietech.comAhhh i am gonna kill the guy who will steal one from this domains :) I like all these but i cannot chose one because all they are very good.One friend has website with hyphen but still his name is good.Anyway i will believe you and i will not use hyphen,like the domains i specified in my final list.All they are good you need to say and i needed to other them with number,what i think which is the best.Tech Rone is very good one,but and CasualTech is interesting.I am not sure for Junkie Tech but maybe i am gonna buy it.If i got enough people,min. 4 for domain,i will buy it.I do not want to make mistake like my other domain,which was very stupid.....Lets hope this one will be very good.

Final domains from the list:1.techrone.com
2.casualtechie.com
3.junkietech.com
Ahhh i am gonna kill the guy who will steal one from this domains

2nd As i said earlier looks much cool and catchy. i'll go with with 2nd one. If the name tech is available then register it. And fast, else i'm gonna take your domain and will register it. Go hurry up else i'll open paypal window soon. :) (jK)

HAHAH lets hope you are joking.Yes it is available and i will register it i know it is cool and it is very interesting but lets see what others will say :) Junkie Tech is good but i am not sure how much junkie is connected with tech...

Junkie is not good for technology related site and blog. Though it's all about content when it comes to site but i think sometimes name matters as well. Some name are more famous not because of content but because of their name. So unless you've plan or somthing don't use "junk" name.