xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ho-oh'sRealm

Internet And "real Life" Friends

Seeing as I've had close Internet friends for ages now, I was thinking about this quite alot. Why do people see having online friends as so bad? Especially if you balance the internet and real life, what is so bad about it? I find that my Internet friends can help me through some problems my real life friends can't because they have never experienced what I'm going through or just give useless advice. My mum asks "Why waste your life on a chat room or forum talking to people you've never met?" My answer to this: Friends are friends.True, not everyone online you talk to can be trusted, it's your choice/risk to meet and talk to people online, but still. Heck, the fact that we are even here in these forums is because we wanted to talk and get to know people who share a similar interest in Pokemon, as well as many other things. Also, an online friend of mine left one day saying we were "avoiding reality" - I don't see what's so bad about it, as long as you're balanced (I'm semi-balanced, but definitely not anti-social). I'd like to hear your opinions on this.

The biggest reason why many people don't trust internet friends is that it's so easy to lie online!. You may be lucky and meet a few good people on the net but the majority of the online relationships (including friendship and others) are based on lies. And it's hard to spot who's lying and about what, unless you meet in real life.

Meeting people online is actually an interesting process, because the people you meet are from all over the world instead of being across your street! But there are all kinds of people out there - some friendly, some sulky, some dangerous, etc. and you need to be prepared for their reactions if you want to chat with them.

Personally I don't mind meeting new people online but I take care not to drop my guard and do something silly. For example, some idiot might be in an idiotic mood and comes onto sites like omegle.com where strangers chat. This idiot may dish out his anger by trolling, which irritates the other guy. But responding back in the same way is of little use and may even lead to something unsatisfactory. That's why online chats need to be taken care of carefully. Making new friends is awesome, but it should be done with care :)

ok it depends on what do you call a "friend"a real friend, either on internet or in real life, is a "person" that has a deep knowledge about us.An identity that answer about technical problems is not a friend, is a partner, a colleague, anything but never a friend.

Some of my friends are online, i have online friendship with them. I have some distant firends whom i meet online only, i keep a good relation with them too.

there is a site to help the location/details of your online friends ,
, without their knowledge

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

this will help to see if your friend is lying you about his location

When I was in school, I had much more online friends which I've never seen, only in pictures and etc. But with time I just started to be not as active online as I used to be, due to things in real life, like girlfriend, job, studies and it just lacks time to get in contact, sometimes I just chat with several of online friends, like whats up, how are things and stuff, nothing more.I guess online friends are good as you can get more knowledge about different regions from different countries. :)

While I do understand where people come from on this matter, I do not view this as being "pathetic" or a problem, just because you have *online friends*. As long as you can draw the line on where they stand to you, as people, and that real life is more important than online.But, I pose a question for everyone else. In the probability you meet someone online, and become friends, is it still considered "online" if they live in the SAME town as you? They went to the same high school? I would like to know how others view this scenario.

I dislike people who are always like "Oh I have over a thousand friends on MYSPACE!" All though I know a lot of people who use Social networking to communicate with real friends. I think people should spend more time looking for friends in real life. The only online friends I have are you guys here at Trap. :)

I don't say I have many friends online since I am a beginner online and not all of my friends online are true and trusted sinceas the author said "its easy to lie online" Internet today has reported a lot of crimes and the best crime is Identity Theft yes.. well I experience this sometimes way back in the past there is a guy who get some of my pictures in my facebook and hey he uses a different name but the picture is me? wow huh? its very easy to copy and paste a picture also to invent a name :( @Zagubadu why you hate them? :) hey so we are friends online now? XD I agree with you thatfinding and focusing in real life friends is a nice way :) but sometimes online friends are okey too in fact notall users now are lie :D

i have several internet friends over the years ,some we have shared many heartaches and marriages and divorces and new babies ,shared the good and the bad .some I've even driven to actually visit them .Internet friends or off line friends does it really matter which it is ,we are all people behind these screens that holds feelings and can get really hurt by simple things ,typed on line and would be no different than our friends we see face to face each day .we laugh and argue and cry together and have success and fall in love at times ,it is all real .so i feel friends are friends ,no matter where you find the at . :)

i have several internet friends over the years ,some we have shared many heartaches and marriages and divorces and new babies ,shared the good and the bad .some I've even driven to actually visit them .

Internet friends or off line friends does it really matter which it is ,we are all people behind these screens that holds feelings and can get really hurt by simple things ,typed on line and would be no different than our friends we see face to face each day .

we laugh and argue and cry together and have success and fall in love at times ,it is all real .

so i feel friends are friends ,no matter where you find the at . :)

An interesting look on it. I believe yea thats good. But there are some people out there that care a bit too much about internet friends. I guess it just depends on the person and whether or not they really consider the person on the other side of the internet their real friend.

I think internet or real life its all the same.Look at it this say folks: We all agree there are bad people in this world right...YES and good people too...YES...do they both use computers and the internet...YES...so can you stumble into a good person on the net...HECK YES!!!!It comes down to personal judgement of character. I have had online friendships that blossomed and maybe its because these friends are behind a screen or something but they give good advice many times. They tend not to judge by physical appearance...most of my friends, i love the way they think...so we both have something in common...we both love intellectual discussion.Its a big misconception that internet people lie. In most cases you find online people are the most truthful because they really don't care how you might be affected, heck they could be on a total different planet...lol, okay continent!!I'm for both friendships if it benefits both parties equally. Internet friendships need a cautious, sober approach though.

I think internet or real life its all the same.
Look at it this say folks: We all agree there are bad people in this world right...YES and good people too...YES...do they both use computers and the internet...YES...so can you stumble into a good person on the net...HECK YES!!!!

It comes down to personal judgement of character. I have had online friendships that blossomed and maybe its because these friends are behind a screen or something but they give good advice many times. They tend not to judge by physical appearance...most of my friends, i love the way they think...so we both have something in common...we both love intellectual discussion.

Its a big misconception that internet people lie. In most cases you find online people are the most truthful because they really don't care how you might be affected, heck they could be on a total different planet...lol, okay continent!!

I'm for both friendships if it benefits both parties equally. Internet friendships need a cautious, sober approach though.

I see what your saying but hear this. When is it easier to pretend to be different then you actually are? Internet or real life. Well that ones obvious. I'm not saying every single person you meet on the internet is not who they actually are. But you can never really be sure. Also I agree that people over the internet can only hear your voice and thats it. Which is a good thing. That way you will not be judged before hand by how you look.

We all have them though. The only problem some people have is thinking they are a replacement for real life. If you can't separate real life from the online life, then it becomes a problem, and you shouldn't have online *friends*. It does not make you a loser, or have *no life* like people always say or claim, so long as you don't mix real life friends and online internet friends up. Real life friends are much more important than people you will meet online, and they can't be a substitute, but it is nice to have some.

For the past 30 years, people communicate more and more between each other, for example: when phones appeared at almost every house, people were talking and I guess some people also were thinking "people might of talk with phones more than in real life". To continue, mobile phones are now popular all over the world, people are talking even if they're in a car, in a bus, anywhere, what you could not do by having a home phone, all the youth every minute is communicating with others by sending sms messages.Today a lot of people chat by sitting on a computer and can communicate with anyone across the globe, because usually we use cell phones to talk in some regions, as calling further is quite expensive.So if young people forget regular, nice chats near a cup of coffee, I wouldn't be surprised, but as I know most of those chats are useless, most of SMS'es I write to my friends, I forget them quite fast, it doesn't make you more intelligent, apart that I can talk online to some people from Arabia and get some knowledge how they live there and tell it to my local friends by sharing this knowledge.Today I even can't imagine how people used to live in the 1950-1980.. I guess I would be very bored? :)