xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Windows 7 - So What's The Review?

It's been a week since Windows 7 was unleashed into the markets (both legal and illegal :(). I don't know how many people actually bought them off the shelves on the very first day, but I am interested in knowing whether you think it's worth the wait. I mean the wait from the release of Vista - we've all been waiting for a better Windows OS ever since Vista got released!!! So if you have purchased (or got hold of) Windows 7, please give a small review on how you feel it is. Would you recommend it to everyone you meet? Or do you still think it's just like a service pack to Vista?! :)

I had worked on Windows 7 computer.It is copy of Vista but it is good for me.Have interesting options,which are a little different from Vista and i feel good.I don't like that some games which work on XP,are not working on vista and now,on Windows 7.Interesting design,looking like Vista,bigger taskbar - the name of day is written.It is pretty fast,some operations can take little more then vista (i don't know why) but it is interesting.For me i think new computers should remember all your actions and on that way they should set preferences.This is just idea,but can be realized simple but it will make mistakes and that will not be intelligence.I need to say that it doesn't look like new OS,it looks like they wanted to make better Vista.That is all about software.About hardware this OS is made better and you can run 7 on cheap computers.Still i can't find the newest Windows 7 download version,so can somebody give me link? I don't like torrents,or any illegal links,i want Windows 7 Trial if possible.I think Microsoft made a mistake with releasing this OS,before is made,and it is tested,because i think this OS is copy,so they aren't testing it so much.I rate 8/10 for Windows 7.It really looks like it is service pack to Vista :)

Still i can't find the newest Windows 7 download version,so can somebody give me link? I don't like torrents,or any illegal links,i want Windows 7 Trial if possible.I think Microsoft made a mistake with releasing this OS,before is made,and it is tested,because i think this OS is copy,so they aren't testing it so much.I rate 8/10 for Windows 7.It really looks like it is service pack to Vista biggrin.gif

Windows 7 is available to download only for MSDN subscribers (legally). And Microsoft gave the public two chances to try Windows 7 - once during the beta release and then during the RC release. Both versions are closed for downloading now and so the only legal way to download Windows 7 is to become an MSDN subscriber. Otherwise, one has to purchase it from the stores in the old-fashioned way :(

I've tried both the beta and RC versions but just wanted to know what changes have been made in the final build. From the screenshots I can tell that the appearance is about the same as in the RC, but I'm sure there has been something extra included in the final build and that's what I wanna know :) So if someone can tell me about this it would be very much appreciated.

Heres a 4 page review o.o
http://www.pcworld.com/article/172602/windows_7_review.html

I havn't been able to try 7 yet (mainly because of the $400 price tag o.o)

so for those of you who are like me you have get the windows 7/vista experience for free if you are running windows xp!!

Windows Seven Transformation Pack
http://www.winxtp.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t

Windows Vista Transformation Pack
http://www.winxtp.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t

These are thems and skins made to make every aspect of your computer to look and work like windows vista/7

everything from the cursors, sounds. start menu. explorer. Even the boot screen will look like vista or 7!!!
You will never see the Windows XP logo ever again!!!

I'm currently using the seven pack and I very much like it I highly suggest them if you are stuck with XP

(soz for sloppy typing i was in a hurry lol)

Cheers :)

Edited by Soviet Rathe (see edit history)

i've got my hand to try windows 7 Ultimate N Version, and it's not so bad (far better than windows vista which ruined my pc in the next day) :)post-90218-1257375896_thumb.jpgthe gui looks a lot like vista, though i prefer some styling of old windows so i changed some preferences. the good for nothing thingy on your right desktop called sidebar has been removed, that's good. i was really hoped that damn thing to be gone forever, even for vista transformation pack or others like that i wont add them to my listwindows dream scene (the one you use to make your video as desktop background) has been removed too, but i think that was BAD, the dream scene was the first thing that make your desktop different from vista/seven transformation pack. luckily there is this windows7_dreamscene.exe and i can bring back this dream scene (and it didn't make my pc any slower, again, better than vista) :Dthat annoying pop up, the UAC (User Account Control) is back! i wonder why microsoft cant make something better than that thing for windows's security... i dont know either if it is really that useful for securing windows...for some reason, i cant change the partition of C:/ with my partition manager. maybe it's again because some microsoft's security or whatever :(i didnt found any problem with my drivers, except that my ati radeon x600 went much slower in the game, in xp i can get say 160 fps (frame per second). and now with windows 7 it went far down to 60 fps and the optimal performance option wont work, it seems the v-sync cant be turned off. nothing to worry about though, since i'm not really into this game.oh, yeah and you know what, windows 7 N versions did not have windows media player built in it. i though that would be just fine, but then i found that without windows media player, you wont have the codec for .wmv, so i lost my compressed videos lol. fortunately, the days microsoft released windows media player for windows 7 N version (maybe because too many people sent petition, yeah)

I definitely have to say that Windows got a lot prettier, somewhat user-friendly, and more productive.Jumping straight from an XP perspective with little Vista experience, I can say that I don't miss any performance issues. The only gripes I have so far is that it doesn't play well with some of my programs, like Microsoft Office XP. (PowerPoint loves to go unresponsive.) Gaming is great on Windows 7, with Fallout 3 at maximum graphic and CPU settings on a 2.13GHz dual core Pentium, 4GB of DDR2 RAM, and a GeForce 9800M GS graphics chip.I still think that Windows 7 is slow to boot and still suffers from the strange issue of taking much longer to boot up when you use the logon screen (as opposed to just booting into the Windows environment seamlessly). Shutting down is pretty quick.Updates are nice and frequent and retain the ease of being selective as to what you want updated or not. The Action Center is actually useful in troubleshooting problems and reminds you of useful things, like setting a backup option, having anti-virus, etc. without being annoyed by the stupid balloon too much. The user interface is good too with the taskbar and being able to preview windows and use jump lists. It's funny that one of the cooler things with Aero was Windows+Tab, but I never use it. I do like waving my cursor over window previews and how Windows 7 applies Aero Peek to every other window but the one you hover over to show it to you.There's a lot that I probably didn't cover, but Windows 7 is pretty good in my book so far. I haven't experienced a BSOD yet... but I have run into one occurrence of not being able to shut the computer down for some reason. (I would click on Shut Down, then try Restart, then try something else... but it would just sit there and do nothing. You could still use programs and do whatever you needed to do, just like if you didn't even try to shut down in the first place.)

Thanks for the reviews guys :) I don't think anyone has had a BSOD in 7 yet (correct me if I'm wrong) so that's one good thing already. As for gaming, I can say it works well with lower-config PCs too, although with the graphics turned down. I don't know about the other bugs and issues but the most irritating factor is the price - it's still way too greedy for a virus-prone software like Windows!!!

Yeah i agree, windows 7 is priced expensively, i reckon i'll keep with XP for now as it does all i want from it. Actually i'll download that transformation pack Soviet Rathe mentioned, it looks a goodie.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Transformation packs are good when you have the system resources to support it - I don't and if I try to install packs like those my RAM gets hogged up and the system becomes too slow. Anyway I have the RC version running still so no need for packs yet, at least not until April when the RC expires!

My system is very fast with my transformation pack,but problem is that still,everything is xp.There are no new options in control panel as seven have,there are no wirelless options like seven have,no wizards like seven have.That is the reason why i choose to try Windows 7.

I have worked on Loads of Operating Systems in my time Windows XP to Windows 7 to Mac OSX Leopard and so on. Windows Vista well just no comment but "Microsoft totally failed at it". Windows 7 however is fantastic, They have lowered the amount of resources used in Windows 7. They have made it feel easy and fun to use with the new Task bar and popular aero look 'n Feel. I find its great for media with the Windows Media Center built in along with Gaming, All my games seem to run fine as they would in XP where as Windows Vista used to make them Lag like hell!Windows 7 is now up but will it stay up, C net and others have rated Snow leopard to be better though before upgrading to Snow leopard you have to buy Leopard and the Upgrade for Snow leopard is around $40. Apple do know how to charge remember. But what will happen to Windows 7 once Google OS comes out & Will it be as popular as Google Chrome? I Am pretty much sure it will. So far Google are only building their OS for Net books and Notebooks though they say in time they will move it on to Desktops & Maybe Servers.

Edited by Ash-Bash (see edit history)

My system is very fast with my transformation pack,but problem is that still,everything is xp.There are no new options in control panel as seven have,there are no wirelless options like seven have,no wizards like seven have.That is the reason why i choose to try Windows 7.

Transformation packs only give the look and feel of the real operating system.. if you want it to be truly like the OS then you should go real OS
as for me I like the options of XP and the look of vista and that's why I have the vista transformation pack

still,everything is xp

if you used the pack i posted then you shouldn't ever see the xp logo ever again even in the boot screen will say vista/7

Windows 7 shouldn't be too much of an expense if you are a student or if you recently bought a PC... or if you know a student or someone you know recently bought a PC AND don't care to upgrade to Windows 7 (since they probably would go for a full-out Linux installation or something like that).

If you are a student, you have the option of providing a student e-mail to snag Windows 7 Home Premium for only $30 using the student promotion.

If you just bought a PC with Vista Home Premium on it, you get an upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium for free.

If you are willing to talk to some friends or family, you can get the Windows 7 Family Pack, effectively paying only $50 for each license.

And of course, if you decide to go by way of piracy, you can get it for free.

Even with a legitimate purchase, Windows 7 is still pretty affordable... if you know how to get it at an affordable price.

@rayzoredge: Thanks for the tips. The student license is only valid in the US and as for the upgrade offer - I'm not using Vista :) But it is indeed interesting to note that Microsoft is trying hard to get back into people's good books and to improve their image. I wonder how far it will succeed!

And of course, if you decide to go by way of piracy, you can get it for free.

Lol...it's common knowledge that pirated copies will almost always come pre-loaded with trojans and all sorts of awful stuff hidden deep inside, so it's not advisable to go that way!!!

Even with a legitimate purchase, Windows 7 is still pretty affordable... if you know how to get it at an affordable price.

MS is acting very friendly to US citizens (who doesn't at home!). But in the rest of the world it still holds a cold shoulder with its high prices :(