xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

What Would You Do If You Were A Trap17 Admin?

I was going to ask what you would do if you were a T17 mod, but let's just imagine you got the ultimate power and were made an admin :D What sort of changes would you bring about in the forum? Support your theories with some reasons too, otherwise they would just seem like empty ideas with no practical use...(note to the real admins: sorry! :(:) )

Um... you can look at things in two ways: Bias as a forum member attempting to be an administrator or actually putting yourself in the shoes of the administrators... but either way...:- I would change the look of the forums because I don't really like the template at all (even though I know that this is better than the previous version, sorry!!!)- I would reduce the size of the forums so that it is more narrow because I don't like the wide look of it taking up the whole entire browser screen (you know, the rows of different forum topics)- This is being bias here: I would give more myCENTS to everyone!!! Or just have posting as optional. :( Tee hee!!!- This is NOT being bias here: I would intergrate a flat myCENTS system instead of a discouraging one where you get less myCENTS the more you post because it would discourage members, which is probably why most of the old members leave this forum anyway... :) I agree with them. While it may do good to encourage new members, I believe that a flat system would be the best because it discourages multiple accounts and does not discriminate old or new members at all... this is the best system for our members-Be more active in the forums!!! I haven't see any admins around recently... a visit would be nice. You know, admins always used to be so active when the forums are new and they are eagerly promoting their site and after that, after they get some mods they just forget the site and make it work for them...- Get some more interesting topics!!! Because things seem to go bland at the moment. Or maybe because I don't understand half the threads due to my novice computer knowledge...-Use simple Machines Forum instead of IPB!!! Mainly because I like their smileys better than the IPB ones... haha. Um... that is all for now. I will post more points later once I get some more ideas and get some replies for this thread... :D I just don't want to be a sad loner. :D

Those are some interesting suggestions, although I would like to comment on only one particular thing:

Be more active in the forums!!! I haven't see any admins around recently... a visit would be nice. You know, admins always used to be so active when the forums are new and they are eagerly promoting their site and after that, after they get some mods they just forget the site and make it work for them...

What you said may be true in most forums but in our case it's entirely different. The entire show behind the scenes is being run by the admins. They may not be seen in the forums, but I'm sure they're working hard a lot to keep things running smoothly :)

@ Nameless (About using SMF): Dude, it may be free software to use, but believe me...using SMF/phpBB/MyBB/PHPFusion software fora hosting FORUM is not much of a good idea. Just think or atleast imagine how many members we'd lose because of a software change. It may be easy for others, but on the otherhand, hard for some or even most people. Just because you've used SMF and / or free software does not mean, that for a hosting "discussion" forum should use it also. You can't get very good modifications for free software nowadays in the "forums" software business. Not as good as the new IPB mods being made. But some v2.3 of IPB mods made by Calypso, and a few other resource sites are very very good!If I was a Xisto Admin, I'd get some nice mods installed (useful mods), for example, I'd install a mod for inviting friends to Xisto. A modification that sits in the FOOTER section of the skin style templates. Hell, if OpaQue asked me, I'd code a modification for the forums. I don't mind...but it's just his thought of upgrading to 3.0. I am just worried about that, I mean, I'm not saying OpaQue is somewhat the word "crap" or "sh... (you know the word), I'm just saying I'd really feel bad if Xisto got millions of IPS errors, fatal errors, pharse errors etc etc. (I hope I made myself clear about this, so you can understand well!). I'd just hate to see Xisto mess up because of IPS's failure rubbish new version of Invision Power Board. I'd rarther OpaQue stick with 2.3.6 fornow, until we can be sure that the new version(s) of IPB are safe to use, wait till most (if not all) bugs are fixed.But well, that's my opinion anyway. But yeah, I'd really hate to see Xisto die because of some upgrade issue with 3.0s features.(I hope you understand where I am coming from about this. :))

@Sky: OpaQue's planning to upgrade? That's weird...didn't read about it in the forums anywhere....is there a thread/post where this is mentioned? I don't have anything for or against v3.0, but I did hear a lot of people(including you) saying that its too complex and has some bugs in it. It would indeed be bad if a forum of T17's size got messed up!

Oh...ok and I just found a thread in the Suggestions section in which the same matter was discussed. I even did some googling about it and it does seem true that we're better off with the older version now :)

Exactly. Besides, Invision Power Board 2.3.6 suites Xisto better then the new version..the new 3.0.4 version (well, from 3.0.0 to 3.0.4) has been really buggy.

Change the way the forum looks. change all the forums so that it is easier to navigate.currently there are waaay too many categories and sub forums. it all makes it confusing and extremely hard and tiring to navigate through.I'd also delete all the inactive users because..well they're inactive! they serve no purpose here

@ Nameless (About using SMF): Dude, it may be free software to use, but believe me...using SMF/phpBB/MyBB/PHPFusion software fora hosting FORUM is not much of a good idea. Just think or atleast imagine how many members we'd lose because of a software change. It may be easy for others, but on the otherhand, hard for some or even most people. Just because you've used SMF and / or free software does not mean, that for a hosting "discussion" forum should use it also. You can't get very good modifications for free software nowadays in the "forums" software business. Not as good as the new IPB mods being made. But some v2.3 of IPB mods made by Calypso, and a few other resource sites are very very good!

Yeah, I suppose. Paid forum softwares are always better than the free ones, right? I don't know... I'll just leave it to the experts. I don't really know much about them, sorry. TO me, the only difference are the smileys, and I really like them more than the other forum software ones. I like the bold look of them. :)

But if SMF isn't compatible with myCENTS system, then obviously I would stick with IPB. It's not like I really like SMF for some reason... I just like their smileys, that's all... but just forget that... it was only a suggestion. I don't think I'll see Xisto using SMF one day anyway... :(

If i were given an administrative position in the forums, i'd request to be downgraded back to moderator. I don't want that position and all that it comes with. Modifying the forum structure and applying modifications isn't what an administrator is all about—anyone can do that. There is more to being an administrator than that. Anyone who truly considers being an administrator of this forum can only increase integrity with me. Therefore the ones that are still an administrator should be thanked for remaining in their position.

@truefusion: That's a very interesting answer :) Most people would readily accept a position of power but your intention is very thoughtful. Maybe I would say something similar and maybe I wouldn't be ready even for the mod position yet. Both are really challenging jobs and I guess I don't have what it takes to do it now.

tbh I don't think I would change anything if I was an admin.. things seems great they way the current admins have them.but I think I would get a new site skin :)and I would come up with something more interactive where theres more to do then just post.

It seems to be quite unaminous, poeple keep asking about changing the look of trap 17's forums. Forgive my ignorance if i'm wrong, but wouldn't that be a piece of cake?. I guess if we do get around to changing it, the chosen style and colors will need to be designed with longevity in mind. (to stay fresh and very readable)

@inverse_bloom: Well sadly no one has enough time to arrange that piece of cake :( I mean that the admins are busy with ensuring the background processes run smoothly, so they're not finding enough time to work out the look of the forum. But I'm sure they're noting down all of these suggestions and hopefully someday they will surprise us with a sparkling new theme :)