xisto Community
The Simpleton

Compiler/editor Similar To Tc For Ubuntu?

I've gotten so used to TC that I find the process of editing and compiling C programs in Ubuntu a bit tiring :) So I was wondering if someone could direct me to a compiler/editor just like TC, built for Ubuntu? I've tried out a few but none of them seemed to come even close to TC...

I've never heard of TC. GCC is the most popular compiler used for compiling C and C++ programs (though it may support other languages) under Linux. Look up SCons or Waf: they're both replacements for the GNU autotools which were made to make compiling C and C++ programs an automated process, but SCons and Waf are much easier to maintain. Waf seems easier to use, but SCons seems to have better documentation. They're both written in Python and only require a few lines of code to compile a program for you. They are indeed very useful and a whole lot easier to work with than the GNU autotools.

I've used TC (Turbo C) all my life (meaning 2 years!) and although it's primitive it was enough for the basic programming I did. I did try GCC once but somehow didn't like the feel of it overall. Thanks for pointing out those two compilers - I'll try them out soon.

@Truefusion, he means borlands turbo C++ series. @The simpleton, Turbo C++/C was only for windows and it was unique and last time it was updated the version called turbo explorer. Now if you want old version like that dos based editor then you're out of luck on linux. You can try GUI based editor on linux like anjuta, kdevelop and many other similar GUI based IDE. I can suggest you to use gcc from terminal which is like TC but not exactly. So it's good to use GUI editor instead of using such tools. One more thing is you can use winehq or crossover then it may allow you to use that editor TC++ inside ubuntu. TC++ can be run inside dosbox so you can try dosbox's linux version and then see if it works with TC++. I have just posted some possibilities for you, check if any works with you.

Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

I am using vim in Ubuntu for coding and compiling C programs. Even thought it may be a lot of typing, I use it as way to improve command line skills. By the way, you need to install the vim, as the one included in the distro has minimal features and no syntax highlighter.

@BCD: I have a subject on UNIX at college and over there I have no other choice but to use vim for coding :) It sure is fun sometimes but for long programming I still prefer a GUI and some convenient compiler/editor like TC