xisto Community
FouGilang

Can We Use 2 Server With 1 Domain?

This may be a stupid question, but... Can we?Let's just say i have this domain.net, and make two sub-domain within: indonesia.domain.net for indonesian user and international.domain.net for the other countryCan i make that international.domain.net to point trap's hosting server without affecting my indonesia.domain.net (which already pointing to my indonesian hosting server)?Thank you :)

You would need another domain name at the second server to accept the redirect from the international.domain.com page.Domain names can not (to my knowledge) be shared between two servers, unless they are on the same server cluster, maybe.

Phew, that's just too bad if i have to buy another domain for that :(I was thinking similar to that co.cc has: a co.cc subdomain which points to your hosting server (with adjusting nameserver, cname and record)Can anyone confirm how this done? Or is it can only be done if i own the server (not just shared hosting)? :)

Didn't hear about 2 server in one domain name.. hmm yes maybe? i don't if giving two different cname into a domain name can that be posible? yet two different hosting company

I don't think that you have to buy another domain just for that... I mean, you only want subdomains, right? And not a proper domain? I believe that it is possible to separate the two subdomains and link them to different sites though. You can do this in your cPanel, I think, though I haven't had any experience with them yet. If you just want the same amount of diskspace and bandwidth then you will have to buy extra hosting. Remember: if you are going to buy another domain just for another server, then you will have to pay extra. Why not just use the same server to do the two different sites? I think that it is possible for that... if you ever need diskspace or bandwidth, just upgrade your hosting account... :)

I don't know the answer to your question, but my question is, why would you really need to do that?! You have two sub-domains, right? One server can handle them both at the same time, so using another server would be just waste of money, right? If you use two sub-domains and one server you save a lot than using 2 servers and 1 domain (if that is possible!)

Why not just use the same server to do the two different sites? I think that it is possible for that...

Why not just use the same server to do the two different sites? I think that it is possible for that...

no, it's totally different serverwell to make it clear, let's just say my indonesian hosting server provider sucks when it comes to serving connection for other country..... lol maybe you're gonna say that's only one funny reason, but for some reason, i really fail to ping my site via some west country ping-ing-site
so i want to use trap's hosting server for my international-service site (back to my "international.domain.net" i said before), with better performance, speed and bigger space and bandwidth, i think it'll come out good without have to cost my very limited indonesian server :)
but it will be kind of funny (for me, at least) if i use two domain for that, and there will be 2 similar site name with the same keyword make their way in the search engine (oh it is sooo not cool, make myself look like a twin...)
so i want to just make my second site within my first domain (if you ask me, there's nothing good in my top-domain, it is the sub-domain is good)

Hmm your concept seems plausible but I don't know how far it will work out. I'm afraid you're gonna have to wait for an experienced person to clarify on this matter - the general opinion is that you can't do it :) but there may still be hope - just wait and see...

I only with a load balancer, you can redirect the traffic to the web server (in the same server) which is "freer". But in your case, it is 2 different server, so I think the load balancer wont do it. Maybe, for information purpose, I know of some hosting company which have a server all over the world. What is does it this. When you upload to one of the servers, it will be cache to the rest. And when users hit your domain name, it will be directed to your nearest server or the server nearest to you with the less load. But such hosting service cost a bomb. What I suggest, see your traffic. If majority of it is from Indonesia, then no point having another to serve the "western countries". And vice-versa, close the hosting for the Indonesia based server and switch to a more "western" orientated one.

Hmm... I understand why you would want to move a subdomain to Xisto now... because it will make things faster, and the reason why you won't be moving the whole entire site to Xisto is because you will need to post more to catch up with the myCENTS needed for the extra site, right? I really don't know how to help you then... bat as far as I know it is not possible. If this was the case, then people would be spreading their many subdomains among different servers all the time on free webhosting companies and make lots of accounts so that they will not need to pay for a paid hosting forum...The only thing I can think of is to use another webhosting company, but Xisto is the best free one as one can go... I mean, have you ever heard of hosting company giving you free unlimited hosting? I think not... :-( Sorry, I don't know how to help... you'll have to ask a proper expert for this. I'm stil new to everything, and haven't even gotten I site up yet. :)

I dont know
I'm still trying to make it confirmed, yet it seems the only thing i can do is try it myself though
See that domain.co.cc and domain.co.nr? Aren't they at about the same level with subdomain.domain.cc and subdomain.domain.nr? Just why they can but we can't, i wonder?

When you upload to one of the servers, it will be cache to the rest. And when users hit your domain name, it will be directed to your nearest server or the server nearest to you with the less load.

You mean something like that 'max boost area' or something? (dunno, read that before in a glance of some hosts)That, without any doubt, will definitely killed my economic system lol

And for the traffic you said, i have 3000+ pageviews from indonesia and 300+ this month (based on the stat in my host panel)
But still it is quite unfair to compare, i must say
As i mentioned above, my indonesian hosting server sucks at serving bandwith for foreigners: it may be REALLY lag, timed out, or even can't resolve the address

I'm not sure if this works, FouGilang, because I haven't tried it before, but you can test it on a free webhosting company and see if it works... try and order a free hosting account with your subdomain. So let's say if you made a sub domain in your main domain's cPanel, try and see if it works if you register a free new hosting account with that. If it doesn't work though, try and delete the subdomain and try again. I doubt that it would work though, because of the Domain Nameserver system, You'll have to see if you can point the Domain Nameserver of your sub domain and not your main domain and see if it works...I was thinking of telling you to use the same web hosting company to over come the nameserver problem, but I just realised that it wouldn't work because your hosting company is that on an Indonesian local webhosting company. Why don't you just move over to Xisto? It makes things much more easier.... :-/

I dont knowI'm still trying to make it confirmed, yet it seems the only thing i can do is try it myself though
See that domain.co.cc and domain.co.nr? Aren't they at about the same level with subdomain.domain.cc and subdomain.domain.nr? Just why they can but we can't, i wonder?

You mean something like that 'max boost area' or something? (dunno, read that before in a glance of some hosts)
That, without any doubt, will definitely killed my economic system lol

And for the traffic you said, i have 3000+ pageviews from indonesia and 300+ this month (based on the stat in my host panel)
But still it is quite unfair to compare, i must say
As i mentioned above, my indonesian hosting server sucks at serving bandwith for foreigners: it may be REALLY lag, timed out, or even can't resolve the address

It is something like what Akamai (https://www.akamai.com/de/de/) provides. Btw, what is the experience like surfing an "outside" website? Is the speed aint too bad, then just host it outside.

ok
done it... trying to add my international sub-domain to a free host, i mean. though i don't know if it will worked out since my dns hasn't updated yet :D
anyway, this is what i've done:
- create a subdomain and named it international.audition.fouempire.net (ok, i know it's sub-sub-domain) > success
- make it as add on domain in byethost > success
- change my domain dns to point byethost's ns
- try to create smf forum using byethost's "easy script installation" > success
- check if my indonesia host's disk space wiped out (i don't have enough disk space on it to build smf forum lol) > ok, nothing happened there
- try to open my international.audition.fouempire.net > still using the indonesian hosting server (indonesia flag in the firefox address bar), fail :(

how about someone try to open the url http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ? if you can open the domain, or find the U.S. Flag in the firefox address bar (flagfox), then it's a success :)
but if it is not, well... fail :D

sorry for doble posting my own thread, but....... I MADE IT ! :(
now http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ points to byethost's hosting server, while http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ still points to plasahosting's hosting server, without have anything to affect my indonesian hosting server
now i think i can put in trap's hosting server without any problem :)

(surely hoped it would turn out the same though...)

Edited by FouGilang (see edit history)