xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nameless_

I Need Suggestions Of My Personal Site Im sorry for having two threads going at once... again... :( :(

Hiya, people, this is another thread that I need answered... but I think it will be (sorry about this) longer than my other email suggestions thread. So I have a personal site that is now called myrealname.com*** So... what am I meant to put in it? I want to have a blog, but I don't know if it will do as well in SEO if it is in a subdomain like blog.myrealname.com. And I also want to have static pages for my introduction or whatever... does anyone have any suggestions?Also, because I want to contact my family, I also want to have a personal blog that only they can access to. So I will need a permission views thing set up, so that only people that have the username and password will be able to access to my personal blog on my personal site. Any ideas how to set it up? I'm searching my head for ideas but I don't know... I might put some of my artworks and photography on it, but I have at most, 5GBs of diskspace and 50GBs bandwidth if I post 50 posts on my hosting company's forum per month (which is easy, I just have to post one liners), and I currently have 1 GB diskspace and 10 GB bandwidth, and I don't know if that is enough for a photoblog (not regularly, just occasionally). What will you put if you had a website called myrealname.com??? And it's all yours? What do people usually put? Anyway... I'm just here for suggestions, so just hit me with anything. Literally. I won't mind if it's a bit silly. Any ideas will be accepted!!!

Well, if you really have a site called yourrealname.com which is meant to be your personal/clan/group site, just put whatever you want there and say "THIS IS REAL, THIS IS ME" :(I dont know what you want to do with SEO, but i'm sure if your site is good, it doesnt matter it's top-level-domain or just a sub-domain (just make sure you can verify it in google) :DWhy dont you try wordpress for your blog? That's the best blogging cms i've seen, and it has the welcoming static page like you wanted :DAbout the personal blog, Does your host have any support for .htaccess?If yes, it would be easy. Just open your cpanel and password protect your personal blog directories :)1GB means 1kMB... So assuming that 1 picture size is 5MB, you can put up to 200 picture thereIf you just put it occassinally, say 5 pics / month, you can use your 1gb hosting for 40 month :D

Edited by FouGilang (see edit history)

@Nameless_

1) You can also put your blog at http://www.yourrealname.com/blog/*

Does this method has an advantage in SEO, when creating backlinks etc... ??

2) If you intend to use Drupal. You can provide access to your personal stuff to only certain members. To do that :

I) Create a new Role - 'Family'
II) Assign this Role to users to which you want to give access to your personal stuff.
III) Assign permissions to this Role to view your personal stuff.

3) You may want to use gallery module in drupal to show your artwork/phographs.

What to write in personal blog ?? I keep asking the same question to myself ...

What you want to express to your family ?? that you are not able to express when you meet them in person ??

I think blog is a way to express yourself. Just be cool and be yourself ... and write about things you believe in and care about. :)
Edited by manish-mohania (see edit history)

I use wordpress for maintaining my personal site, and I blog within a sub-domain, with the main site containing only static pages. And guess what? My blog features on the first page of Google search (6th position, to be exact) for a particular search term, and that one term has managed to bring me some decent traffic for a blog that's less than one month old! So don't worry about SEO - if you feel the blog is better off on a sub-domain then go ahead with the idea.

As for password-protecting your site, I suggest that you look at this thread

For the matter of bandwidth, I think there's no reason to worry about that, at least not in the early days of your site. Is your host Xisto - Web Hosting or someone else? If it's the former then you can always get more bandwidth for free by using myCENTs, right? :)

Finally about the matter of content on a personal website, it's up to your imagination. That's a general answer, but really, it's the thing that works. Rather than simply following others' ideas, try to be creative and just make sure that whatever you keep up on the site is decent and excellent :(

Well, if you really have a site called yourrealname.com which is meant to be your personal/clan/group site, just put whatever you want there and say "THIS IS REAL, THIS IS ME" :) I dont know what you want to do with SEO, but i'm sure if your site is good, it doesnt matter it's top-level-domain or just a sub-domain (just make sure you can verify it in google) :(
Why dont you try wordpress for your blog? That's the best blogging cms i've seen, and it has the welcoming static page like you wanted :D About the personal blog, Does your host have any support for .htaccess?
If yes, it would be easy. Just open your cpanel and password protect your personal blog directories :D
1GB means 1kMB... So assuming that 1 picture size is 5MB, you can put up to 200 picture there
If you just put it occassinally, say 5 pics / month, you can use your 1gb hosting for 40 month :D

No... my site isn't yourrealname.com. It is well, myrealname.com, but you replace that with my actual real name, let's say, for example, johnsmith.com. Sorry for the confusion... yeah well, SEO can come later. I just need to get it set up a few weeks before the end of the school year so that I can show it to people when I move schools... :( Wordpress IS the best blogging CMS, but I need it for other purposes other than blogging too, and Drupal and Joomla is much more flexible in that. And yes, I believe that my host have support for .htaccess, because I can find the file in my filezilla connection page. Do I have to do something with that?

40 months is good, but the pictures will probably be less than that. I will mostly blog with text though. But I seem to be using up my diskspace very fast. I haven't even touch it and it has already used up 8mb. I wonder why...

@Nameless_
1) You can also put your blog at http://www.yourrealname.com/blog/*
Does this method has an advantage in SEO, when creating backlinks etc... ??
2) If you intend to use Drupal. You can provide access to your personal stuff to only certain members. To do that :

I) Create a new Role - 'Family'
II) Assign this Role to users to which you want to give access to your personal stuff.
III) Assign permissions to this Role to view your personal stuff.

3) You may want to use gallery module in drupal to show your artwork/phographs.
What to write in personal blog ?? I keep asking the same question to myself ...
What you want to express to your family ?? that you are not able to express when you meet them in person ??
I think blog is a way to express yourself. Just be cool and be yourself ... and write about things you believe in and care about. :(

I am going to have TWO blogs, just for clarification. One is my public blog, and the other is my personal blog for my family, because a partial portion of my family is overseas, and while I may telephone them once a day, I don't speak much, and obviously I won't be telling them what I did every single day on the phone. It will be much more easier to blog it and let them access it with a username and password. Plus, I only need one username and password, because they will all have access to the same pages anyway. :(

I am thinking of using my public blog to blog about philosophy, life and all that stuff. Do you think you will be interested? This is because I have an interest in that stuff and I would like to share my ideas to everyone. :D It would be wonderful if at least someone would be interested, so I know that my blog and my efforts will not go to waste.

I am also interested in art and photography, and I have some ideas for different projects. Basically, I'm an all rounder... not saying that I am good, I am mostly novice at these things, but I have many interests. Am want my blog to be something like a graphic designers, photographers, and a blogger, so it will intergrate all of those things all together. After all, while you may fit a blog into a certain niche, it is hard to fit a person into a certain niche, so it will be all of these things...
Do you have any idea how to do that?

Also, another quick question: You said that subdomains don't do as well as pages like something.com/blog compared to blog.something.com. Can you explain why? (I'm just thinking, maybe this is another reason why Xisto.com/forums gets good SEO... dunno, just speculating)

I use wordpress for maintaining my personal site, and I blog within a sub-domain, with the main site containing only static pages. And guess what? My blog features on the first page of Google search (6th position, to be exact) for a particular search term, and that one term has managed to bring me some decent traffic for a blog that's less than one month old! So don't worry about SEO - if you feel the blog is better off on a sub-domain then go ahead with the idea. As for password-protecting your site, I suggest that you look at this thread
For the matter of bandwidth, I think there's no reason to worry about that, at least not in the early days of your site. Is your host Xisto - Web Hosting or someone else? If it's the former then you can always get more bandwidth for free by using myCENTs, right? :D
Finally about the matter of content on a personal website, it's up to your imagination. That's a general answer, but really, it's the thing that works. Rather than simply following others' ideas, try to be creative and just make sure that whatever you keep up on the site is decent and excellent :(

No, I don't use Xisto - Web Hosting, I use another host, and hence the 1GB diskspace and 10GB bandwidth. I am not worried about that yet, but I was just thinking about the future. That can come later and I will make another thread on that. I am thinking of moving hosts and coming back to Xisto once I use up all my resources. Hopefully by then though, I will have enough money flowing in from the ads that I won't need to worry about moving hosts, and just have to move to the paid version of my current host. It's very cheap, around $2 USD per month for unlimited hosting, and it is also wind powered and is environmentally friendly, which is exactly what I like, and would also suit the purpose and morals of my site...

The problem is that I need more than one blog, and so I don't think that wordpress would be a good idea. I also need a number of static pages that would allow me to update new things, also similar to a blog, like for my photographic projects and all that, so I thought that having a more flexible CMS would be better. I am thinking of using Drupal because I know how to use that more than Joomla!. I've got a basic idea for my site already, as I have explained before, so I should be fine.

The reason why I was thinking of using a sub-domain is because I can use one, though I don't mind both ways... I mean, what are you meant to do, not use sub domains when you can use them anyway? But I would like it if someone explained why subdomains don't fare as well as pages though. If this is the case I might put my personal blog in a subdomain instead... but I mean, blog.something.com does sound better and is easier to type than something.com/blog, right?

I'll take a look at your thread, thanks... and I think that I will do well in SEO with my domain name. After all, people will get through to my site searching for my name anyway, right?

Wordpress IS the best blogging CMS, but I need it for other purposes other than blogging too, and Drupal and Joomla is much more flexible in that. And yes, I believe that my host have support for .htaccess, because I can find the file in my filezilla connection page. Do I have to do something with that?

ok then, use joomla (if you ask why not drupal, simply because i've never use drupal for my site ...)i think joomla is the best (and free!) CMS around, and with all those non-commercial extensions, plugins, mods, template, whatever-you-need which almost have the same quality with those commercial one :)

you can set the password in your site folder easily from the cpanel, just go to your cpanel, find that security tab, you'll see that "password protect directories" (a folder picture with yellow lock), then select the folder you wish to protect, make username and password, and you're done :(

40 months is good, but the pictures will probably be less than that. I will mostly blog with text though. But I seem to be using up my diskspace very fast. I haven't even touch it and it has already used up 8mb. I wonder why...

blogging with text should cost you less than that, so you may wont need to take more disk spacei dont know why you have used up to 8mb tough, maybe you can check that one with cpanel's "Disk Space Usage" and find what's wrong

The reason why I was thinking of using a sub-domain is because I can use one, though I don't mind both ways... I mean, what are you meant to do, not use sub domains when you can use them anyway? But I would like it if someone explained why subdomains don't fare as well as pages though. If this is the case I might put my personal blog in a subdomain instead... but I mean, blog.something.com does sound better and is easier to type than something.com/blog, right?

It's all up to you. Typing is not a very big issue for most people and if they like your site they will bookmark it, which removes the issue of typing! Creating a sub-domain makes things easy for you to manage and all. If the blog is just part of the main site things may become cluttered sometimes (or not). So it's upto you to make the choice.

hello
it's a good thing and i agree about Joomla, cos you can get a lot of Friendly SEO plugins to use, plus there is a huge community to help you and huge templates and themes which you can use.
You can also use Wordpress, it's a nice and easy to manage Blog platform...

Here is a source of themes and Templates which you can use :

Goodluck!

what you do is ask all your questions on your blog. this will make your blog interactive with the users and possibly having them come back. you can also start blogging about what you learned by asking all your questions.

as far as seo for a personal site, that gets tricky because you wont have any keywords in the domain name and a personal site is more general than anything specific that kewords can influence seo. i would have your main site as the domain name and your blog as a sub domain. with the sub domain, you can call your blog anything you want which allows you to at least enter 1 good keyword for your blog. but remember. whatever keyword or keywords you use to name your blog, you have to enter those key words in to your blog content.

look in to creating an rss feed so people can subscribe

stop asking other peoples opinions about your personal site. in my opinion, if you start using other peoples opinions, it wont be so person to you now will it.

Hiya, people, this is another thread that I need answered... but I think it will be (sorry about this) longer than my other email suggestions thread.
So I have a personal site that is now called myrealname.com*** So... what am I meant to put in it? I want to have a blog, but I don't know if it will do as well in SEO if it is in a subdomain like blog.myrealname.com. And I also want to have static pages for my introduction or whatever... does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, because I want to contact my family, I also want to have a personal blog that only they can access to. So I will need a permission views thing set up, so that only people that have the username and password will be able to access to my personal blog on my personal site. Any ideas how to set it up?

I'm searching my head for ideas but I don't know... I might put some of my artworks and photography on it, but I have at most, 5GBs of diskspace and 50GBs bandwidth if I post 50 posts on my hosting company's forum per month (which is easy, I just have to post one liners), and I currently have 1 GB diskspace and 10 GB bandwidth, and I don't know if that is enough for a photoblog (not regularly, just occasionally).

What will you put if you had a website called myrealname.com??? And it's all yours? What do people usually put? Anyway... I'm just here for suggestions, so just hit me with anything. Literally. I won't mind if it's a bit silly. Any ideas will be accepted!!!

Hmm... OK, thanks for your suggestions... Unfortunately I don't really know how to use Joomla as much as Drupal, so I will be sticking to Drupal instead. I don't know how to use the administrative section all that well... and it seems like you have to press the "close" button every time you open something new and that gets rather annoying after a while. (Yeah, I've been playing all of Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal and after shunning drupal for a while it just seems better to me... I don't really know how to use joomla but I believe that if I get into it I might know it better. But anyway.) And oh yeah, I've already have a template to work on. :) I just need to work on it.

To anwii: Hmm... I already have a vague idea on what to put on my personal website. I am interested in science, psychology, photography, philosophy, spirituality (as most people know), website designs and art... and many more that is similar to that. And I will be trying in integrate all of that into one site. Do you think that is possible? Well, I don't know until I have tried, but I am still open to any ideas.

I am thinking of getting a "Project" page, where I will art-based interests there, like web design and photography and photoshopped stuff on there, and on my blog I will be posting up things on psychology, philosophy and spirituality and how science can prove its existence. Anything related to the mind, that is. I am interested in neurology as well... and well, my personal blog can come after my public blog. The problem is that i want my blog to be white, and my main site to be dark grey (photographs look better with a dark grey background, it seems to me), and I don't know how to make them fit together.

But anyways, what do you think of my idea? Do you think it will work?

sure it will work. the more the better. but you will have to create your main page first before all that. i wouldn't even consider a blog until you have your main page and a few sub pages on your interests. if you have all those interests, then your website should be able to grow in no time

To anwii: Hmm... I already have a vague idea on what to put on my personal website. I am interested in science, psychology, photography, philosophy, spirituality (as most people know), website designs and art... and many more that is similar to that. And I will be trying in integrate all of that into one site. Do you think that is possible? Well, I don't know until I have tried, but I am still open to any ideas.

I am thinking of getting a "Project" page, where I will art-based interests there, like web design and photography and photoshopped stuff on there, and on my blog I will be posting up things on psychology, philosophy and spirituality and how science can prove its existence. Anything related to the mind, that is. I am interested in neurology as well... and well, my personal blog can come after my public blog. The problem is that i want my blog to be white, and my main site to be dark grey (photographs look better with a dark grey background, it seems to me), and I don't know how to make them fit together.

But anyways, what do you think of my idea? Do you think it will work?

Haha, thanks. I am currently working on it on my local webserver... because I am thinking of moving my domain to a new hosting account where my company is, and their hosting applications is currently down at the moment, so I am waiting for them to update before I move everything online and work from there. Currently it is going good at the moment.I haven't exactly worked on any of my "projects" yet, apart from website design, and that is not even personal, because we had to do it at school. I've got two websites that I want to put on though, and they are all made my Microsoft Frontpage 2003 at school. I'm proud to say that in one of them, my school sent it to a competition and I got a highly commended award, so I am definitely putting it up there. :) But I'll have to start taking photos and make some photoshopped graphics soon. I'm sure I'll finish some of them by the end of the year though. :D Pretty sure I'll finish it before the dead line. :( And I already have some ideas for my philosophical/psychological blog articles, so things are running fine at the moment. All thanks to the support that this forum have given to me, I must say. :D

Probably the most popular questions I get anytime I discuss web marketing is usaually how you can push a lot more traffic to a website.1. Small Business Blogs2. SEO3. Article Marketing4. Newsletter Publishing5. Online Networking6. E-mail Signatures7. Paid Advertising Search Engines8. Web Affiliate Marketing