xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ho-oh'sRealm

Do You Like Php?

Do you like coding/editing/using PHP to make your websites?Well, I guess I could say I do.It's a very versatile web language that can be used for all sorts of things, for example, making polls etc. I normally use it to make all the stuff that HTML can't (I prefer to use HTML, since it simpler to use, and obviously easier to use as well). Editing PHP is not too hard, unlike editing Javascript >.>What about you?

Me? I don't know anything about php(), sorry... I have only learnt HTML and CSS, and XML only... I still have a long way to go, I suppose... but I'll survive. I think that I can make a website already for myself without learning that, after I figure out how to solve my losing my public_ftp folder... :) I mean, I can always get the templates off the internet, right?Of course, I'll get there one day though... there is always one thing I don't get about the php code. Why is there always a php() somewhere in the code, and you never ever put anything in the brackets? (()) It is just so weird, don't you think? Oh well, I'll get to know why this is when I get the time to learn it (php)... for the time being, I should be studying for my yearly examinations tomorrow, not posting on Xisto...Oh well, I guess that Xisto is just too addictive for my to stop posting on... :D:(

Lately I've been thinking about posting....but I just can't find anything at all to post about, or reply to that's interesting. I have no time to be posting billions of large posts. I've got too much to do now unfortunately. :) First I became addicted (like you said Nameless) but now...I just can't be bothered anymore. :( It's a real shame for me. >.<

Notice from truefusion:
Try to mention something that is at least on topic.

I personally like PHP, I am using it since version PHP3 and PHP4 which really was a pain, am looking forward for PHP6 though.PHP is a language which has a lot of flaws and bad things, but it works if you have the knowledge to write your applications the way you need, especially since PHP5 when we got OOP it's even more better. The main thing with PHP is you need to know a lot to do something that your application would work normally and couldn't be easily hacked. For example, when you write a really good CMS or use one like wordpress, you can continue only creating everything based on it by writing plugins or modules and editing stuff for your needs, it's always difficult to start everything from a blank page and takes some time.Today, I personally think that PHP applications may continue to developed on frameworks like Zend framework and Cake or on CMS like wordpress, I personally don't like Drupal anymore because of it's structure, same with Joomla which personally for me is to big for a simple site with some dynamic content, there are plenty better and simple and easier to use Content management systems written in PHP. :)

Lately I've been thinking about posting....but I just can't find anything at all to post about, or reply to that's interesting. I have no time to be posting billions of large posts. I've got too much to do now unfortunately. :D First I became addicted (like you said Nameless) but now...I just can't be bothered anymore. :( It's a real shame for me. >.<

Haha... it's not like I WANT to post... I sometimes, if not all the time look towards Xisto with dread... like you, I just can't find anything to post about, apart from replying to some threads and making my "Help!!!" threads that I always seem to have... :-( It's just the fact that I feel guilty missing out a chance to earn some myCENTS and missing out a chance to post of Xisto whenever I can that makes me post... it's not like I have motivation and that I want to post... it's just that it's like I HAVE to post... or I will feel guilty. :) So when I mean addicted, I mean addicted like drug addiction. You don' t want to do it but you have to... in this case I force myself. Of course, now, I have to take breaks a few days or so... and I definitely won' t be posting as much in the coming week because I've got my exams and I am actually meant to be studying instead of posting on Xisto, but anyway... that is why I am now posting non-stop at Xisto so that I can make up for the coming week. it's not like I want to, but I have to. I force myself to or I will feel guilty about it. It's like a chore, basically.

I personally like PHP, I am using it since version PHP3 and PHP4 which really was a pain, am looking forward for PHP6 though.PHP is a language which has a lot of flaws and bad things, but it works if you have the knowledge to write your applications the way you need, especially since PHP5 when we got OOP it's even more better. The main thing with PHP is you need to know a lot to do something that your application would work normally and couldn't be easily hacked. For example, when you write a really good CMS or use one like wordpress, you can continue only creating everything based on it by writing plugins or modules and editing stuff for your needs, it's always difficult to start everything from a blank page and takes some time.

Yeah... I tried to learn php, but after learning that there is PHP 3 and PHP 4, I just couldn't learn it and keep myself going anymore... especially after I finished learning XML and CSS all in one day. And since then, I just couldn't find the time to learn Php, though I suppose I'll have to one day anyway, since I am looking forward to having multiple self-sustaining websites for myself in the future... :D

I still don't understand why you don't like Drupal or Joomla though, and what makes them different from wordpress... they're all the same to me, I think, but only with different functions and things... Wait... do you also create software like Filezilla, Microsoft Word and Outlook with php too?

Most of us are familiar with HTML/XHTML/CSS and PHP. I'm not working in php as my job is on J2EE. So i prefer java and j2ee most of time. But for site making and cms we have php packages better than jsp or asp. PHP is readable and performance of the application based on php is very good. Opinion about this will vary from many programmers. But i found CMS made on asp/jsp are more difficult to manage and read. PHP is much easy to read and learn. You can pick up most of online tutorial and learn php in week or so. There are some good php programmers on Xisto. So if you've any php related issue then post your problem. Me or some other people on Xisto will help you depending upon the complexity of problem. So if you're yet to learn php then just go for it. Read some tutorial and start coding some pages.

I still don't understand why you don't like Drupal or Joomla though, and what makes them different from wordpress... they're all the same to me, I think, but only with different functions and things... Wait... do you also create software like Filezilla, Microsoft Word and Outlook with php too?

When you use drupal like a user there are not difference, but inside the programming is different, it depends on how people are used to do things, wordpress for me is much mroe in my style written software, there drupal isn't and joomla runs on the same core which was written years ago, download old joomla version and current and try to find major differences in the code, of course it works. ;]

With PHP you don't create Filezilla or Word, it's done with programming languages like C++ and C# etc. and PHP is a scripting language.

do you also create software like Filezilla, Microsoft Word and Outlook with php too?

Filezilla, Word are desktop softwares and you have to use languages which are used to produce desktop applications. ASP/PHP are not used for desktop applications. Languages like C++,Delphi,Java and many others are used for developing those programs. There is difference is software developement like desktop apps and web apps. PHP is programming language that allows us to develop web apps. Hope this clears your confusion.

I like php i and i learned it very fast.It is so simple,no events,objects,classes.Because there are no events,objects,classes PHP is not that much powerful,but still it can help you to make very nice website.PHP,HTML,CSS and JavaScript are programming languages which are connected,and you need to use them all.On the PHP place,normally can be and ASP too.I can't just imigine how much pages will not exist if php does not exist.

Well Yes of-course will be that 99% answer for all web developers. Ask a child , do you like chocolates. What do you think will be the right answer in reply. Yes, right guess again.Php is the language more than 80% of the internet is based on where dynamic pages are developed. Apart from that Microsoft ASP and a few cases of jsp are seem . The ground reality is that php is liked by almost all because of its simplicity and regular standard coding technique. At times the codes may be lengthy but then there is a great improvement in the performance if the script in speed, until of-course you are a pathetic programmer.I always say. Php is great.

PHP was my first computer scripting language i have learned and found it easy to use and learn. After using PHP for my websites, i don't see how i can go back to purely static HTML. I have made many things, both related to web development and not, with PHP, and can say that PHP is capable of accomplishing tasks beyond web development.

Wait... do you also create software like Filezilla, Microsoft Word and Outlook with php too?

You can probably make a very simple FTP program and word processor in PHP if you install the right modules, but it won't be as complex, or probably as easy to use, as Filezilla or Microsoft Word (though i have heard people complain about Word's complexity), let alone distribute as easy. You could probably use the Roadsend PHP compiler for distributing purposes, but i'm not sure how practical that is. I don't think it would be that easy to get something at least as close to Outlook Express in PHP. Nevertheless, you can make your own e-mailer if you have the proper mail server installed. As for retrieving e-mail, that would be more difficult.

I love php and this the language make life easier. I started out with perl and for a simple function, I have a few lines of codes. But when I comes to php, I can replicate the same function with lesser coding. So, yes, I like PHP.

The only main problem with PHP is that you have to "host" it, and you can't open it normally in a web browser like HTML or Javascript. You have to "host" it on the internet using Apache, or it doesn't work, even if you're connected to the internet.Other than that, it's a great language, and I do find it quite interesting.

i have been learning php on my own and i think its a great language.Its really easy to learn and the fact that its open source plus there are so many communities online discussing about it is cool because getting help isn't difficult at all.I would give it 4/5 because i haven't come across stuff i don't like about it, but again nothing in life is perfect so there should be something not right somewhere :)