xisto Community
rob86

There Are A Lot Of Old Thread Resurrections... Just because its halloween, doesnt mean we should raise the

I'll admit that I'm guilty of resurrecting ancient threads for some credits when I first became a member here, but I don't do it anymore. I don't like checking View new posts and seeing a bunch of replies to threads of members who have been gone for years. It just seems to make a mess of what's going on and I have to sift through irrelevant things to get to the threads that are worth reading (with active posters!).Of course, I'm not the boss, so if anyone feels the need to bring derelict threads back to life, I won't stop you. Am I the only one who thinks posting in old threads with no active members is kind of a waste of time? I mean the posts where someone from years ago asks a question like, like "How can I save my relationship?" and then someone replies with an answer.. even though the original poster hasn't been on in years..

I understand your point with irrelevant things such as relationship problems posted over a year ago but, some threads have interesting discussions that can still be continued by active members despite the original posters possibly being inactive. People are not really supposed to post duplicate topics of the same subject/matter so sometimes they do have to bring up old posts if they wish to share something about that subject. People may be able to bring up new interesting facts that may spur additional discussion. I do not really like looking at posts from over two years ago but, at the same time, some of the topics worthy of discussion were started that long ago.

Well it seems that this forum rules doesnt have any restriction on bumping old threadsSomething like "this topic has not replied for 1 years, this topic is closed automatically" or "you cant post replies" (saw that one in my online game publisher's forum), yet it still discouraged though o.o

As a general rule, if you have a valid addition to the Topic, no one will mind an old thread being added to, however, be sure not to be posting to 'dead' topics. For instance, one liners or adding a comment to a topic which appears to be resolved is considered spam and that will be deleted or spammed. The result of a spam posting is that your earned mycents is reduced.

Once, when I was new to forum thing and I didn't know how to operate in forums I saw a topic while browsing a forum and I replied to it, later I realized that it was three years old. Sometimes it happens by mistake, please forgive those poor souls who do it by mistake :)

Once, when I was new to forum thing and I didn't know how to operate in forums I saw a topic while browsing a forum and I replied to it, later I realized that it was three years old. Sometimes it happens by mistake, please forgive those poor souls who do it by mistake :)

yes, mistakes can happen, and Moderators have their human side as well. We would not issue warnings on an occasional occurrence, but continuing the 'bumps' might earn a warning.

I tend to think if the topic is interesting and it seems like more people will respond to it, then its worth contributing to. If its relationship related then it will become dated quickly... not that i would really want to reply to those mushy topics anyway, me thinks.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

I actually just vented about this a few months back. :)

What doesn't annoy me about posting in old threads include the good topics that have good discussions, good information, good posts, and anything else that's worth reading. What does annoy me about old threads being resurrected is the fact that new members are probably suddenly trying to post a million short one-liners trying to bring up their post count by adding something completely irrelevant, retarded (subjective), stupid, or what-have-you to topics that are so out-of-date that you have to wonder why we even allow for dumb topics to keep coming up. (Again, subjective.) I think one of the largest reasons that this is happening is the poor search function for Xisto (which doesn't allow for you to find anything that's actually relative to the subject matter you're searching for) and the Similar Topics section that, although brilliantly employed to bring up similar topics based on keywords, doesn't discriminate between what's a few years old and what is still an open and current issue or topic. So, instead of just whining about it some more, I think that we should:

- try to actually utilize working code to create a more effective search function, or even utilize Google within Xisto to be able to search within the forum, to include Boolean functions and the option to exclude content like searching within signatures (which probably adds to the confusion of irrelevant topics on search results)

- mandate a sort order for Similar Topics by date and not to include so many choices

- allow for users to close their own topics if their thread is about a problem they need solving to avoid others from posting in an XX-year-old thread, answering a member's question whom may not even be around anymore, and for an automatic expiry (like a month or so) of inactivity before the thread becomes automatically closed, and giving the OP the choice to reopen their topic if they do so choose to

- utilize the Get New Posts page as the default opening page for users logging in

Yay? Nay?

I actually just vented about this a few months back. :)
- utilize the Get New Posts page as the default opening page for users logging in

Yay? Nay?

I have a bookmark to http://forums.xisto.com/ which is what I use to visit Trap. Instead of forcing a user to see that page by default, maybe it could be encouraged in a welcome PM or something. A lot of people might not know about the view new posts feature on forums, which in my opinion is probably the most useful tool on most forums.

Like rob86, that is what I do...

And then I look at the topics that interest me and then I post there, usually rather long posts, and hopefully high quality, but definitely relevant to the topic. I also don't really like bring old threads up, but like jlhaslip said, I wouldn't mind if the replies to old threads were of long and high quality replies either.

But however, what I really hate the most is when people bring up old threads and do nothing but copy and paste from another website, or do something like that and just post a one liner... not THAT really gets on my nerve-wrecking side and gets me really really angry... I just don't know why... :)

But usually, if I don't find any threads that I find interesting on that day in the "Get-new-posts" section: http://forums.xisto.com/

Then I will either not post for the day, or I will make new threads, which is exactly what I will be going to do after I post this reply up that I am currently typing now... Cheers...

And Happy Halloween and good luck with your Trick-or-treating!!!!

Bumping old threads is okay only if the topic's still relevant to these times - as jlhaslip said above, it's meaningless to comment on something that has been resolved. As a personal rule, I never reply to old threads, and even if someone has resurrected an old thread, I don't reply to it even if the topic's interesting. I don't know why....just can't do it :)

imo it's best to post quality answers and advice even in old threads because Xisto is well known on google. so people google something and it points them to a really old topic they still read it and see the solution and it might solve their problemso even if theres a solution posted in it. if you think you have something valuable to add to it or another solution for it go ahead and post! it will give who ever is reading the thread with the problem some options to go byCheers :)