xisto Community
mm22

Imac: Have And Not-have what hardware the iMac has and what it lacks

I am a casual iMac user and have only started looking into it. Normally I use Linux and sometimes Windows. The iMac is certainly impressive in its design, such a powerful machine in a neat aluminium case is really a nice thing to have on your desk even if you are not a design fanatic. The idea of squeezing everything in this beautiful case and drilling very few holes in it is certainly a good idea towards achieving that beautiful look but I wonder if at least a few basic features should be include for completeness. These include:- a multimedia card reader, i.e. to read SD cards or other types that your camera may use, it is really no big deal to get a separate reader and connect it to one of the USB ports, still it is such a small devices to incorporate that I see no reason why it shouldn't be there, for example next to the dvd drive, for a casual user like me it would make things easier if I didn't have to go look for a cable or a card reader when I just want to quickly transfer a picture from my camera- a few front connectors, I know that would break the design a bit but it is really annoying to access the back of the screen every time you want to connect disconnect headphones or microphone, the same can be said for plugging in a USB pen drive, again you can have an extension cable sticking out from the back but doesn't that also break the design a bit? sure the USB ports on the keyboard (I have the wired version) are very handy for that- an eject button for the DVD, maybe that is a Mac feature, not having a button for that, they want you to click somewhere on the screen every time you want to extract a disk, sleek sure, but sometimes an external button would be more immediate to reachAs I said I am only a casual user of the iMac so all I say are first look things that I noticed, not really critiques. In fact I am not a design or ergonomics fanatic at all, in case the latter would come first for me though. But it seems like Apple puts a lot of effort in this area. Attention to detail is really amazing though, see for example the power cord plugging into the iMac without leaving any gap as if it were one with it! And the keyboard USB connector with a dent to make it easier to insert it in the right direction. Simply amazing.