xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dooga

Got Questions? Theyve got answers

We've all heard of wikipedia, the free enciclopedia... better than a search engine who finds links to other websites. We know about dictionary.com... the easiest most popular dictionary online. We know about thesaurus.com. the simplest thesaurus you can ever find. But do we know about answers.com? Answers.com can be your fastest resources when it comes to research. Unlike wikipedia, this website also offers software, such as "one click answers" for free! Unlike dictionary.com, the answers.com dictionary doesn't offer popups, only google ads, and has features such as "pronounciation key" and actual pronouciation of the word in a midi file. Here's an example! Just click the little speaker! This is way better than dictionary.com! Click here for an example of answers.com For the word test, there's this definition: A procedure for critical evaluation; a means of determining the presence, quality, or truth of something; a trial: a test of one's eyesight; subjecting a hypothesis to a test; a test of an athlete's endurance. A series of questions, problems, or physical responses designed to determine knowledge, intelligence, or ability. A basis for evaluation or judgment: A test of democratic government is how Congress and the president work together (Haynes Johnson). (Source: http://www.answers.com/)

Compared to dictionary.com definition: A procedure for critical evaluation; a means of determining the presence, quality, or truth of something; a trial: a test of one's eyesight; subjecting a hypothesis to a test; a test of an athlete's endurance. A series of questions, problems, or physical responses designed to determine knowledge, intelligence, or ability. A basis for evaluation or judgment: A test of democratic government is how Congress and the president work together (Haynes Johnson). (Source: http://www.dictionary.com/) What's the difference? No difference! Except... Look at the amount of picture-bandwidth hogging ads you get in dictionary.com! And try clicking on that little speaker... got money? In short, I think dictionary.com just isn't good enough for answers.com One last thing to prove it... Click here to go to google's searched page on "test". Click on the word "definition" on the top corner... what site does google use? What site did google use BEFORE? And this is what answers.com says to us about using their service... 5 Top reasons: 1. The right tool for the right query. 2. Nothing beats the speed of 1-Click Answers 3. Who needs overload? 4. You can count on us 5. Bigger, broader, more dynamic than any encyclopedia Don't get it? Click here to go to their page. It's time to make the swich! Stop using dictionary.com! Also here's a flash demo! More, here's something for you webmasters! And in conclusion, why don't we just commemorate* this great new acertainment* ? ~ D O O G A :D

EDIT // I found it. I'm a doofus. I think you might have found yourself a convert :DWhat about the handy dandy (the kids I babysit get Blues Clues stuck in my head - it's awkward when stuff like that comes out in a conversation :D) thesaurus? We writers would be bent double over our journals without it. And I'm too lazy to be bothered about going and finding a book and thumbing around in it.

Well. I think i've found a new website for me to use. However, untill theres a firefox toolbar for it, I won't be using it much. I'm just lazy.Anyway, a very good site. Are they basicly a copy of Dictionary.com with no adverts and free stuff? If so, great!

Wow, I was missing out. That should cut my researchproject time by an hour :D. Thanks Dooga. But itimplements the other sites, I wonder if that's fullylegal.

It's not copying, the other sites got the definitions from actual dictionaries, and they reference them. And there is a firefox toolbar! Either go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and click on install firefox plugin, or use http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/');' target='_blank'>THIS LINK