xisto Community
Spyda

Compaq Presario Overheating

I currently have a Compaq Presario F700 laptop. It runs on Windows Vista. I honestly love this laptop and everything about, the only problem is the overheating. It will frequently overheat and then just turn off. When I restart it, the time zone will be off and a bunch of other settings won't be the same. I tried getting one of the cooler pads to help solve the problem, but that really hasn't done much. Anybody have this laptop or any solution to this problem?

If you've had the laptop for a while and this has just started happening, then it could be due to dust reducing air flow. If you know how to disassemble a laptop, then you should check for clumps of dust within the system.

If you've had the laptop for a while and this has just started happening, then it could be due to dust reducing air flow. If you know how to disassemble a laptop, then you should check for clumps of dust within the system.

Bingo, I will bet anything that is the problem. that or a fan has stopped working. I know the laptop that I had before it gave up the ghost had a fan that was so quiet I did not even know it has stopped and caused it to over heat and well fry.
Good luck.

The timezone being off when you restart points to a problem perhaps a bit more serious than dust (although cleaning your laptop of dust can't do any harm). Are you sure the laptop is turning off from overheating? Feel the temperature of the air coming out of the vents and see if it really is getting particularly hot. Also, download CoreTemp and monitor your temperatures with it. It will tell you the maximum temperature your CPU can handle, and the temperature it is running at. If the temperature gets close to the limit then it is clearly a cooling issue. If not then you have some other problem that needs looking at.

i dont know if this is related. but just in case, i also experience the turn off and setting return in orginal setting timezone/clock/date/and in my start menu it implies some of my prog is newly installed but it isnt(XP). and i found the problem that my ram is already malfunctioning

The timezone being off when you restart points to a problem perhaps a bit more serious than dust (although cleaning your laptop of dust can't do any harm). Are you sure the laptop is turning off from overheating? Feel the temperature of the air coming out of the vents and see if it really is getting particularly hot. Also, download CoreTemp and monitor your temperatures with it. It will tell you the maximum temperature your CPU can handle, and the temperature it is running at. If the temperature gets close to the limit then it is clearly a cooling issue. If not then you have some other problem that needs looking at.

I am 100% sure it's do to overheating as the laptop will get extremely hot. I'm not really keen on disassembling my laptop just yet. I'll download that program you posted rvalkass and see what's up. If worst comes to worst I'll go to Geeksquad at BestBuy and have the maybe check the problem further...

Same problemCompaq Presario Overheating

BK - I had the same problem with my f760nr

I was able to run the internet and email applications without the laptop shutting down but watching a video or playing any type of game would cause it to overheat and shut off.  After following many suggestions I found on the internet, I finally sent it back to HP as it was under warranty.  They replaced the heatsink and fan (known issues with the presario laptops).  No problems for 3 months and then right back to it.  HP refused to fix it again because I was 3 days past the 90 day warranty for the fix.

I got rid of it and bought an Asus ;)

CMOS battery has failed if the timezone is offCompaq Presario Overheating

hey, if your timezone is off, that means that your CMOS battery is dead or dying. The battery holds information like the time when your computer is off, so that it will be there when you come back. There aren't too many other reasons for this to be happening. The battery costs like $5. It is easy to replace in a desktop, but obviously tricky in a laptop. There is a good dissemble guide available if you google it.

-reply by WIll

I have a Compaq pentium III that I borrowed from someone.  It has been working fine for a few weeks.  I put it down for a week and a half and now when I am trying to use it again it will not let me turn it on?  The lights on the computer come on for a second then they blink and turn off.   Then they repeat by turning on and then off again but nothing turns on.  Nothing happens when I hit any keys?

Problem turning on computerCompaq Presario Overheating

I have a Compaq pentium III that is borrowed.  It has been working fine for weeks.  I put it up for a week and a half and now that I am trying to use it again it won't turn on?  When I hold the on button down the light come on the laptop but then a light to the right of the group of lights blinks then all lights go off and nothing starts up?  Then it just repeats on its own.  The light come on for a second, the light to the right in the group of lights comes on then all lights turn off... What is going on?

I had the same problem...Blew out the fan vents with some canned air...Problem solved!! The fan is pretty much silent now, and no more overheating or shutting off by itself!! 

-reply by MikeB

ACTUALLY! I air dusted my laptop a few weeks ago (how long my laptop has not worked right), and...The heatsink fan just stopped working. I had it turned off too! I am hoping it's just the fan, because I really didn't have any real problems with it.

I notice that it overheats sometimes too, even with the fan. When I set it on my lap..Or on my little desk lap think,  I have to have the side with the fan hanging over so that airflow can get to it. How screwed up is that?

-reply by Phoenix

same problem as overheating really get headaches from this......Compaq Presario Overheating

but I invent my own ideas I know it becoz of the problem of internal cooler but though I can't open the laptop I tried alot to open but one screw can't open then I leave that I go to shop of the technician as well and talk about price to solve the problem of this but it is too expensive for too small problem then I tried the classical P1 style as I join the big fan near to the cooler and attached to power plug then it works so good rather than others not turn off no any reset and everything is quite good till now...Lets try this...It works..

-reply by nirdesh man maharjan

Same problem

<p>BK - I had the same problem with my f760nr</p>

<p> I was able to run the internet and email applications without the laptop shutting down but watching a video or playing any type of game would cause it to overheat and shut off.  After following many suggestions I found on the internet, I finally sent it back to HP as it was under warranty.  They replaced the heatsink and fan (known issues with the presario laptops).  No problems for 3 months and then right back to it.  HP refused to fix it again because I was 3 days past the 90 day warranty for the fix.</p>

<p> I got rid of it and bought an Asus :D</p>

Yeah my laptop is definably out of warranty. Though, even if it was, it seems that they wouldn't be able to solve the problem as they weren't able to solve yours :o

CMOS battery has failed if the timezone is off

<p>hey, if your timezone is off, that means that your CMOS battery is dead or dying. The battery holds information like the time when your computer is off, so that it will be there when you come back. There aren't too many other reasons for this to be happening. The battery costs like $5. It is easy to replace in a desktop, but obviously tricky in a laptop. There is a good dissemble guide available if you google it.</p>

-reply by WIll

Will do.. thanks :P

Problem turning on computer

<p>I have a Compaq pentium III that is borrowed.  It has been working fine for weeks.  I put it up for a week and a half and now that I am trying to use it again it won't turn on?  When I hold the on button down the light come on the laptop but then a light to the right of the group of lights blinks then all lights go off and nothing starts up?  Then it just repeats on its own.  The light come on for a second, the light to the right in the group of lights comes on then all lights turn off... What is going on?</p>

The same problem happens to me after the computer overheats. Though, after 5-15 mns it will turn on fine. Best bet is to contact Compaq support :angel:

Replying to bk2070

Got a F750US Presario, worked like a champ for 2 years and I decieded to go w/a more powerful processer. Then it happened, machine would boot through post and get to windows (vista) and shut down w/o warning. Changed from a TK-57 to TL-64. Same deal on reboot (after 10min cool down) sys time would be back jan 1 2007 and fan and cpu freq/multi/voltage would be erratic (RightMark CPU utilty). I changed to "performance" power plan and e-thing was stable @ 2200 until I tried to tax the CPU then shutdown. Then I change to "power save" freq dropped to 800 per core and all was good. I know now it for sure was thermal because I failed to replace the thermal paste when switching to the new CPU and it boots fine and works ok. Just not looking forward to tearing the machine apart again to apply the paste.