xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
room2593

Team Fortress 2 Scout Guide

Okay, so I've played a great deal of scoutage lately and I think I'm fairly well qualified to write about it. Everybody writes spy guides anyway, so I'm going to mix up the mold. Scout is one of the hardest classes to play correctly. The people I've watched either suck at it or never accomplish anything. I hope to at least affect a few people and help them realize the power of the scout.Weapons:tertiary:The main question is stun vs. double jump. It should, however, be an easy question. My double jump has saved me so many times, and I don't think I have ever actually stunned anyone, no matter how hard I try. The point is: use the normal bat. You lose nothing by doing so.secondary:Use the pistol. Bonk is only good for extremely limited applications, and even after that fact, you're crippled by losing the scout's only bonus: speed. And you lose your invaluable pistol, so no bonk.primary:This is truly a hard question. Which do you use - the FaN or the normal scattergun? I believe it depends on your style of play. If you like being in the main action and helping out the heavies and soldiers and pyros, use the FaN because it will cripple the opposition's movement speed. If you like playing as the scout is meant to be played, go with the normal scattergun. I'll explain.The FaN is good against pyros and other scouts. Against everything else, it is extremely situational. Plus, if you're trying to kill something by ambush, why would you want it flying away from you? Answer: you don't. The FaN can keep back pyros and stop opposing scouts dead in their tracks. That's the only thing for which it is good.The normal scattergun is good for taking out more enemies in a faster time. With the FaN you're crippled by having only two shots per clip. This means that you can kill most normal classes from extreme close range. Then, however, you have to reload and the other dudes will tear you a new hole. With the scattergun you have six shots and fast reload times so that you can take out massive numbers of dudes in a very short amount of time. I've taken four guys in a row with the scattergun (something I never was able to do with the FaN.) I've even taken heavies. Six shots to the face is a lot to overcome.So I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to be really truly useful to your team, use the scattergun.Priorities:1. cap points (why else would valve have given a 2x cap bonus - and it's the only way to win [something people forget])2. flank (nothing is as satisfying as taking out a medic and knowing that you're absolutely crippling the opposing team.)3. cap the flag (this is lowest because an uberpush is usually more effective, especially when coupled with a spy)People you should kill:MedicsI've also played as medic, and I can assure you that scouts (really good ones) are as effective at killing medics as spies (even really good ones). Medics are constantly on the lookout for spies and are always ducking and weaving back and forth. Scouts make up for that by being fast enough to anticipate medic movement. I played on a server where a scout was dominating me four times over because my allies were too stupid to kill him and the needle gun just isn't that effective.I've also played as medic against scouts that always tried to kill the heavy I was healing (and not me). I can assure you, it was effective 0% of the time. Kill medics, please.ScoutsA scout can be very effective against scouts. In a one on one battle, I usually can come out on top (because I use the pistol). In two on one battles with other scouts, it can be extremely situational, though I'll usually kill one of them.The point I'm making is that scouts flank. If you can keep them from flanking, do so.SnipersThey stand veery still, and they are effective versus your team. You can close on them faster than any other class, so just take them out.All other medium classesIt doesn't matter much after that. Everything has more health than you do. If you try and kill a demoman, you're just as likely to die as if you try to kill an engineer. (pretty much)Heavies/sentriesOnly take heavies/sentries if you desperately have to. I have seen scouts go charging in against heavies who are being healed. It doesn't work. The medic can dish health almost as quickly as you can dish out damage.Strategies:Use your pistol as you're closing with enemiesonce you're there, pull out your scattergun, fire a few shots, peel off and retreat if they're not dead. rinse and repeat.The scout's main advantage is speed. Don't get caught in the idea that a scout can one-on-one anybody. They can't. Just deal some damage and hope that by the time you wheel back around, they'll still be there for you to kill.If on the off chance you get caught in a massive firefight, it's best to have the option selected that your gun will reload whenever there are shells missing. This keeps you topped off and you can break the reload animation at any time to fire. The option is in multiplayer options>advanced.To summarize:Cap points, for heaven's sake.Kill medics (you are their greatest fear)Flank. Don't think you have enough health to attack head-on.

This is a pretty nice guide, I suppose. I love playing as Scout, but it is a hard class to play. I would have liked to see some more tips and tricks for different situations and maybe more detailed class to class match-ups and more on what to do when you encounter certain classes. Other than that, it's good. I have TF2 on the 360 unfortunately, so I don't have the luxury of using the alternate weapons that are in the PC version, so it is reassuring to hear that I'm not missing out too much. :P

That guide's a bit out of date, since the Sandman doesn't take your double jump anymore, but instead takes a bit of HP (I think 25, not sure, I don't use it.)Overall, I'm an ok Scoot. I'm not great, just ok, and I agree with everything I've read. Personally, I hate using the FaN and I definitely hate Bonk!, and since the Sandman takes your HP away, I can't see myself using it ever. Generally, I hate using the unlockable weapons for all the classes, aside from the Medic's Bludsauger and Ubersaw, and the Spy's Ambassador and Cloak and Dagger. All the rest are seriously lacking in usefulness, and in the case of the Pyro, make you insanely useless to your team.

Ja, sorry 'bout that doublejump error. I will fix that if I post this anywhere else.As far as class on class matchups, here are some quick guidelines:Medic: This is the guy you should be killing. I don't care if he's surrounded by heavies and pyros, just jump in there and get off as many shots as you can. You should have six until run out (unless you're using the FaN . . . right?) A medic goes down in about 2 1/2 shots if you're not careful and 2 if you are.Seriously, your main objective is to kill medics and capture points. ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME? KILL THIS GUY!Sniper: Two well-aimed shots and his body sprawls on the floor. Feel good about yourself: you just saved all the heavies on your team.Engineer: Again, 2 1/2. Engineers are usually turtled behind their guns. Don't kill them unless they're actually playing engi the way it's meant to be played (agressively). In which case, it's pretty easy. They're like a scout that doesn't have speed.Scout: Aim better. Jump more. Strafe faster. Use the scattergun so that you don't run out of ammo. And when he's closing on you, your pistol is invaluable. Other than that, just cross your fingers and hope. Scout on scout is hard.Demo/Soldier: These are two very different classes, but the tactics for taking them down are exactly the same. They can kill you in a shot if you're not lucky, so you have to ambush them. Every time. Do not charge a soldier head-on, that's stupidity. I suppose that you could stay at a distance and use your pistol, but it's not as good a plan as just leaving and coming back a different way. Valve has been nice to scouts by providing so many alternate avenues of attack. Just leave and come back.In order to kill a demo/soldier, ambush, close with them before you start firing, empty your clip as fast as you can, and if they don't die, leave to fight another day. I've killed plenty of soldiers, but you have to do it like this.Pyro: This one's scary. One touch of his flames and you're less than half health (more if you're using the sandman). The only effective way to deal with pyros is with your pistol. You have superior speed, so you can lead that pyro back to your team mates pretty easily. Unless you happen to come up on him from behind, in which case, close with him and shoot when you're sure of your shot. Take him down and then run on.Heavy: This is madness. A heavy that's already spun up can take a scout before the scout can doublejump. Just don't do it.Unless you come up from behind, in which case, get as close as you can and start circle-strafing in the same direction as his gun. Try to stay against his back. It takes about 4 or 5 shotgun shells or 4 bat hits to take a heavy, so there's no "better" way to do it. Just hope that you can deal damage fast enough that he can't catch you.Though, that phrase just shows the entire point of scout: to deal damage quickly enough to kill the enemy before they know you're there.Though, I guess that is just the point of the whole game, really. Unless you're a turtling engi, but whatever. I'll save my beef with them for another time.And on an additional side note:Yeah, I don't like the unlockables anywhere except medic (for obvious reasons, they're just replacements [except for kritzkrieg, which I still like]) axetinguisher, jarate, and the cloak-and-dagger.

Edited by moderator
Content not unique,found on other sites too (see edit history)

hate to break this to you, but your forgetting one crucial thing about the FaN, its not just called the fan for short, the FaN allows you to fly futher/faster and HIGHER then a normal double jump it literally gives you 2 more air jumps, not strong ones but great for a quick dodge or stop, your also forgetting another thing about the FaN its 20% more bullets per round -10% damage per bullet that means 1 round of a FaN is still far stronger then a normal scattergun.

FINALLY your forgetting this, you can fully reload the FaN much faster then the scatterguns fully reload it actually reloads faster then an individual pump of the scatter gun as well, you didnt take that into account and thus you are noob. 

AGAIN you may not be able to kill a pyro with a shotgun, but I can just because it scatters doesnt mean its not good at good distance, preferable medium just outside of the pyros range you can keep back peddling while pumping him full of lead and ending him in a 2-4 shots, I do this regularly.

demo/soldiers I agree witht he you cant run head long into a soldier,b ut the demo man is another story if you know how to serpintean/double jump at the right times to avoid his charges.

heavies, a spun up heavy+ hall way= not gana happen but yes if you can stay close you can take them out , get up  point blank and the FaN will do much more damage per shot then the scatter, what I generally do is if I can get at least 2 shots off by surprise close up in a heavies back hes a gonner in the next 2. Keep running around if hes actually decent and can keep up with your circles just jump up and use the FaN to propell me in random directions while firing at him combined with double jump, AND yes I have beaten a heavy alone and taken his Samich with this method and it was delcious! BONK.

SCOUT on scout, inless you are a good shot I wouldnt recomend fighting another scout, I can and either with scatter or FaN I'm fine fighting one, but using the pistol is just stupid if hes a good scout and never runs straight at anyone. Its best to just use the scatter gun/FaN for almost the entire fight. 

CAPING INTEL- Wow I really cannot ****ing believe you said that scouts useless at this,, when your team is pushing the best thing for you to do is go the long way you will beat them to the intel long before they show up, (or hopefully jsut as they do) exploting your team as a distraction is ag  great way to get an easy cap. Being the fastest character int he game obviously has no marret to you as a FLAG carrier, as it does in every other CTF game or mini game of all time, small fast traveling is always the best option assuming you can keep your presence hidden for as long as possible.

though I respect your opinions I very dissapointed from your results for some one whos been "scouting alot recently I feel ive earned the right ot type this" the true scouts don't need a stinkin forum for this. Cuz you know what PAL if you came from where I came from, you'd be ****in dead!

-reply by your a noob scout

Damn dude, you couldn't point those things out,without being a total douche about it? "I respect your opinion" was about the only thing in their that wasn't bashing him, and it's obvious you were lying through your teeth... keyboard... whatever, when you said that anyway. Now that I'm done defending some random internet person who I've never met in my life, let me argue his/her/their/my case.

1. I have the FaN, and as far as I've noticed, it still doesn't give you more than a double jump. If it does, and I just haven't noticed it, then it's probably not all that useful.

2. The point about the different ammo capacity and reload times is that while the FaN is strong, unless you're going one-on-one with someone who you can kill with two shots, you're probably going to get blown up or set on fire, or covered in piss from a jar before you can reload.

3. Fighting another scout has never been hard for me if it's in an open area, because I can aim fairly well while jumping, and can both attack and get away with ease. Close quarters is best to surprise them, get in a shot, maybe two if they haven't jumped away by then, and then you'll have the advantage on them.

4. He never said they were useless at capture the flag/intel. He said that there are more effective ways to help capture the opposing intel, or protect your own.