xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Can A Person Who Has Watched Over 200 Movies Direct One?

The other day I was lazily flipping through channels on the ol' idiot box and stopped at a movie which was about a young man who challenges everyone in his village that he would direct a movie in a year. His only skill was that he was an avid movie watcher and thus could understand what movies are "made of". He is mocked and made fun of, but he goes to the city and how he indeed makes a movie forms the rest of the story.Anyway the point is, do you think the movie-watching audience is indeed capable of such a thing? The audience probably watches more movies than the makers, thus they may have some strong opinions about movies and how they ought to be made. If some talented people out of these are given a chance, then they might be able to do something special and create some magic. Do you think this is possible?

That is very very difficult. Sitting and watching movies won't give them the necessary skills to direct a movie. Directing a movie is a very different and complex task. But watching movies will give them a better idea of what is good and what is bad. They know what to do, but don't know how to do. Right? So, some training is must. Directors have to deal with lot of artists, getting best out of them.. etc.. etc.... lots of pressure which makes direction very difficult.

If that's not correct most of the movie critics and reviewers can make wonders in film industry. :P

It is just like watching a cricket or football match. Even though you watch all the matches everyday, it won't make you a better player. You need to play and practice constantly. Watching the matches will teach you some techniques, and some mistakes. So training and trying is important.

So, in my opinion, watching the movies will give them just an idea. Only people who have some basic idea about movie direction and have deep interest in their hearts to direct a movie will have some advantage. Anyway, this is just my opinion. :P

It wouldn't happen in the big league of b.s Hollwood.Theres is just too much to know, outside of just seeing 100 movies. One would have to know about camera angles,and such relevant technical details, and business details.That's why they only choose a director from the inside. There could be exceptions I guess.

Is this a trick question? A person who crawled out of a dark cave he lived in for 20 years could make a better movie than the rubbish Hollywood has been putting out lately. We're (the public in general, not ME) becoming used to the idea that a good movie is a movie with outstanding CGI effects, nude scenes and toilet humor. That's not to say there haven't been a few excellent and original movies, but most are garbage. I guess it depends what you consider a good movie. If your idea of a good movie is one that makes billions of dollars, then I think that's highly unlikely for a humble small town film maker in these times. If your idea of a good movie is a good movie, where you can see through the relative crudeness for what it is, and see the originality and innovation, and don't care if it's going to be a block buster, I think this person could make a great movie. Hollywood is notorious for producing high cost garbage, but there are many lower budget foreign films that are excellent despite their rough finish compared to the polish of a big budget movie.Hitchcock is one of the world's most celebrated directors, and I've seen his lower-budget work, and his short subject films and I think it's great. He has a unique and highly recognizable directing style that he never learned from any book, so where did he learn it? I think he knew what he wanted in a film, he knew what suspense was in his mind, and he did what he could to make those ideas come out on screen. He knew what he wanted his cast to look like, and he made the films how he saw it in his mind. Who knows, but people have been imitating him ever since. I've never seen anyone duplicate his style, even though I'm sure people have studied it in depth. He could have been this small town young man with no education and I'm certain he would have been just as talented.There is no set formula for a good movie. Sure, there are technical gurus, ones who excel in making a movie look professional and polished, but I love simple comedy shows filmed in one room with a limited cast. These are light entertainment, very uplifting, and to me, are worth ten times more than most 2+ hour multi-million dollar movies. Cash cows they may or may not be, but in my mind they are gold.It's the movies that are outside the norm that become most recognizable. Think about 2001: Space Odyssey, if you've seen it. It's a completely unique film. It wasn't going by any formula that was learned. The FX were innovative at the time, before CGI. When I first watched it, I was bored out of my mind, I wasn't used to this slow paced style. I kept thinking, "Huh? This is one of the best films of all time? I can hardly get through it! What's with the weird ending? Why is there no plot?" I had so many preconceptions going into the film, expecting a Star Wars thrill ride, that the entire time I was judging it negatively. When I eventually finished the movie, I had this weird feeling, like I had experienced something strange and it made me think. I eventually realized the greatness of that particular film, it wasn't just a movie, it was almost artwork, and it remains one of the most memorable I've ever seen. I know it's not a low budget film, but my point is it's a different style.Of course, to make it in Bollywood, you'd have to be an expert dance choreographer to do the obligatory dance scenes, wouldn't you? Or maybe people in India are born knowing how to dance... hmm.Well then, that was quite a ramble. Knowing me, I probably went off tangent and completely forgot to reply to the original post.

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

I think watching movies and directing them are two completely different things. You may have the best ideas in the world but if you are unable to convey said ideas to others your ideas will never come true. Along with this, you need to have more than just an idea - you need a dream. You need to understand all aspects of the movies, understand budgets and how they affect you, and everything else. There's just a lot more to it than most people know about.

this is a dumb question. obviously watching 200 movies doesn't give anyone the ability to direct one. directing takes vision and creativity. watching a movie doesn't take much at all.however. if someone does have what it takes to direct, watching movies can help with creative insight, but there are MANY factors in directing.

I think it is not about watching movies, you have to go to some school or something similar like a course. Because making a movie needs lots of stuff and knowledge. I guess this can't be done by a simple person and watching 200 movies.

can direct? YES. anyone can! :P can direct an honest-to-goodness great film, critically and box-office-wise? NO. not until one learned the ropes of the trade, after one's "virginal" film directing work. it would take a lifetime to hone these skills. even a professional director has got a lot to learn from every one of his works. not even watching all the best pictures in the world can prepare a greenhorn to the task at hand of being a director. but a love of movies will add up to megging a great film, if one is inclined to direct one... after a painstaking learning of every aspect of filmmaking, of course. :P

I don't think anyone can possibly do this with great success. In the first place, no producer would be willing to give such directors a chance. Let us suppose the 'director' decides to produce his own film. Even then, without any previous knowledge about how film-making is done, he has absolutely no chance of making a good movie. As some people have said above, it is technically possible, but the result will most probably be really very bad! It wouldn't do much good to the producers or the audience so it is better to stop thinking about such projects in the first place!!!

Directing a movie requires much more ability then just knowing that you watched 200 of them. You need to have knowledge of what you are doing and you need to have worked with some successful people or at least people who know what it takes to direct a movie, When you watch a movie, you are only seeing the final pieces all mashed together. You aren't seeing the hardwork, the hours, ect that all occur behind the scenes. So go out, find some directors who are willing to have you shadow then, then learn about it before trying to actually direct one.

Observation is good skill. Sometimes by harnessing this skill you improve a lot. But at the end you've try things on your own. Like programming, you can read a lot of code and can learn good practices and tricks. But if you don't code on your own and use them in some project then it will not at all be useful. In case of direction, there are plenty of elements to look for like actors, sets, voice, makeup and lines etc. You can watch lot of movies but at the end you've to take a look at all these variables in mind. Then you've to get in sync with cameraman to check each and every angle and actions, results. This process is very exhaustive, sometimes you've to take lot of shots to complete simple small scene. I have few people nearby my place learning film making, radio jockey and acting. We have film institute nearby. So many future directors and actors are there. They spend lot of time watching movies but at the end, they have to practice a lot as well. I've seen some people practicing in canteens and restaurants. So in my opinion just by observing it's not possible to direct movie. You can try though but you've to learn from other directors and unit as well.