xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dragonfang00

Duplicating Harddrive possible?

I have a 40GB harddisk (including OS).. I want to transfer the content to a 500GB.. is it possible? how?

[EDIT]

I found this on cnet. It looks good but the software is 10years outdated. do anyone know a similar software?

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by dragonfang00 (see edit history)

You can put in the second HDD to your PC and then copy and paste the information from the 40 to your 500 oryou can use an external HDD enclosure for the 500 (or the 40) and copy the information like that.In terms of cloning an entire HDD including the OS, I don't think that's possible due to how bootloaders and whatnot are stored.

What kind of operating system are we talking about? If it's Linux, then it is possible—or to be more accurate, it is simpler; though you'd have to reinstall the boot loader if you aren't going to be using the 40GB HDD as the primary HDD. Pop in a LiveCD and make sure both HDDs are mounted and run

CONSOLE
cp --preserve=all -r /path/to/first/hdd /path/to/second/hdd
I've never attempted to do anything like this with Windows, so i am uncertain on how it would turn out. But with Windows it is usually better to just reinstall Windows, in this case on the new HDD and copy all of your personal files.

I am using Windows XP. I can do the manual transfer, like installing OS, every piece of software then transfer every piece of files.. the problem is I have plenty of important files and softwares in my 40GB HD so it may take long enough. I also need the internet cookies, bookmarks and such. I am just thinking if there's a simpler and fast alternative. well, thanks anyway.

Edited by dragonfang00 (see edit history)

I am using Windows XP. I can do the manual transfer, like installing OS, every piece of software then transfer every piece of files.. the problem is I have plenty of important files and softwares in my 40GB HD so it may take long enough. I also need the internet cookies, bookmarks and such. I am just thinking if there's a simpler and fast alternative. well, thanks anyway.

Not sure what you would need cookies for but you can copy those as well. I'm not sure the exact folder, just "Search" for "Cookies" on your PC. It should show the folder's location.

As for favorites they are in X:/Documents and Settings/YourUser/Favorites

I'm on Windows 7 so I can't verify that information is correct but I am 100% sure it's in your user/favorites.

I've just remembered a program that may allow you to do what you want, called n-Lite. If i'm not mistaken, this program allows you to make a Windows install CD of your current set-up. It will most likely not include your personal files, and i am uncertain of the file size it'll generate for the ISO, but you may want to check it out.