xisto Community
Nameless_

Email/domain/hosting Question Thread (not Drupal)! So you guys can answer more... but keep the replies coming&#

Hi people...

OK, this is a step back from my current Drupal project at the moment, and this is a thread that is completely Drupal free at the moment, so you guys can truly help me... and don't worry, it's just about general stuff, so I believe that most of you will know the answers to this already...

So let me tell you a secret that no one in the public world knows yet... I'm changing schools!!! Shh... ... keep it quiet!!!

"So what's the big deal?" You might ask. "I don't even know you!!!"

WELL, The big deal is, well, I have found out that my the domain of my name is currently free!!! And I don't know how long it will be free for, and I intend to buy this domain in the next two weeks... before it is take away!!! I know a few people with the same name (and surname!) as me... And you know the other host that I was talking about just a few weeks before?

Well, they provide a mail service (I don't know if Xisto does), but anyway, I thought that it will be a great thing to show off my new email address with a username@myownname.com when I get everyone's contacts and it's be also a great time to show off, though that's not the main point. And so I was thinking of buying a domain name at Xisto, link it to the absolutely free hosting service on the other company and take advantage of their email service. I have currently tried it with my sub domain email address, and it worked!!!

I actually linked it onto the Mac type (Mail) of the Outlook program that you usually find on a Windows server, and it actually worked fine.

SO the problem is, OK, let's say that I have ordered my domain name at Xisto.com. How long does it take for the order to get processed before I can link it to my "site" at my other hosting company. Also, how do I link it on? I mean, if everyone can just type in a random domain name, then it would be easy to steal someone else's domain name.

If I can get the two things to work (both the domain name with all my rights and the linkage to my "site" with the domain name tagged on), then I will be fine... I'm just using the email service, and probably just set up a simple website. Because I personally know that if my friend's email address was something like username@theirownname.com then I'd be rather curious to see what theirownname.com is. So I'll probably set up a simple blog or something like that. :P

I mean, it's so cool, showing off your email like that, and I'll never have to use something@gmail.com or something like that. :P Of course, that means that I'll have to leave the documents and calenders and stuff, but I personally think that it's worth it. :P Of course as well, if I can just link that email and redirect it to gmail that's be even better, but I just need to get the email (and the domain name) working too...

So what's the big deal for you? Well, the BIG DEAL is, if everything works fine and I manage to start a very basic and a very simple website, then I will NO LONGER BE NAMELESS!!!

Yes, so you'll know my real name because I'll be putting a link through it in my signature, and who has ever heard of a nameless person being not nameless? Haha... :)

It can take 12 hours (or so) to process the Domain name purchase. Once your application and payment is completed, the Registrar does a search and all the other stuff they do, then you will actually own the Domain, however, it can take up to 72 hours for the Domain name to be propagated around the web. The propagation involves making the Domain name available to the entire Interwebs so that others can find you.Once you have purchased the Domain, you will simply need to point your Domain to the Domain Name Server of the Hosting Account. A DNS would be something like ns1.computinghost.com or ns2.computinghost.com. Simply insert the DNS into your Domain DNS record. Most Domain Registrars allow you to change the records, but it does take time for the entire Interwebs to see the change.Xisto allows you to purchase the Domain from them and point it to whichever Hosting service you like it to be pointed to.

Wow, that was a long post. My understanding is you were pretty much asking whether or not you can buy a domain, link it to a free host, and still get the xxx@yourname.com email addresses? If so, I'm pretty sure you can.Google, Yahoo, MSN all offer free email addresses based on your domain but (if I understand correctly) you can only link one service to the domain.Google gives like 100 free @yourdomain.com email addresses for free, and you get to choose what they are.Along with this, you can get domain forwarding so someone could send an email to "lawlejrlwejrkwlejrwe@yourdomain.com" and it would still forward it to your main box (with yourdomain being your domain address).Free/paid hosting is about nothing but the website itself. Emails and websites are separate.

Whoa. That's too big post. I guess if you keep on writing this big for simple questions, you'll hardly get replies to your post. Lots of unnecessary stuff for simple question. You can ask question straight away. I can understand the need for Mycent, and one can earn from long post. But you can earn them without posting such un-necessary stuff. It was hard to get what you want from big post. Please be specific. Anyway, your choice if you want to go this way but people will hardly read this much amount of post just to know what is the question.

Let's get back to topic. If you want your own email box with domain then you've options like Google Apps, Hotmail hosted domain, Yahoomail for hosted domains. There are many other mail hosting packages as well. Xisto offers mail-solution for 25$ as far as i know. 5GB of mailbox and 500 mail addresses. You can buy domain from mycent from Xisto - Domains(which is xisto's company for domain registration)and get yourself a mailbox. Your control panel that comes with hosting package has horde,squirelmail and there is one more mail solution. These mail software on your cpanel let's you have your custom mailbox. I hope this helps.

OK, sorry for the long post guys... I was just excited by the mere idea of it, that's all. I'll try and keep this post as short as possible, and maybe in my future posts as well...

And well, I wasn't thinking of doing that post with myCENTS in my mind... soo... yeah. Sorry. :P

Google, Yahoo, MSN all offer free email addresses based on your domain but (if I understand correctly) you can only link one service to the domain.

Google gives like 100 free @yourdomain.com email addresses for free, and you get to choose what they are.

Along with this, you can get domain forwarding so someone could send an email to "lawlejrlwejrkwlejrwe@yourdomain.com" and it would still forward it to your main box (with yourdomain being your domain address).

OK... I've been searching for the Google mail service, because I personally prefer and like Google over the other email providers, but I couldn't find anything on it apart from the Google applications page, but that didn't really provide any help for me. But the domain EMAIL forwarding sounds great... though I don't need that, unless it is compulsory, because I will just be accessing my email with well... my email!

But if I can access my email from anywhere around the globe with my email address (that is under my domain), then that is what I am looking for. Because as far as I have experimented, I have only linked my current experiment domain/email address to the Mail in Mac (equivalent to the Microsoft Outlook on Windows), and therefore will not be able to access my email from anywhere else around the world other than my own local computer when it has internet connection.

Also, I will be making a simple website for myself, because I personally think that it is rather stupid having a something@yourdomain.com email address and not have a website. So yeah...

Whoa. That's too big post. I guess if you keep on writing this big for simple questions, you'll hardly get replies to your post. Lots of unnecessary stuff for simple question. You can ask question straight away. I can understand the need for Mycent, and one can earn from long post. But you can earn them without posting such un-necessary stuff. It was hard to get what you want from big post. Please be specific. Anyway, your choice if you want to go this way but people will hardly read this much amount of post just to know what is the question.

Let's get back to topic. If you want your own email box with domain then you've options like Google Apps, Hotmail hosted domain, Yahoomail for hosted domains. There are many other mail hosting packages as well. Xisto offers mail-solution for 25$ as far as i know. 5GB of mailbox and 500 mail addresses. You can buy domain from mycent from Xisto - Domains(which is xisto's company for domain registration)and get yourself a mailbox. Your control panel that comes with hosting package has horde,squirelmail and there is one more mail solution. These mail software on your cpanel let's you have your custom mailbox. I hope this helps.

Okay, sorry mahesh2k, I guess I was just being myself and I was actually really excited with the idea of it. And I've got until the end of the year to make it work. (It's the school holidays now). I did go to the Google Apps page that you have provided, but that didn't provide me with any information that I need with the free 100 emails@yourdomain.com that rpgsearchez said that they provides (my hosting company only provides 10 or 50 for free with no posts).

The point is just this. I just need an email address that I can just easily access from anywhere and everywhere around the planet where there is an internet connection. If I use something like squirrelmail, horde and that other one, I am assuming that (I haven't used them before) that it is the same as having it on Mail on a Mac or on Outlook on Windows. And this also means that I will not be able to access it anywhere else apart from my own computer.

But if I can log onto Google Mail with myusername@myowndomain.com, like what people usually do with myusername@googlemail.com, then that means that I can have easy access to my mail with nearly unlimited space and free hosting service with calenders and such at anywhere and everywhere in the world.

And also, I don't get the mail.yourdomain.com that is provided at Google Apps. Does that mean that you don't log in on Gmail but there? I went to a certain site's mail.yourdomain.com and it didn't work. And that site said that it uses Google mail as it's host. And you clarify that for me?

(P.S. I won't be using Xisto's email providers because I don't need 500 mail accounts at all. I only need one or two, depending if someone else wants to use my domain - I really doubt that - and I don't even have to use myCENTS on that if I can use Google's email service or the hosting companies service. I will just buy the domain off Xisto.)

So far i understand your question is you need email service. For which Google apps and Hotmail hosted domains is perfect. Most of us are using google apps service. I personally have access to google hosted mail service. And it got nothing to do with my host/domain registrar, i just need MX entries from them. Xisto offers auto-installation process for the google apps domain. On other domain registrars and host, you've to play with MX entry and some even offer auto-installation of google apps. And in order to sign-up at google domains, all you need is MX entry records for the server.(Which you can find on cpanel) Nothing more. I guess you don't read enough information on Google apps site help file or you didn't understood the technical terms.

For google apps, Mail.yourdomain.com service is provided for domains which give correct MX entry records. For those who simply verifies server with google apps xml file. They get another URL for accessing mail i.e. mail.google.com/a/yourdomain.com. This difference is because of MX entry given in the settings while installation. But in both cases you get yourname@domainname.com. And what made you think that Google doesn't provide 100 mail addresses ? I do have email address with mydomain.com. rpgsearch is right with his information. You failed to read and understand how google apps works. Google apps works with most of us. I don't know what made you think that they don't provide name@mydomain.com service for you ?. If you still think like that way they can't provide it, i afraid i can't help in with that. Squirrelmail mail and horde are similar to gmail as they have web interface. They're not like outlook or mail on mac, they have web interface on your control panel. I suggested you Xisto's default mail service from cpanel, cause it was most easiest way to get started with branded domain email box. But you refused it just cause you don't want 500 mail address ? You can open just 1 or 2 ? It's choice and system is not forcing you to use 500. You can buy domain from xisto and use it on Xisto control panel to work with horde,squirelmail on cpanel. But it's your choice. Same is case with google apps, they do provide you with 5-500 email address, you choose to go with 1or 2. Just because they provide large number of mailbox and you've limited need, you'll decline the offer for free-hosted mailbox ?

Well, they provide a mail service (I don't know if Xisto does), but anyway, I thought that it will be a great thing to show off my new email address with a username@myownname.com when I get everyone's contacts and it's be also a great time to show off, though that's not the main point. And so I was thinking of buying a domain name at Xisto, link it to the absolutely free hosting service on the other company and take advantage of their email service. I have currently tried it with my sub domain email address, and it worked!!!

I mean, it's so cool, showing off your email like that, and I'll never have to use something@gmail.com or something like that. :) Of course, that means that I'll have to leave the documents and calenders and stuff, but I personally think that it's worth it. :P Of course as well, if I can just link that email and redirect it to gmail that's be even better, but I just need to get the email (and the domain name) working too...

So what's the big deal for you? Well, the BIG DEAL is, if everything works fine and I manage to start a very basic and a very simple website, then I will NO LONGER BE NAMELESS!!!

Yes, so you'll know my real name because I'll be putting a link through it in my signature, and who has ever heard of a nameless person being not nameless? Haha... :P

Am I reading correctly? Wow nameless! Finally you will get a name and you won't be nameless more. I am really excited about that and feeling good for you.

Yeah! I agree with you that userame@myname.com is really cool. There are a lot of people who do not know much about email addresses and services. They are happy with theirname@gmail.com or something similar. And, if such people see that you have got an email address username@yourname.com they will be really surprised to see and that is the correct time to show off...isn't it?

I am little bit confused. I don't know why you want to switch to web host for just email services when google offers similar service. I think you should purchase domain name of your name and a logic plan using myCENTs at xisto. Then you also don't need to register for email service at google because Xisto - Support will done it for you. Also, I am sure that you would not be running out of myCENTs as you spend most of your time posting here at Xisto. In fact, you would be having a good collection of myCENTs. So, in my opinion stay with Xisto.

Frankly speaking after joining Xisto I can't even think of joining other web host.

And in order to sign-up at google domains, all you need is MX entry records for the server.(Which you can find on cpanel) Nothing more. I guess you don't read enough information on Google apps site help file or you didn't understood the technical terms.

Question One: Um... what exactly are MX records?

Well, I couldn't find anything on the Google apps site at all, so I couldn't really read the information if I couldn't find any in the first place, let alone understanding the technical terms (there wouldn't be technical terms if there wasn't any information in the first place!!!)

A thing to clear up: I'm not only looking for the email service. I will be building up a simple website on a CMS platform as well, because as I said before, it is pretty stupid to get your own email address if you don't use the domain name and build a website, especially if it is for free. :) Which is why I will be linking it to a webhosting service.

And I never said I didn't believe that Google provides 500 email addresses. I just said that I didn't have to use so much... :P Sorry, I didn't understand stuff before, but now I do.

Am I reading correctly? Wow nameless! Finally you will get a name and you won't be nameless more. I am really excited about that and feeling good for you. Yeah! I agree with you that userame@myname.com is really cool. There are a lot of people who do not know much about email addresses and services. They are happy with theirname@gmail.com or something similar. And, if such people see that you have got an email address username@yourname.com they will be really surprised to see and that is the correct time to show off...isn't it?

Woohoo!!! You get my point!!! :P I know, right? Yes, I will not be nameless anymore!!! (Though I will still have "Nameless_" as my Xisto/Xisto username) And I will be able to show off with my email address and hopefully my half finished website when I leave. I'm very excited myself. :)

And I'll have to change my profile text thing here on the forums, of course.

I am little bit confused. I don't know why you want to switch to web host for just email services when google offers similar service. I think you should purchase domain name of your name and a logic plan using myCENTs at xisto. Then you also don't need to register for email service at google because Xisto - Support will done it for you. Also, I am sure that you would not be running out of myCENTs as you spend most of your time posting here at Xisto. In fact, you would be having a good collection of myCENTs. So, in my opinion stay with Xisto.

Frankly speaking after joining Xisto I can't even think of joining other web host.

No, the point is, I'm not going only for the email service, I'll be using the webhosting service too, and I really don't think that 20mb of diskspace and stuff is enough for my site, even if it is very small, and plus, the other webhosting company gives you 10000mb without posting, so why not that one? Plus, if the Xisto Corporation does everything for me, I will not be able to learn and know how to set things up myself (like I did with mail on mac), and I'm pretty sure that I will need to learn that when the time comes. Plus, I am pretty sure that that webhosting company also do things for me, and it is environmentally friendly, because they've got a package that is 100% wind powered. :P And I love the planet too much to watch it die.

And I believe that it is rather easy to set everything up on Google mail as well, so it might not be a problem for me.

And the point isn't me running out of myCENTS. I believe that by the time I go and study for my university entrance exams I will pretty much have enough myCENTS to last me the whole entire two years (maybe, maybe not), but I certainly will be hosting more than one site when the time comes, and so... I don't know, we'll see how things go. But as far as I know, Xisto is the only webhosting company that gives you an unlimited webspace and bandwidth hosting package free with posting. So I'm not ditching Xisto anytime soon, and I'll be moving back here when the time comes, if "the time" ever does. And I don't think that losing my domain name will be a problem then because the registrar will still be Xisto - Web Hosting, and I will make plenty of backups for everything. :)

So, can I outline what I am meant to do? So you people can correct me?

So I go to Xisto - Support.com/billing > Log in > Order > Domain Registration (bottom) > Type in Domain > Do something with ID protection and nameservers (I know what they are) > Check order and Promotional Code? > Check out > Wait for at least 48 hours > Visit site with new domain name!!!

(Correct me if I am wrong.)

Question Two: What is the promotional code? Can you people that know it PM me or post it up here? What does it do?

Questions Three: On the page with the nameservers thing... what exactly is the ID protection? I know it's free and it looks pretty good, but I would like to know what it does exactly.

And that's all (for now). :)

Question One: Um... what exactly are MX records?

Check wikipedia for MX records. In your control panel you get one category for mail and domain, this is where you'll find link to edit MX entry for yourself. This editing is required when you set up google apps or Hotmail hosted domains.

Well, I couldn't find anything on the Google apps site at all, so I couldn't really read the information if I couldn't find any in the first place, let alone understanding the technical terms (there wouldn't be technical terms if there wasn't any information in the first place!!!)

There isn't any information ? Hmm, i found this on their site. Also there is tutorial for setting up google domains. Also there is good tutorial from makeuseof. Though xisto can set it up automatically for you. You can do on your own as well. Tutorial links given here are enough to get you started.

A thing to clear up: I'm not only looking for the email service. I will be building up a simple website on a CMS platform as well, because as I said before, it is pretty stupid to get your own email address if you don't use the domain name and build a website, especially if it is for free. smile.gif Which is why I will be linking it to a webhosting service.

So ? Xisto provides google apps auto-installation as well. This comes with your hosting package. When did we assumed that you just need email service. It's your posts are making confusion. As i said earlier, you wrote too much un-necessary information. There is nothing stupid in getting domain only for email address. Many software companies buy domains just for mailbox. It just depends on your view.

And I never said I didn't believe that Google provides 500 email addresses. I just said that I didn't have to use so much... tongue.gif Sorry, I didn't understand stuff before, but now I do.

Your posts are confusing. And it confused all of us. It's hard to reply you if things just keep changing with every reply. Your that post sound like you reject horde,squirelmail and google apps cause you don't want to use high capacity.

don't be so quick to show your email address in public. the bots will pick it up and you will recieve more spam than saint michael himself is capable of putting out in a lifetime. mark my words....may be something you are proud of, but don't be posting it publically. you have been warned.

also, i recomend google mail services for your domain. they allow 50 @yourdomian email addresses and plenty of space. a lot of features and easy to use.

don't wait too long to pick up that domain you are excited about. you'll kick yourself if it's picked up by someone

good luck to you

p.s.- i wouldn't use any forwarding features. keep your domains and emails seperate from eachother. it's easier to manage that way.

Woohoo!!! You get my point!!! :P I know, right? Yes, I will not be nameless anymore!!! (Though I will still have "Nameless_" as my Xisto/Xisto username) And I will be able to show off with my email address and hopefully my half finished website when I leave. I'm very excited myself. :PAnd I'll have to change my profile text thing here on the forums, of course.

Check wikipedia for MX records. In your control panel you get one category for mail and domain, this is where you'll find link to edit MX entry for yourself. This editing is required when you set up google apps or Hotmail hosted domains.

So ? Xisto provides google apps auto-installation as well. This comes with your hosting package.

OK, sorry. I know, I am confusing... :P I'll take a look at those links of yours. I was searching on the google apps search on the previous link that you gave me and not the actual google site, so I don't know if there is some effect on that. To clear up the confusion, I am buying the domain mainly for the mail service, but I will also be using the hosting service that can accompany it on another webhosting company, merely because they provide much more diskspace and bandwidth for free with no posting required.

So, can I outline what I am meant to do? So you people can correct me?

So I go to Xisto - Support.com/billing > Log in > Order > Domain Registration (bottom) > Type in Domain > Do something with ID protection and nameservers (I know what they are) > Check order and Promotional Code? > Check out > Wait for at least 48 hours > Visit site with new domain name!!!

(Correct me if I am wrong.)

Question One: What is the promotional code? Can you people that know it PM me or post it up here? What does it do?

Questions Two: On the page with the nameservers thing... what exactly is the ID protection? I know it's free and it looks pretty good, but I would like to know what it does exactly.

also, i recomend google mail services for your domain. they allow 50 @yourdomian email addresses and plenty of space. a lot of features and easy to use.

don't wait too long to pick up that domain you are excited about. you'll kick yourself if it's picked up by someone

good luck to you

p.s.- i wouldn't use any forwarding features. keep your domains and emails seperate from eachother. it's easier to manage that way.

OK, cool, thanks... I'll buy it as soon as you people answer my two trivial questions on ID protection and the promotional code. And say yes to what I think the proccess of buying a domain name is. And no, I wasn't thinking of posting up my email publicly. I was thinking of posting the domain name publicly. Through a link, so I won't be writing it out either. Like the "Personal site" links that you see under some Xisto members.

Which is why I will be using a hosting service!!! (I'll suicide if someone takes the domain name.) :P

Question One: What is the promotional code? Can you people that know it PM me or post it up here? What does it do?

A promotional code gives you money off, like a paper money-off voucher in a shop. If you've got one you'd know about it and have a code to type in that box. If you haven't got one, just leave it blank.

Questions Two: On the page with the nameservers thing... what exactly is the ID protection? I know it's free and it looks pretty good, but I would like to know what it does exactly.

If you lookup any of my domains on a whois service, you will find my full name and address, as required by ICANN and the domain registrars. If you use an ID protection service (normally quite an expensive service) then your name and address is replaced with something like this:

Administrative Contact:

PrivacyProtect.org

Domain Admin (contact@privacyprotect.org)

P.O. Box 97

Note - All Postal Mails Rejected, visit Privacyprotect.org

Moergestel

null,5066 ZH

NL

Tel. +45.36946676

However, there are a few things to note. Firstly, people can't contact you directly about your domain - they have to go through this company. Secondly, I think it looks incredibly untrustworthy on any serious website - if you feel the need to hide who you are then I'm unlikely to trust you (a few special circumstances excepted). The most worrying thing is that, under the regulations, PrivacyProtect.org actiually owns the domain name - not you! They let you administer it, but the domain is owned by them because their name is on the records. However, some people like using services like this because they don't want people to know who they are for whatever reason.

Haha, OK, thanks... and I am assuming that the process of ordering is correct? I don't think anyone say it when I put it in quote, so here it is again:

Go to Xisto - Support.com/billing > Log in > Order > Domain Registration (bottom) > Type in Domain > Do something with ID protection and nameservers (I know what they are) > Check order > Check out > Wait for at least 48 hours > Visit site with new domain name!!!

And well, ID protection sounds really good... apart from the fact that privacyprotect.org now owns the domain instead of you. But then... why would anyone want to search up this domain name? (Unless they have the same name as me and they want to know where I live, my phone number, etc, etc...)

Question: Is it possible to check or uncheck the ID protection anytime during the one year period of ordering the domain name?

Well, the main thing is this. Even if I think that I really wouldn't mind if my details are out and about floating on the who is website, I really don't think that my parents will agree letting my do this and all that. Though I am kinda leaning towards and preferring the no ID protection check box, and this domain will not be visited often at all, and I won't be putting the link everywhere around the web on signatures on forums and things.

And well, ID protection sounds really good... apart from the fact that privacyprotect.org now owns the domain instead of you.

No they do not own the Domain. They are an agency set up to protect you and your personal information. They stop spammers from grabbing your information. A middle-man of sorts.The Domain is clearly owned by you as witnessed by your ability to do things like change the name Servers as allowed by the xisto Control Panel which only you, the account and Domain owner, can access.

No they do not own the Domain.

Hopefully we're not swerving too far from the original topic, but they do own the domain. A recent case in the US District Court of California ruled the following:

[...] for domains with "private registration", the privacy service is legally the "owner" of the domain. The privacy service acts as the "cyber-landlord of the Internet real estate", and the domain is "licensed" to the customer of the privacy service.