xisto Community
The Simpleton

The Latest Ps3 Doesn't Support Ps2 Games?

I almost nearly have enough to finally buy the PS3, and ever since the price was decreased recently, I've gotten more excited. However, this page on the Sony site has got me worried. According to it, this new version of the console won't support PS2 games. At least that's what I interpreted from it. Could someone please have a look at this page (click on specifications) and confirm it, or does the line "Playstation 2 Compatability -No " mean something else?

I'm worried because I will mostly be buying only older PS2 titles before being able to get PS3 ones because I want to experience some old PC games on the PS.

The new PS3 does not support PS2 emulation any more unfortunately. The old 'fat' PS3 did support it on certain models, and the compatibility was by no means universal. From Sony's website:

PlayStation / PS one format softwarePS one titles are playable on PlayStation 3 through software emulation and this is available on all PlayStation 3 models. The vast majority of PS one format software titles are playable, including PS one classic titles downloaded from the PlayStation Network, but full compatibility is not guaranteed.

PlayStation 2 format software
PlayStation 2 software is not compatible with PlayStation 3. However, some discontinued models such as PlayStation 3 60GB (Model Number: CECHC03*), support limited compatibility with some PlayStation 2 software.

Only the PS3 60Gb "Fat" has the backward compatibility and so if you own a PS2 fat or slim then that is your best bet to play PS2 games.

I never really understood why some play ps2 and others don't anyways. One would think they would make them all universal since the PS2 could play PSX games... Not to mention if they already made one backwards-compatible then they could transfer the firmware to the other systems.Maybe I'm just missing something and it's harder to implement it than I thought.

I never really understood why some play ps2 and others don't anyways. One would think they would make them all universal since the PS2 could play PSX games... Not to mention if they already made one backwards-compatible then they could transfer the firmware to the other systems.
Maybe I'm just missing something and it's harder to implement it than I thought.

It probably is more complicated then that, the way i see it, what made the old PS3 fat was probably used for PS2 and then the PS3 people thought removing that extra stuff would be an easy way to make the PS3 smaller.

It probably is more complicated then that, the way i see it, what made the old PS3 fat was probably used for PS2 and then the PS3 people thought removing that extra stuff would be an easy way to make the PS3 smaller.

One would assume that because PS3 uses Blue-Ray, and generally BR players can also play DvD's, that the media wouldn't be an issue. That is really the only "hardware" part. The rest of it is based on the firmware.

I don't think the size has anything to do with the capabilities.

Maybe it was just a marketing gimmick.

Well it certainly is a large setback for me for something like this to happen - now what am I going to do about playing the old PS2 games?!I'll have to buy both ps2 and 3 if I want to enjoy both generations of games, right? :P That doesn't really sound practical so I guess I'll have to try some other way to play PS2 games, like emulating them on PC (but that won't give the maximum experience). I don't understand why Sony took this sudden decision anyway - it was all going very well till the last model - one of the major things that set the PS3 apart from the XBOX360 was backward-compatibility and now even this feature has gone :PWell there's nothing much to do now except wait till I can afford to buy PS3 games and then I'll get the console.

One would assume that because PS3 uses Blue-Ray, and generally BR players can also play DvD's, that the media wouldn't be an issue.

That's not always true the bluray player might only support bluray since the PS3 games are burned onto a bluray disk. Much like how just like a DVD player can read DVDs it cant write them. The Ps3 people wouldn't purposely get rid of backwards compatibility unless they really had to.

That's not always true the bluray player might only support bluray since the PS3 games are burned onto a bluray disk. Much like how just like a DVD player can read DVDs it cant write them. The Ps3 people wouldn't purposely get rid of backwards compatibility unless they really had to.

Reading and writing are completely different.

The way at least PC roms work is as follows:

CD-Rom (CD's only)CD Burner (CD's read/write)
DVD-Rom (CD's read, DVD's write)
DVD-RW (CD's read/write, DVD's read/write)
DVD-RW DL (CD's read/write, DVD's read/write, DVD DL read/write)
HD-DVD(CD's read, DVD's read, DVD DL read/write, HD-DVD's read)
HD-DVDR (CD's read/write, DVD's read/write, DVD DL read/write, HD-DVD's read/write)
Blue-Ray (CD's read, DVD's read, DVD DL read, BR read)
BR-RW (CD's read/write, DVD's read/write, DVD DL read/write, BR read/write)

When it comes to PC's the *only* difference so far in terms of compatibility has been with HD and BR because they are competing formats. I just don't see why they would use an inferior Rom for the PS3 (meaning one that could only read BR's since.. Well, you can't even buy one like that as far as I know).