xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shangshaptak

Twenty Cities Most At Risk Due To Climate Change

According to a latest climate change report, these twenty cities are likely to experience catastrophic consequences of climate change. Be warned if you're living in any one of them.

Manila, Philippines
Lagos, Nigeria

Monrovia, Liberia

Karachi, Pakistan

Aden, Yemen

Jakarta, Indonesia

Port Said, Egypt

Khulna, Bangladesh

Kolkata, India

Bangkok, Thailand

Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire

Cotonou, Benin

Chittagong, Bangladesh

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Yangon, Myanmar

Conakry, Guinea

Luanda, Angola

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Dakar, Senegal

Yeah... and have your realised that most of these cities are actually third world countries that are still developing and consists of lots of poor people ? And did you know that the main contributor to global warming is actually America, and they haven't even signed the Kyoto Protocall, with Australia following it...I just can't believe how selfish some people just are... the world is dying, there is no doubt about it, and yet there are still companies that are at the stake because of this trying to buy so-called fake scientists to change the results and the outcomes and make it seem like there is a debate going on about the existence of global warming between the scientists and I must say that I am just so, so, so disappointed in all these companies...God... it's money or the whole planet. And what do these company want? Money!!! But if you think about it, if there's no planet, if there's no Earth, then how is there money? We cannot make this go on, we cannot push out responsibilty to the generations to come. Because if that is the case, then we are selfish, we are immoral, and we deserve to be dead.But there are still companies out there that are hiring frausters to create this commotion, this doubt that global warming isn't real when ALL the evidence points the the fact that it IS real. And we can see it now - glaciers melting, ice shelves breaking off, more land appearing inland, coastlines disappearing to rising sea levels, extreme weathers, etc, etc...And of course, if you think about it, all these companies are in first world countries, not third world countries, and the fact that these rising sea levels will affect the third world countries won't bother them at all, because it does not affect them. Not for the time being anyway. They will only move, they will only take action when it personally affects them, and by the time rising sea levels affect america, it will be too late,Past the point of no return.And what will they seek then? More money? Or their survival? Their meagre lives?I hate greed

report a little late, that's for sure. :P we just had severe flooding in the philippines two saturdays ago brought about by typhoon ondoy (or ketsana, as known by its international name. it poured more water than hurricane katrina did, and we received a months worth of rainwater in just a span of six hours. 80% of our national capital region, and other outlying provinces had been submerged underwater at one point. in some low-lying areas, even whole houses were swallowed by floodwaters and swept cars, properties, and people in its wake. nearly 300 people perished, and less than 50 still unaccounted for and feared dead. relief efforts to half a million affected families is staggerring. even up to now, some areas are still flooded even after a week of considerable dry weather. and just last saturday, a typhoon lashed at our northeastern cities and provinces. and more are expected...just rambling... people will not get that climate change is real and will do nothing to avert its adverse effects until they experience these things themselves, first-hand...

report a little late, that's for sure. :) we just had severe flooding in the philippines two saturdays ago brought about by typhoon ondoy (or ketsana, as known by its international name. it poured more water than hurricane katrina did, and we received a months worth of rainwater in just a span of six hours. 80% of our national capital region, and other outlying provinces had been submerged underwater at one point. in some low-lying areas, even whole houses were swallowed by floodwaters and swept cars, properties, and people in its wake. nearly 300 people perished, and less than 50 still unaccounted for and feared dead. relief efforts to half a million affected families is staggerring. even up to now, some areas are still flooded even after a week of considerable dry weather. and just last saturday, a typhoon lashed at our northeastern cities and provinces. and more are expected...
just rambling... people will not get that climate change is real and will do nothing to avert its adverse effects until they experience these things themselves, first-hand...

Yes... I know... :P I really don't know why though. People are just that selfish. They won't do anything until something happens to them personally, like the death of a family member, or if they have something from themselves... Take, for example, a family that smokes. Suddenly, someone gets lung cancer. A few traumatic days later, that person dies (let's not talk about gender to prevent subconscious prejudice).

OK, so the whole family stops smoking. Or maybe at least smokes less... Now, we all now that on every cigarette and smoke packet, there is a health warning, often a with a very disgusting picture of what they will look like if they don't stop. We all know that there are many countless campaigns to help people stop smoking, including the Kidsline, Helpline, and government advertisments and so forth. (Indonesia is not in this list.).

And yet people still smoke, take up smoking, or introduce smoking to their friends. And yet why don't stop? WHy do they only quit or cease or smoke less and take some action after something personal happens to them?

Let's say YOU'VE got lung cancer. You survived... and let's say that you were a smoker before. The chances are, you'll quit. Or at least try to. Or maybe smoke less, and so does your family members.

It's still the same. People won't take action until something personal happens to them!!!

And while this is about smoking, it is actually the exact same thing for global warming. It is happening everywhere around the world. And yet the country that contributes most to Global Warming doesn't take ANY action at all... they introduce Carbon Reducing Campaigns, etc, but what do they really do? Nothing!!!

But it is now affecting third world country places like Phillipines. And I know that if they could do something to stop that, they will. But they can't, because there isn't a lot of electricity usage. Many people go without internet connection in the Phillipines. But in America, lots of people do. And the people in America that are generating all these carbon emissions from their pointless electricity consumption... the consequences are all going towards the hopeless third world countries like Africa and so forth!!!

STOP ALL THESE POINTLESS ELECTRICITY CONSUMPTION AND HELP SAVE THE WORLD!!!

God... :P:):P

Sorry, serverph... :) I'm not in America, but I can't help feeling negative about them.

It's not due to Global Warming, it's due to Climate change, Climate was changing all the time and it has nothing to do with people as much as you think, naturally nature creates more CO2 than humans, anyway just read on google that Global warming is a myth, most of those cities are placed in semantic areas, near the ocean and etc. It's realy terrible, but most of it is natural.

According to a latest climate change report, these twenty cities are likely to experience catastrophic consequences of climate change. Be warned if you're living in any one of them.
Manila, Philippines

Lagos, Nigeria

Monrovia, Liberia

Karachi, Pakistan

Aden, Yemen

Jakarta, Indonesia

Port Said, Egypt

Khulna, Bangladesh

Kolkata, India

Bangkok, Thailand

Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire

Cotonou, Benin

Chittagong, Bangladesh

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Yangon, Myanmar

Conakry, Guinea

Luanda, Angola

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Dakar, Senegal

If it is true dear friend then I am safe because I am far from Kolkata, India that is around 2000 Kilo Meters. By the way dear friend may I know the source of this information from where did you got this information. What ever it is. It is a good pieace of information. Thanks friend for sharing this information with us at Xisto. 

Twenty cities, is that it? More than twenty countries are at risk - no - currently suffering due to circumstances that humans actually have control over. Crime, poverty, war, etc. Our very planet is at risk of being struck by a large meteorite and wiping out a city or the entire world. I don't really think we have any effect on climate change but there are so many arguments for and against that it's hard to decide what's B.S. and what's fact. I do know one thing and a lot of people have a lot to gain financially and otherwise from the climate change hype. If I were a businessman making extra profit due to people being scared of climate change, heck, I'd be a devout climate change protestor too! "Hey ma'am, did you know in 20 years, your country willl be under water and dried up (yes I meant to say that, in reality many people would be so paranoid they'd miss that contradiction) , unless you shop at my green environmentally friendly store!" Many climatologists and people who are studying this current hype get paid to research this stuff, and what happens if they say climate change is nothing to worry about, there is suddenly a lot less of a use for all the climatologists, until the next era of impending climate doom (it happened more than once). This might come as a shock to some people, but people do some shady things for money. There are a lot of intelligent climatologists, and other climate-related experts that think, or know that climate change caused by humans is a hoax. I can't guarantee whether they are right or wrong, but I think they're just as credible and educated on the subject if not more so than 90% of the people who actively protest global warming. Don't get me wrong here, I don't think we should pollute and litter our hearts out, there are plenty of good reasons to be enviro-friendly, I've seen pictures of big cities and I can't believe people actually live in smog so thick you can't see through it. There's no gain for anyone in not being environmentally friendly, but I don't like the idea of being manipulated to believe we're causing some catastrophe. One thing any person should do, is get their facts from people who know something, that means not Al Gore - not me - not some blogger with statistics he found from a site which obtained them from a guy who got them from some random persons website - and not the people running around with "stop climate change!" signs. I may not know much about Climate Change, but I do know one thing - people are strange. People get caught up in things they don't understand and spend so much time thinking they know what's going on, that they believe they know despite not really knowing a thing.

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

I would of thought that some first world cities would be immediatelyat risk. Places such as Los Angeles, Vancouver and Amsterdam.Regardless, all the climate change news is disturbing.How to change things isn't easy though.

I find it hard to believe that there are people who think that spewing 27 giga tonnes of extra co2 into our atmosphere, an equilibrium evolved under millions of years, has no consequences. It is very sad to see how money can buy some scientists and make them cover the tragedy humans have caused this planet. The truth is that most scientists acknowledge human induced climate change. Those who speak against it are usually somehow connected to money channels leading back to the corporations who profit from various things that are upsetting the climate. Not only that, but they are a minority and usually get a lot of media focus, and sad but true, people will believe anything if presented with sugar on top.

I just want to say.. this.

Beside US and Australia, China and India is the next 2 big nations that will play a big part in the climate change and it doesnt help that they are both growing at tremendous speed. Once they reach saturation point, I think the world will be changed.Off track for a moment. The past 2 weeks had seen natural disaster, one after another. First we witness the sand storm in Australia that covered the entire Sydney sky. Then the typhoon ketsana that stuck Philippines before moving to China, Laos and Vietnam. Then a triple earthquake that struck Samoa Island (a tsunami was generated as a result) and Indonesia (2 earthquakes in 2 days). And finally, typhoon parma is hitting the countries earlier affected by typhoon ketsana. How many times did so many disasters happened in a span of 2 weeks?Sydney sandstorm and typhoons ketsana and parma could be attributed to the climate change. But the 3 earthquakes, they are work of the nature.

If it is true dear friend then I am safe because I am far from Kolkata, India that is around 2000 Kilo Meters. By the way dear friend may I know the source of this information from where did you got this information. What ever it is. It is a good pieace of information. Thanks friend for sharing this information with us at Xisto. 

Here you go, the link to the original report:

http://www.irinnews.org/news/2009/10/01/twenty-cities-most-vulnerable-storm-surges-sea-level-rises

I don't know how to react on this. Should I feel happy that I am not from any of these cities mention in the report or should I feel bad for the people who live in these cities?Now, the time is really crucial. If nothing is done to stop the global warming and pollution right now. It would be really late. Now, it doesn't matter if you are living in any of the cities that are more prone to catastrophic events or are far away from these cities. It is the time when we all should come up together as a unit and do really something. America can play a crucial role in this. Being the superpower and having strong economy they should come up and lead the entire world towards a safer future. I don't want to see the end of life on earth in any way! I think no one wants to see that.

Manila, Philippines

Lagos, Nigeria

Monrovia, Liberia

Karachi, Pakistan

Aden, Yemen

Jakarta, Indonesia

Port Said, Egypt

Khulna, Bangladesh

Kolkata, India

Bangkok, Thailand

Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire

Cotonou, Benin

Chittagong, Bangladesh

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Yangon, Myanmar

Conakry, Guinea

Luanda, Angola

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Dakar, Senegal

Its pitty, most of these cities belong to developing countries when all item which produce dangerous wastage in these countries are being used all over the world especially developed countries. Take example of leather, textile etc which produce dangerous wastages are prepared in these countries but most of the product sell to developed countries and pricess are very normal due to tough compitetion and companies cannot make enough money to process wastage. and Goverment is also poor so life of many poeple are at stake.
I think this matter should be taken on international level and all the developed countries should help these countries. After all, these climate change will not only affect these cities it will affect sorrounding even other countres.