xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Rio De Janeiro Selected As Venue For 2016 Olympic Games

Rio de Janeiro has been chosen as the venue for the 2016 Olympic Games. That's pretty far, isn't it? :P This is the first time the Olympics are being held in a South American country. Naturally, the people over there are all excited and happy. Rio de Janeiro beat Tokyo and Chicago among other cities to successfully bid for the hosting.One funny aspect in this issue is that the US President Barack Obama went before the Olympic committee in the hope to get his home town Chicago to win. But that did not happen and the president was highly critisized fort this move of his, both by his own party and the opposition. Well this is afterall the Olympics and it's not a small mattter, right?Personally I never found the Olympics to be completely exciting. I like it because one can get to see events that aren't usually broadcast on television. Also there are some action-packed events which are enjoyable. Then there are some events which are exciting for the players but boring for the spectators. All in all, watching all the events of the Olympics isn't possible and it would really be stressful. Anyway, people from all over the world pick their facourite event(s) and have fun - that's the spirit of the olympics :P Beijing did a great job hosting the previous Olympics and I'm now looking forward to see what London is gonna do. I don't have much of an idea about Rio, but I heard it's a beautiful place and I think that's going to draw a lot of people in!

Isn't that a cool tourist resort? I too heard it's a very beautiful place to visit. But for the Olympics to be held there it must be a really powerful city with good resources :P I'm sure all the participants will have a really good time in 2016, because that is a very good tourist place to visit and apart from the excitement of participating in the olympics they will also have a good place to chill out!About London....I'm not very excited about the venue but it's not bad either (no offense!) Haven't there been some problems relating something to the London olympics? The logo or something?i don't remember exactly but I did read something about it a long time ago

good job and kudos to rio. :P i hope they stage a great olympics on 2016. what's so annoying is people ranting on chicago's bid, and obama's all-out support. don't the critics know and realize that if chicago won, there will be an influx of jobs and tourism which will at least alleviate the economic conundrum america is in, when it prepares the city in the years leading to the 2016 olympics? oh well, at least rio got it, which may need it more... a shot in the arm to boost its former glory as a tourism haven. as for the upcoming london olympics, i wish i could attend it when the time comes. :P i only read about some logo controversy when they run the london olympics logo, and a submission inadvertently got featured prominently in BBC -- a logo with a goatse design. :P it's still out there somewhere in the interwebs, if you search good enough. :)

Great, everyone said they will be held there.. As I know it's the first time that Olympics are held in South America? A lot of whom thought they will be hold in Chicago or in Rio, but somehow Chicago did not even get to the finals as an Olympic city..Rio will need to invest a lot of money and after the Olympics a lot of buildings will be demolished :P

My friend recently went to Rio. When I told him that the olympics were moving to Rio de Janerio, he looked at me funny. Apparently most of the city is in abject poverty. And there aren't any locations for the games to take place. If Brazil is planning on hosting the games in Rio, they're in a pickle.Is it even possible to start from scratch and build an olympic-worthy city in the few years they have?I don't think it is.

i'm pretty sure Rio can manage with the 2016 olympics. otherwise the olympics committee would not have given them the gig. :P Rio is gonna be hosting the 2014 fifa world cup too, if i'm not mistaken, so that could be a test run of sorts for the olympics. new infrastructure for the olympics is gonna be a boon. they may not have them quite as well as what other cities have in place now but rio is going to have seven plus years to set an olympics standard infrastructure. they can clean up the shantytowns, create jobs, improve security, and boost tourism. rio is not dilapidated as what others perceive it to be. :P as in any country's city, first-world or third-world, there's always the societies' ills and woes. rio is not an exception. but here is an opportunity to tackle them head-on. poverty? jobs! crime? security! dwindling tourism? improved environment! will these be problems be solved by the olympics entirely? not quite, but that's not the point of the olympics, is it? :Pjust the best of luck to rio. give us an enchanting experience as only rio can. :)