xisto Community
mrdee

Mirroring A Domain Name

Not 100% sure if I am posting this in the right topic, but this seemed the closest one to my question I could find:I own a domain name which is always free of charge, it was given to me a number of years ago when the British company Freenetname (now taken over by Madasafish) started up and gave all their new members a free domain name.The domain name also comes with web space and the other things you would expect from an ISP, however, their web space does not give any Server Side facilities, no PHP, no MySQL, not even proper cgi.This means I cannot put a lot of interactive content on my site, all I have is a basic online form, from one of those cut 'n paste sites, which Trap 17 would probably not even allow, i get more spam put through it than anything else, as i can't even secure it or add a Captcha.My question is now: is there a possibility of pointing the domain name at my Trap 17 website, without having to change the DNS details at Madasafish, as a) They don't seem to give you a possibility to do so, and :P Even if I managed to do this, I fear they might scrap my free domain, as they are offering it free of charge, but probably only do so when you keep it hosted with thier company.Can anyone advise me if there is a possibility to use my Xisto space with the existing domain?Thank you in advance for any information.

This means I cannot put a lot of interactive content on my site, all I have is a basic online form, from one of those cut 'n paste sites, which Trap 17 would probably not even allow, i get more spam put through it than anything else, as i can't even secure it or add a Captcha.

I have no idea why Xisto wouldn't let you have a basic online form? If you are referring that Xisto forbids online form because of the spam issue, that's if you wrote a script that can exploit your form and use it to send spam to others than just to you. If you have an online form that gets submitted only to you, there's no limitation.

My question is now: is there a possibility of pointing the domain name at my Trap 17 website, without having to change the DNS details at Madasafish, as a) They don't seem to give you a possibility to do so, and :P Even if I managed to do this, I fear they might scrap my free domain, as they are offering it free of charge, but probably only do so when you keep it hosted with thier company.

I lost you on this one but let me guess what you are trying to say. Are you asking if you can host Madasafish domain name without doing anything at Madasafish hosting/DNS so that you can use Xisto hosting as PHP, CGI or other server side programming that Madasafish doesn't allow you to run? And you don't what to forfeit Madasafish's domain name by doing this?

I don't know if you won't forfeit but you can always use Xisto within iframe.

You don't want to redirect because the URL will change. So it won't show as your domain name anymore. So simply write a script that runs and use it in your Madasafish's page by including it as iframe.

If Madasafish allows PHP include, you can do that as well (which is better than iframe). Xisto will allow another domain to include via PHP. Although this is not a good practice of web designing you can surely achieve what you want--continue to use Madasafish's domain but utilize Xisto's server side scripts.

Here is an experimental HTML code (if PHP include does not work) to include another HTML page from another site in XHTML Strict pages:

<!--[if IE]>

<object classid="clsid:25336920-03F9-11CF-8FD0-00AA00686F13" data="some.html">

<p>backup content</p>

</object>

<![endif]-->

<!--[if !IE]> <-->

<object type="text/html" data="some.html">

<p>backup content</p>

</object>

<!--> <![endif]-->

And on your body tag add:

<body style="border:0;overflow:visible">

Hi BuffaloHelp,

thank you for your reply.

I doubt very much that Madasafish allows PHP include, they only offer the very basic sort of websites.
Forgive my ignorance, but you mention iframe, that term rings a bell, but I am not 100% sure what it is.
Is it a special way of using frames in HTML, or is it a special feature which resides somewhere on the Internet?

Also:

I lost you on this one but let me guess what you are trying to say. Are you asking if you can host Madasafish domain name without doing anything at Madasafish hosting/DNS so that you can use Xisto hosting as PHP, CGI or other server side programming that Madasafish doesn't allow you to run? And you don't what to forfeit Madasafish's domain name by doing this?

Yes, that is what I mean, if I do succeed to point their DNS servers at Xisto (which might not be the case), they might see it as me taking my domain away from them and having it hosted by someone else, so I might forfeit the domain name.

Obviously, I would rather put my website on Xisto because of all the possibilities they offer.

Anyway, thank you so much for your help you have given.