xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

What's Your Typing Speed In Wpm? A few typing test links included here

Here are two different style typing tests.

http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/english
http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php

What WPM do you get on these tests?

I think something strange is going on, because I find 10fastfingers much easier (no punctuation,easy words) and I whiz through , but my WPM is less than TypeOnline.

Anyway, here are my results.

TypeOnlineUK: 123wpm no errors
SpeedTest: 119wpm no errors. -- edit-- 125wpm

I can't remember exactly what my ranking was on speedtest, but it was below 1000. I'm going to try to raise my wpm on Speedtest. It's kind of addictive..

Oh yeah, and try to make few errors when you do the test, one because it lowers your wpm (I tried typing gibberish and got a 0wpm) and two because it's a bad habit to leave errors :lol:

EDIT:

Well after a VERY frustrating 15min, I got 125 wpm on SpeedTest which was my goal. I hated that odd number I got last time. Let me tell you something, it's no fun at all typing that fast. It's incredibly noisy and stressful for me anyway. Even one typo that has to be corrected sets you back like 5 wpm. The weird thing is, I have to NOT concentrate to type fast. If I even stop to think about what I'm doing, my fingers start to stumble!

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

WPM-2197mistakes-109ahaha these are my result because i have just copy paste the paragraph lol.. my original result is thisWPM-115mistakes-0i only used the typeonline copying things is not that easy.. aha specially those commas are the one who keeps me slow

I have been using computers for the last 6 years or so but never felt the need of being a good typist. Because what I did was just watching movies and listening to music and playing games. So I never felt that, I should be able to type at a greater speed. But, when I got an internet connection, I started chatting online, and at that times I realised that my typing speed was very poor and I must improve it. But I didn't try too hard. Just kept chatting a lot and my speed improved automatically but, as the change was significant but the typing approach was very wrong. I didn't use correct fingures to type corresponding letters.But, now I am a computer engineering student and I need to be good at typing so I have seriously started learning typing.As of now I can type 32WPM with 1-5 mistakes. I know its not good but, its just the beginning and I hope to reach the 100 mark soon.Can anybody tell me, how much would it take me to get to that mark.

I have been using computers for the last 6 years or so but never felt the need of being a good typist. Because what I did was just watching movies and listening to music and playing games. So I never felt that, I should be able to type at a greater speed.
But, when I got an internet connection, I started chatting online, and at that times I realised that my typing speed was very poor and I must improve it. But I didn't try too hard. Just kept chatting a lot and my speed improved automatically but, as the change was significant but the typing approach was very wrong. I didn't use correct fingures to type corresponding letters.

But, now I am a computer engineering student and I need to be good at typing so I have seriously started learning typing.
As of now I can type
32WPM with 1-5 mistakes.
I know its not good but, its just the beginning and I hope to reach the 100 mark soon.
Can anybody tell me, how much would it take me to get to that mark.

It was ok you don't have to become a good in typing as long as you can type it's good enough :lol:

I don't know how I learned to type fast, I guess just from a lot of experience typing. I don't remember when or how I switched from looking at the keyboard to being able to type without looking, it just happened gradually. I've never really tried any typing software or typing lessons for any amount of time so I can't say if they work or not. For most things, you don't need to type fast. My fingers sometimes go faster than my brain and I type something stupid without thinking. if I typed slower, I'd have to think my things through!I think it's just like anything though, you have to practice and you get faster and don't have to concentrate as much. If you've ever played a video game, you'll know that the more you play it, the faster you do things without thinking. In racing games people always crash into things the first day but after a while they can race virtual cars like a pro. Typing is like that, but more boring so it seems like learning is work instead of a byproduct of using a computer. I don't know how long it would take, but you don't have to go from 32 to 100 in a week. You can get faster gradually and improve all the time. Finishing what you want to type faster is reward enough for your fingers to constantly push themselves to go faster I think even if you don't actively push yourself to go faster. That's not to say a little extra conscious effort once in a while can't hurt.. it probably will be good. If you often look at the keys, it might be a good idea to try not looking at the keyboard as much as you can.That's probably the most important thing. Your speed increases when you don't have to think about where your fingers are going and that only starts when you make an effort to not "cheat".

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)