xisto Community
TheDisturbedOne

Does Ajax Use A Lot Of Memory, And Slow Things Down?

I made an addition to my forum today, having AJAX replies and a list of topics automatically refreshed by AJAX. My question is, is this using a lot of memory, or slowing things down? The topics are updated every 10 seconds, and the AJAX replies are done every time somebody replies. Thanks for any help.

You might need to alter the settings of that 10 seconds time between refreshes if the Server has issues with the number of requests, or gets bogged down. I'm not sure what the refresh rate for the Shoutbox is on the Xisto Forum, but I would think that it is closer to the 2 minute mark in order to avoid bogging down the server. Another issue would be the "Rate of Posts" for your Forum. If you are getting 50 posts per hour, then 10 seconds is likely too small of a time interval. Even if you are getting 50 posts per minute, 10 seconds might be too small. A quick refresh rate might be okay for continuous data streaming, like Stock Ticker values and Financial information that is critical or for a continuous feed from remote sensing equipment, but I question the 10 second setting for discrete data like posting on a Forum.

If im not wrong, the shout box of Xisto updates every 15 seconds.10 secs, i think is small interval just for listing of topics. It wouldn't hurt if the function for listing of topics wont involve lots of queries with that time interval.

Thanks guys. I lowered it to 30 seconds, since I'm only getting around 60 posts per day around now. The rate the posts is only enabled on a few boards, and the rating system doesn't get used that much, so it *shouldn't* be using up a lot of memory.Yeah, that's why I was asking. The default setting was 10 seconds which is high for even a forum like this. The only other forum that I know of that uses a similar feature is DigitalPoint, and theirs gets updated every second.