xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Installing Wordpress On Multiple Sub-domains?

I'm running wordpress on one of my sub-domains right now and am happy with it. However, I want to start a blog in my native tongue, so I created another sub-domain and used Softacoulous to install wordpress on it, changing the names of the database and the table prefix. however, after I installed it, I found that there was some "Database communication error". I tried deleting the database and starting over again. But there seems to be no use at all. Now what am I supposed to do? I only want to use WP and no other blogging tool. Can someone suggest a way out of this please?

I have done that with no problems at all.Check that you have done everything correctly. Everything in the wp-config.php file should be identical with the other one(That includes db name, user, password etc) except the table prefix.You can optionally try two installs with different database users and table prefixes. Or you can install them on 2 different databases, if you happen to have a spare one.If even that doesn't work, well I don't know what will...

Try communicating with your mysql database by telnet or something similar and try to "use" your new word press database. It might give you a more verbose idea of what's going on, or just use your phpmyadmin to investigate the database. You could install wordpress without softaculous, it might tell you where somethings going wrong. They say you can install it in 5 minutes....

There is a program called "wordpress MU" stands for multi user, and that is the same program as wordpress.com uses, with that not only could you manage multiple blogs, more than that you could set it up to make each new one under a subdomain. but you can do it normally, you are obviously doing something wrong, screenshot what you were doing , maybe the install screen. we can take a look. Otherwise, manual installs are easy, and take 10 minites it might be worth not depending on softalicious.

Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I finally figured out the problem - I used the same username for both the installations and thus there was a collision of sorts. That's why there's been a problem. After using different usernames both the blogs are working fine now :lol:

Hey Simpleton! Do you use Wordpress because you've found it has the best features or because it's the de facto blogging standard? I thought I saw another blogging software that looked good, but nobody seems to use it, so I'm just wondering if Wordpress is "King" of the blogs for a good reason. Wordpress seemed so simple out of the box.. I like my stuff confusing, bloated with useless features and hard to use! :lol:

Hey Simpleton! Do you use Wordpress because you've found it has the best features or because it's the de facto blogging standard? I thought I saw another blogging software that looked good, but nobody seems to use it, so I'm just wondering if Wordpress is "King" of the blogs for a good reason. Wordpress seemed so simple out of the box.. I like my stuff confusing, bloated with useless features and hard to use! :P

What's the other blogging software that you were or have been talking about? I've been searching for the perfect blogging platform and after a few articles it seems to me that Wordpress is the best... I mean, out of the top a hundred top blogs in the world the majority of the blogging platforms that the blogs use is Wordpress, and while I don't know why this is so or anything, I personally think that it is rather satisfying setting up your own blog (even if it's on a local webserver and not a proper sever that links to the internet)... :lol:

But yes... and Wordpress allows you to customise your own blog template as well, not that Blogger doesn't let you do that, but the fact that the Wordpress templates have more files and folders just makes it look more authentic...

Or maybe it's just me and my prejudices...

I've used a lot of engines too but Wordpress has been easy to customize and use that's why I prefer it above the rest. I've never actually used the wordpress blog (on wordpress.com) but the blog engine is easy to install on a site and that's what makes it so good.Anyway, I would also like to know the name of the other software you found Rob. It would be interesting to get to know about WP's rival!