xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nameless_

How Do You Change Hosts? Ive heard that its difficult, so I thought I might ask you g

Hi people...It has come to me that many people complain about changing hosts and all that because it is rather difficult and hard to do so. Which is exactly why I want to know how to change hosts and all that should I ever come to have the need to know about it. Can someone tell me how to change hosts??? (Don't worry, I won't be changing from Xisto because I have not got a website at Xisto yet at all, and I do not intend to let all my hard-earned myCENTS go to waste... it's just for my curiosity... :lol:)Yeah... I mean, I really want to know how to do it... and the thing is, how hard can it be if you just linked all your back up-ed data that your web host has hosted for you and linked it to your new host? Or are there many more steps involved?Can someone shed some light on this topic for me?

The first step to do would be to take a backup of all your files. The next step would be to change the nameservers on your domain, so that they're pointing to your new hosts' nameservers. Then all that remains to be done is to go to your new hosts' control panel, add the domain and I think you're done! That was a pretty short description but I dont think there's anything else to it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please :lol:

I know you can simply copy the files via FTP - download them from your current host via FTP, upload them to your new host via FTP. Then, copy the database across - phpMyAdmin gives you an export option for databases. You might have to configure the MySQL host name if you aren't using "localhost" on both hosting providers.I'm not sure of how you can transfer your domain name - the name server has to point to the new host. I'm guessing you either have to raise a support ticket or you might get a control panel to change the host that the domain is pointing to.

I've done many transfers from one server to another. The main thing boils down to whether you are using a CMS site or flat file. I've dealt with both.If you are doing flat file it's extremely easy. Just download the files and upload them to the new host. Everything will work just as it did before.For CMS you need to get all of the files downloaded, backup the SQL databases, create new databases on the new host, import the SQL information, and then you need to go through the configuration files for your CMS/Forums/ETC. and change your login information to the new stuff (generally the IP will still just be localhost, default IP). After this you are done and everything should be a clone of your previous site, :lol:.It's pretty easy once you understand how the SQL works. It took me a while to completely understand it but now I can do a clone within minutes after I get everything transferred.

Moving websites could be a pain, if you've huge blog or website. Simply copying files via FTP doesn't work. Database related applications need to maintain their table and entries. In such cases moving wordpress, drupal, joomla is pain. Also after moving your website, you've to take care of DNS which takes some time to adjust for your new host.

If you're to move your wordpress installation, then take a look at these tutorial at devlounge and optiniche. Also if you're joomla user then this article will surely help you. Also before moving to another host. Keep your backup of site and don't delete it until your site runs smoothly on new server for a week. after that take a backup on new server as well. Most of the hosts do offer backups, you just need to check it.

Also if you're with hosts like dreamhost,softlayer,rackspace then their support will guide you for most of the transfer issues. Again everyone will have different experience while moving to another host. Some will have positive from their ex-host and new host side. While some will have bad experience with ex-host even during move. I suggest knowing a bit of SQL, before moving CMS/dynamic sites to new host. This will help a lot while moving to new host.

@rpgsearcherzI was wondering if you've had any experience with changing the domain registration to point to the new server instead of the old one. Does the old hosting provider give you a web interface to do this, or do you have to contact one of their support staff to get this done? Also, have you ever 'lost' a domain due to lack of support from the old hosting provider?

@rpgsearcherz
I was wondering if you've had any experience with changing the domain registration to point to the new server instead of the old one. Does the old hosting provider give you a web interface to do this, or do you have to contact one of their support staff to get this done? Also, have you ever 'lost' a domain due to lack of support from the old hosting provider?

Hmm... I'm really not sure how the domain transferring works, as my only actual domain has been through Trap and they give full rights to it.

As long as the domain provider allows you to change the nameservers yourself I don't think there would be an issue. The new host you go to should supply the information (it will be listed as "NS1 and NS2" for Nameserver 1 and Nameserver 2). You would set those to the IP's set forth by the new host, and then in Cpanel you would lock in those domains (there are options in Cpanel for subdomains/domain parking/etc.).

About losing domains, I've heard of many people who have. I think it was GoDaddy that was doing the $1.99 domain registrations and then after the first year they were charging $30 for renewals and if you didn't pay it they would still keep your domain registered but under their name to keep you from going to competitors to get a cheaper one. I'm not 100% sure if that was the company but there was a huge deal about it a while back.

All of my domain transfers were from one free host to another (usually due to SQL issues of one sort or another). Honestly ever since I came to Trap I've had to do no transfers aside from between my two sites (I run "beta" sites on one hosting account and the live site on the other. It helps me iron out issues and all before I release the updates. So for those I never need to change domains or anything, just transfer the data/SQL tables and import them.).

Moving websites could be a pain, if you've huge blog or website. Simply copying files via FTP doesn't work. Database related applications need to maintain their table and entries. In such cases moving wordpress, drupal, joomla is pain. Also after moving your website, you've to take care of DNS which takes some time to adjust for your new host.

If you're to move your wordpress installation, then take a look at these tutorial at devlounge and optiniche. Also if you're joomla user then this article will surely help you. Also before moving to another host. Keep your backup of site and don't delete it until your site runs smoothly on new server for a week. after that take a backup on new server as well. Most of the hosts do offer backups, you just need to check it.

Also if you're with hosts like dreamhost,softlayer,rackspace then their support will guide you for most of the transfer issues. Again everyone will have different experience while moving to another host. Some will have positive from their ex-host and new host side. While some will have bad experience with ex-host even during move. I suggest knowing a bit of SQL, before moving CMS/dynamic sites to new host. This will help a lot while moving to new host.

Wow... you make it sound more complicated than what everyone else that replied in this thread made it...

So, it's much more complicated, or are the others right?

What I'm talking about will be a weblog, because I'm thinking to doing a weblog now first, it seems easier to make and all that. OK, I'll do lots and lots of backups... but what does everyone mean by back upping via and with the FTP? And what's the DNS server? I don't know if I asked that before... I've asked many questions, but if I have please do forgive me.

I've got a short term memory span. :lol:

And cool, thanks for the articles. I'll bookmark this in case I will ever want to or need to use it.

Hmm... I'm really not sure how the domain transferring works, as my only actual domain has been through Trap and they give full rights to it.

As long as the domain provider allows you to change the nameservers yourself I don't think there would be an issue. The new host you go to should supply the information (it will be listed as "NS1 and NS2" for Nameserver 1 and Nameserver 2). You would set those to the IP's set forth by the new host, and then in Cpanel you would lock in those domains (there are options in Cpanel for subdomains/domain parking/etc.).

About losing domains, I've heard of many people who have. I think it was GoDaddy that was doing the $1.99 domain registrations and then after the first year they were charging $30 for renewals and if you didn't pay it they would still keep your domain registered but under their name to keep you from going to competitors to get a cheaper one. I'm not 100% sure if that was the company but there was a huge deal about it a while back.

All of my domain transfers were from one free host to another (usually due to SQL issues of one sort or another). Honestly ever since I came to Trap I've had to do no transfers aside from between my two sites (I run "beta" sites on one hosting account and the live site on the other. It helps me iron out issues and all before I release the updates. So for those I never need to change domains or anything, just transfer the data/SQL tables and import them.).

Aw... what!? Is Godaddy.com like that? Aw... no wonder they do things so cheaply. And I was thinking of, if I ever get the $2 that I need, buy the domains off them!!! But no... there's a $30 thing that they just had to put in and not let you use it for one year. That's sucks...

Can you lose a free domain though?

Wow... you make it sound more complicated than what everyone else that replied in this thread made it... So, it's much more complicated, or are the others right?

What I'm talking about will be a weblog, because I'm thinking to doing a weblog now first, it seems easier to make and all that. OK, I'll do lots and lots of backups... but what does everyone mean by back upping via and with the FTP? And what's the DNS server? I don't know if I asked that before... I've asked many questions, but if I have please do forgive me.

I've got a short term memory span. :lol:

And cool, thanks for the articles. I'll bookmark this in case I will ever want to or need to use it.

Aw... what!? Is Godaddy.com like that? Aw... no wonder they do things so cheaply. And I was thinking of, if I ever get the $2 that I need, buy the domains off them!!! But no... there's a $30 thing that they just had to put in and not let you use it for one year. That's sucks...

Can you lose a free domain though?

It all depends on the host. Some hosts require you let them "own" the domain and you rent it from them, others give you full rights. For example, with T17 you can even get a domain here and get your hosting elsewhere and they will still allow you to use your domain there (I don't condone this, obviously. It's more or less to better illustrate the point that you have *full* control over your domain).

As for your other questions:

DNS is "Dynamic Name Server" and works like this:

You type in an address, say https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl
If you look at the bottom of your screen (or you can use "ping" to ping the address) you will see numbers in the format XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
These numbers are the *true* website address. In fact, you can load any website by using just those numbers.

What the nameserver does is automatically update those numbers everytime you type in the domain (meaning everytime you type https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl it will auto update with the right address for the site).

When you change hosts but keep your domain, you are essentially just changing the numbers in which your domain will automatically update afterwards so people can use the same domain name as previously.

FTP is "File Transport Protocol/File Transfer Protocol." This is your way of uploading files to the server. No matter if you are using a CMS (Content Management System) or flat-file system (nothing but .html's linked together) you will have files there. These must be transferred to the new server to keep your existing settings.

SQL must also be transferred because this contains any articles (For CMS), posts/threads/users/etc. (for forums).

Otherwise you will be starting from scratch.

As for how hard it is to move servers, it's a little confusing at first. Once you understand what you're doing it's very easy because then you'll know what files to change each time, how to change them, and how to update everything as needed.

So, do free domain providers give you "full" rights to your domain name? (Well, for the period that you are using it?)Also... OK...So it'll be hard to first time, but then it'll be easy, right?

Wow... you make it sound more complicated than what everyone else that replied in this thread made it...So, it's much more complicated, or are the others right?What I'm talking about will be a weblog, because I'm thinking to doing a weblog now first, it seems easier to make and all that. OK, I'll do lots and lots of backups... but what does everyone mean by back upping via and with the FTP? And what's the DNS server? I don't know if I asked that before... I've asked many questions, but if I have please do forgive me.

lol, it is complicated. You can't transfer/backup a CMS that easily between hosts. I gave you link to articles. After reading those you think it is easy to transfer CMS ?. And yes, for you CMS is weblog. Even those who are used to this will tell you how careful one needs to go before switching host. Or even backing up data. and as rpgsercherz already explained about DNS. I'll save some keystrokes here.

So, do free domain providers give you "full" rights to your domain name? (Well, for the period that you are using it?)Also... OK...
So it'll be hard to first time, but then it'll be easy, right?

T17 is not free domain providers. You're paying for your domain in one way or the other. That is by usage of Mycents which are considered as US$. For other providers, you get control which is limited. I don't know how many free domain providers are out their which gives you domain security and feature of owing domain name and rights associated with it. If you know any specific user then let us know. Oh and whether it is hard or easy it depends on hosts. that is your earlier and previous. Even if you've enough idea about switching host. You'll follow steps carefully so that is not walk in park especially with SQL based applications (CMS/Forums).

lol, it is complicated. You can't transfer/backup a CMS that easily between hosts. I gave you link to articles. After reading those you think it is easy to transfer CMS ?. And yes, for you CMS is weblog. Even those who are used to this will tell you how careful one needs to go before switching host. Or even backing up data. and as rpgsercherz already explained about DNS. I'll save some keystrokes here.

T17 is not free domain providers. You're paying for your domain in one way or the other. That is by usage of Mycents which are considered as US$. For other providers, you get control which is limited. I don't know how many free domain providers are out their which gives you domain security and feature of owing domain name and rights associated with it. If you know any specific user then let us know. Oh and whether it is hard or easy it depends on hosts. that is your earlier and previous. Even if you've enough idea about switching host. You'll follow steps carefully so that is not walk in park especially with SQL based applications (CMS/Forums).

OK... yeah, cool. Because I've found a Host that gives you 5000 MB Disk space and 50000 MB Bandwidth for posting 50 posts a month, which is easy because I easily did 40 in a day (one line ones count) and 1000 MB Disk space and 10000 Bandwidth for no posting a month at all!!! And I only need to earn $3.67 a month... assuming it is US dollars, it's really cheap compared to Xisto. And it's with a free domain too... with lots of features...

Is that enough (assuming I won't be posting at all) for a weblog?

I might host a top-level (.com) domain here at Xisto and link it to that Host, if that is allowed... which I think it should, as Xisto is not a registrar like Godaddy and name.com and stuff...

While I do everything there at the other host. I don't know what "Search Engine Ad Credits" are, but that's $75, and if you want to pay yearly, then it's $44.00 a year, which is alright if I get enough traffic and enough people clicking on my ads...

(I'm sorry I'm not posting the name here... I'll send it to you through Private Messaging if you want, but I've seen posts being edited because they were classified as "advertising" other hosts on here... or you can search it up).

The main thing is that I was just wondering if 1000 MB Disk space and 10000 Bandwidth is enough, or 5000 MB Disk space and 50000 MB Bandwidth is enough for a starting website weblog...

And I'll add things as things go... and hopefully earn around four dollars a month to keep up hosting, assuming that the "Search Engine Ad Credits" isn't something that you have to pay...

OK... yeah, cool. Because I've found a Host that gives you 5000 MB Disk space and 50000 MB Bandwidth for posting 50 posts a month, which is easy because I easily did 40 in a day (one line ones count) and 1000 MB Disk space and 10000 Bandwidth for no posting a month at all!!!

Such huge disk space and bandwidth ? that is overselling. aah, anyway you'll learn about that soon. Such overselling hosts won't last long. If they do last, i would like to check them out for downtime and features. Even if T17 is saying something like that then i'll say that is overselling. Which i know T17 folks will rarely do for ads. T17/Computinghosts service is realistic than other free hosts.

The main thing is that I was just wondering if 1000 MB Disk space and 10000 Bandwidth is enough, or 5000 MB Disk space and 50000 MB Bandwidth is enough for a starting website weblog...

It is more than enough. I've one blog which is hosted on 50 mb disk space and 1gb bandwidth. and i'm yet to run out of disk space after 1 year of blogging. So it depends on the content hosted on blog like media files etc (images). So the space and bandwidth you mentioned is more than enough. You've enough to play around till you upgrade to higher plan.

Such huge disk space and bandwidth ? that is overselling. aah, anyway you'll learn about that soon. Such overselling hosts won't last long. If they do last, i would like to check them out for downtime and features. Even if T17 is saying something like that then i'll say that is overselling. Which i know T17 folks will rarely do for ads. T17/Computinghosts service is realistic than other free hosts.

It is more than enough. I've one blog which is hosted on 50 mb disk space and 1gb bandwidth. and i'm yet to run out of disk space after 1 year of blogging. So it depends on the content hosted on blog like media files etc (images). So the space and bandwidth you mentioned is more than enough. You've enough to play around till you upgrade to higher plan.

Woohoo!!! That's great then. I'll make an account there... :lol: And I don't even need to post to host!!!

Woohoo!!! That's great then. I'll make an account there... :lol: And I don't even need to post to host!!!

Free hosts should cover everything you need and a lot, lot more.

The reason is that the only time you would really need to upgrade is if you were getting so many hits the server couldn't handle them all. In that case, you would need to upgrade to a VPS or dedicated server anyways, so it's not an issue.

I use free hosts still for testing out various projects before I put them live on my site(s). It allows me to fully experiment with the entire hosts "home folder" without worrying about destroying my forwarding or anything on my real host.