xisto Community
Nameless_

Merging Templates? Another question, yes, from the one and only retarded Nameless_

Another episode of Nameless_'s Stupid and Retarded Questions!!!

Well, not exactly a minute after my first episode, but it IS a few hours later...

Well, I think I can safely say that my search for blog templates is done...

Well, I've found two that I like, and I would like to merge the two of them if it is possible... The first one is the Wordpress provided "In Berlin", and the second one comes from GraphPaperThemes (provided to me by BCD), and it is called Monochrome 1.2.1....

The thing is, I like "In Berlin's" Red Theme, Background and all that, but I also like Monochrome's layout.

I'll see if I can provide a screen shot of two of the templates...

This is the In Berlin Theme:

Posted Image

And THIS is the Monochrome 1.2.1 theme that I like (it's bigger than that, but I've zoomed out once to give you a better view):

Posted Image

I like everything of the Monochrome, but I think that it's just too plain, and the In Berlin Red Colour Choice and template would be nice, though it'd be even nicer if the box thing was wider. The Monochrome also give you the options to let you see links and all that at the bottom in the black link thing, I think, but it doesn't has anything in it yet. And the In Berlin doesn't have that.

I want to merge the two sites together, so the In Berlin can have the Monochrome's functions, and the Monochrome can look less plain with more colour (red) and style.

Are there any tips of changing it so the template suits my needs?

The easier way around to do it will be to start with the Monochrome theme and change the colours to suit you. Changing the colours on that theme will be much easier than changing the layout of the In Berlin theme.For each part you want to change in the theme, you need to work out whether it is provided by an image (things like gradients, complex patterns, anything that isn't a simple, single block colour) or is defined in the CSS (text colours, link colours, border colours, anything that is a single block colour). If it is an image, open up the relevant image in something like The GIMP and change it to the colours you want. Most gradients are created with images that are 1px wide and repeated, so looking for images with a dimension of 1 in one direction should help you find those.If it is a block colour then you'll need to change the CSS file. Find the relevant section in the CSS file (it should be well commented to help you out) that deals with the part you want to change. Change the colour code to the new colour and you're done.Remember to keep a backup of the original files, and take regular backups after each change, just in case you suddenly turn the whole site lime green and can't work out how to reverse what you did :lol:

The easier way around to do it will be to start with the Monochrome theme and change the colours to suit you. Changing the colours on that theme will be much easier than changing the layout of the In Berlin theme.

For each part you want to change in the theme, you need to work out whether it is provided by an image (things like gradients, complex patterns, anything that isn't a simple, single block colour) or is defined in the CSS (text colours, link colours, border colours, anything that is a single block colour).

If it is an image, open up the relevant image in something like The GIMP and change it to the colours you want. Most gradients are created with images that are 1px wide and repeated, so looking for images with a dimension of 1 in one direction should help you find those.

If it is a block colour then you'll need to change the CSS file. Find the relevant section in the CSS file (it should be well commented to help you out) that deals with the part you want to change. Change the colour code to the new colour and you're done.

Remember to keep a backup of the original files, and take regular backups after each change, just in case you suddenly turn the whole site lime green and can't work out how to reverse what you did :lol:

Oooh... thanks. The Wordpress.org main page also said I'll need to learn PHP, and when I went to w3schools.com to learn PHP, it said that I will need to now Javascript as well as HTML, so I'm dunking my head into Javascript right now.

There is a problem that I've found with the Monoschrome Template. The thing is, when I do a post, all the mini boxes at the bottom shows the same newest post, while I want it to show the newest posts in each different category (for example, crime, sport, politics, research, etc...).

Like this (another screenshot):

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Sorry, if the posts are long then that happens... :P, so I only put the top and the bottom part of the whole website. I have zoomed out to the very most... the middle section is just blank with the side bar...)

So I've also downloaded the Monochrome Gallery Template. This is different because the category thing actually works, but there's a blank space where the side bar should be, I really don't know what happened, and there is a black space for pictures, which wouldn't suit me because I won't have a lot of pictures at all, and I don't know how to use it in the first place, and I don't think I'm allowed to use them like that even if I source them to the actual site... mini pictures might be OK but not big ones for copy right issues... but it's be great if I can use that.

(Note: I will also have to leave space for some ads somehow, somewhere on the site... but I'll figure that out later.)

This is the Monochrome GALLERY template:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see, that is a lot less longer than the Monochrome Template... but the sidebar is missing, and I need it back!!! :(

The Monochrome doesn't even have a side bar at all, but at least they filled up the space.

I don't think that the black thing at the bottom serves as a sidebar, because it doesn't show up the default sidebar of all Wordpress templates. (The Wordpress blogroll, archives, and all that in the "In Berline" Theme.

So I'll need to kinda give a sidebar to the Monochrome Gallery, work out a way to replace the Black Slideshow bit with an actual post like the Monochrome, but bigger, like the "In Berlin", and somehow change everything to red and not solid black... :(